Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4046962 - 12/07/14 09:29 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: Ratcatcher]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: Ratcatcher
A question on melting a ship.

If you melt one, do you get a credit that can then be used to put towards a more expensive ship, so you would end up paying some real cash and the credit? Or can you only use it on its own.

I'm tempted by the redeemer but can't justify getting another without trading one in.

You are correct. When you melt it, its an irreversible process but your entire monies spent would stay as a credit in your account. You can use it right away or save it. For example, someone sent me 2x $50.00 gift certificates for in store credit and when I applied that and my 350R melting ($140.00 credit), I had $240.00 to apply toward my Carrick. I've melted some of the 6 month insurance ships for their anniversary equivalents (24 months versus 6 months) and there was no additional cost.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4047227 - 12/07/14 10:06 PM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: strykerpsg]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Many thanks for the clarification Stryker.

#4048067 - 12/09/14 03:00 PM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Aurora.

#4049200 - 12/11/14 05:23 PM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Farcaster Offline
Farcaster  Offline

Toronto, Canada
I have to come back here every couple weeks to change my entries, lol.

Melted my 890 Jump and picked-up a couple more Super Hornets and a Retaliator.

BTW, the Gladiator is now in the Hangar and looks AMAZING!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron. Or else He's the dumbest designer that ever lived."
- Spider Robinson, Mindkiller
#4049450 - 12/12/14 03:32 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: Farcaster]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
You melted the 890???? Dude????

Ok, well, I do need help crewing mine... and I did really want a Retaliator. If it weren't for the crew count needed for the Retaliator I would've added that. Easily my favorite looking ship so far. That Gladiator is pretty sweet looking looking. After seeing it in the hangar, I'm kicking myself for not getting on during the Anniversary sale.

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#4049467 - 12/12/14 05:14 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

I forgot to come back here and mention that I did the financially unwise thing by buying a Carrack WITHOUT melting anything else first, particularly that Rear Admiral pack.

Guess that's four ships for me now.

-RSI Aurora LX
-RSI Constellation Andromeda
-Anvil F7C-M Super Hornet
-Anvil Carrack

I'm expecting the Carrack to get most of my flight time, followed by the Super Hornet. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the Constellation now if I don't find a buyer.

#4049497 - 12/12/14 09:22 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: K6_Scorpion
You melted the 890???? Dude????

Ok, well, I do need help crewing mine... and I did really want a Retaliator. If it weren't for the crew count needed for the Retaliator I would've added that. Easily my favorite looking ship so far. That Gladiator is pretty sweet looking looking. After seeing it in the hangar, I'm kicking myself for not getting on during the Anniversary sale.

There is the ability to man your unmanned positions with NPC, unless I misread the various threads, so, in theory you can fly a multi-crew solo, right?

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
24GB GTX 980M video
#4049498 - 12/12/14 09:24 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: NamelessPFG]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG
I forgot to come back here and mention that I did the financially unwise thing by buying a Carrack WITHOUT melting anything else first, particularly that Rear Admiral pack.

Guess that's four ships for me now.

-RSI Aurora LX
-RSI Constellation Andromeda
-Anvil F7C-M Super Hornet
-Anvil Carrack

I'm expecting the Carrack to get most of my flight time, followed by the Super Hornet. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the Constellation now if I don't find a buyer.

Great collection! have you thought about just melting your Connie rather than selling it to someone? That should easily get you a very nice in store credit, basically whatever you paid for it.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
24GB GTX 980M video
#4049533 - 12/12/14 11:55 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: strykerpsg]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
They have said that you can use NPC to crew the bigger ships (with some exceptions like Javelin), but they're not sure what degree of efficiency they would have performing actions in certain roles. With that and the price tag of the Carrack/Retaliator I wasn't 100% on board with pledging for it then. My thought was that both ships will be available later for pledging whey they are flyable, so by then the NPC crew will be more fleshed out. I've got my 315P for exploring solo and they chimed in about making all ships even MORE modular, so that was even more incentive to wait a little longer to decide if I REALLY need the Carrack:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-...ew-Ship-Systems
"Enhanced Ship Modularity – So you have the ship of your dreams, but really wish that it could be customized to suit your needs a bit more than the off-the-shelf models? This new goal, a massive undertaking, is going to be of interest. We are looking to overhaul any suitable ships (including the Cutlass, Avenger, Retaliator and Redeemer) to allow many modular components to be available as swap-outs. For example: if you have purchased a Redeemer, then using the new system you would have a variety of new modules available to refit the ship, internal and external, to suit your play requirements. If you wanted to make it a Bounty Hunter ship, you could buy a “Stasis Chamber module” for the lower deck and you would be able to capture and store fugitives to be delivered for their bounties at your leisure. You could configure the upper deck to be outfitted with a “long range communication suite” allowing you to keep in touch with your “Infoagent” even when in deep space. Fed up of Bounty hunting? Swap in a larger cargo module in the lower deck to make that profitable run you have been planning for a while, or add the Explorer Module with deployable vehicle for some planetside recon. Manufacturers will still be offering pre-configured variants, but should you be looking to adapt a hull to suit a certain task then your ship has come in (and is now ready for modification!)"

There are still some more ships and variants that are on the horizon, so I'm content with just waiting to see what comes up. I do like the idea of the Orion though, but I'm not sure how fun it will be to play that role. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that 'mining' role since CIG wanted to refrain from the game 'grinding' for players.

------------
#4049535 - 12/12/14 12:02 PM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Congratulations NamelessPFG. You may want to hang on to the Connie for a while. As was mentioned by StrykerPSG, you could melt it and have the credits in reserve, but if you hang on to it until after launch, selling it 'in universe' may yield more credits. It's been mentioned that ships are at a discounted price pre launch and will be more expensive to purchase (with UEC) in game. That's quite a while into the future too, so who knows what will happen before then since everything is a WIP at this point.

Another thing to consider is that that Carrack is larger than the Connie and may be limited to which jump points can be used. The smaller the ship, the more jump points will be available to it. Again, who knows where it'll end up, but that's what has been communicated up to now.

------------
#4049598 - 12/12/14 03:17 PM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
It's been mentioned that ships are at a discounted price pre launch and will be more expensive to purchase (with UEC) in game.

Great point! I hadn't seen or thought of that issue. I guess unless you were credit starved for the next big release, then hanging onto it could yield much higher rewards. I like the idea.

Another thing to consider is that that Carrack is larger than the Connie and may be limited to which jump points can be used. The smaller the ship, the more jump points will be available to it. Again, who knows where it'll end up, but that's what has been communicated up to now.

Another great point I hadn't considered when I melted my Connie in favor of my Redeemer, though I guess the Redeemer is smaller than the Carrick, so I could convert it to a nicely armed explorer craft, based on the modularity theme being pushed.

Thanks for bringing all of that up K6_Scorpion. I'm just grateful there is a melting capability with no loss of credit. Makes rolling the dice easier on the wallet in the end.

Matt

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
24GB GTX 980M video
#4049780 - 12/12/14 10:39 PM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: strykerpsg]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Originally Posted By: strykerpsg
I'm just grateful there is a melting capability with no loss of credit. Makes rolling the dice easier on the wallet in the end.

Matt

I'm right there with you. Makes it convenient to take a look at the variants in the hangar without actually have to commit to anything additional.

------------
#4062754 - 01/12/15 04:32 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
HellfireRWS Offline
HellfireRWS  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Avenger and 315P (HellfireRWS)

#4063165 - 01/12/15 11:57 PM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: HellfireRWS]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Nice choice... welcome!

------------
#4063174 - 01/13/15 12:33 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Originally Posted By: strykerpsg
Great collection! have you thought about just melting your Connie rather than selling it to someone? That should easily get you a very nice in store credit, basically whatever you paid for it.

The wise thing would have been to melt the Rear Admiral package first, THEN buy the Carrack with only $75 out of pocket. $50 if I melted the Aurora LX too.

The only reason I couldn't bring myself to do that is that the Rear Admiral package = LTI, and I know how people are about LTI already. I didn't want to shrink the pool of LTI ships down even more.

Same deal with the Aurora LX, actually. I was gonna convert it to a Mustang, but the only cross-chassis upgrades are for the Aurora MR.

Also note that melting after the fact just leaves me with store credit. What I need now is cash in my bank account, not CIG store credit.

Congratulations NamelessPFG. You may want to hang on to the Connie for a while. As was mentioned by StrykerPSG, you could melt it and have the credits in reserve, but if you hang on to it until after launch, selling it 'in universe' may yield more credits. It's been mentioned that ships are at a discounted price pre launch and will be more expensive to purchase (with UEC) in game. That's quite a while into the future too, so who knows what will happen before then since everything is a WIP at this point.

That's the other possibility that struck my mind: the Constellation could go way up in value if the persistent universe turns out to be successful as we're hoping for in a few years, especially considering it has LTI.

As for jump point accessibility, would refitting that Aurora for exploration duty be feasible at all? That's about as small as ships get while still packing a jump drive.

#4063253 - 01/13/15 04:26 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
NamelessPFG,
There's plenty of stuff that you can do with the Aurora LX:
  • Aurora is already slated to have a jump engine on it, so it'll be jump capable.
  • Cross chassis upgrade to a Mustang Beta (Aurora LX to LN upgrade/$5, then Aurora LN to Mustang Beta upgrade/$5)
  • Cross chassis upgrade to a 315P (AURORA LX TO 300I UPGRADE/$25, then Aurora 315P upgrade/$10)
  • CCU to the Herald once it's flyable..that'll give you a different job option
  • CCU to the Gladiator once it's flyable, which can be fitted for exploration/salvage work

Last edited by K6_Scorpion; 01/13/15 04:34 AM.

------------
#4063740 - 01/14/15 02:32 PM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Discord Offline
Discord  Offline

Niagara Falls Ontario
I am waiting for a CCU option for my Avenger to a Freelancer MIS. At least with the Freelancer using a keyboard and mouse will seem more appropriate then for an Avenger.

One day the West will fall. But if the Liberty for which we fight is taken up by the world then the West will not have failed.
#4066863 - 01/21/15 12:39 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
HellfireRWS Offline
HellfireRWS  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
I melted my Avenger and 315P for a 325A... I'm much happier. Now if they would fix coop I would be set for a while.

#4082513 - 02/23/15 11:57 AM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Melted my Mustang Omega to ease the pain.... err, cost of the Orion. I almost melted my 350R but think that one's a keeper. I now have all LTI or 24 month anniversary insurance on all.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
24GB GTX 980M video
#4082583 - 02/23/15 02:57 PM Re: SimHQ Star Citizen ship role call [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The Orion does look cool. They may have gone overboard on the mining mechanics though but time will tell. smile

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.