Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4046927 - 12/07/14 07:05 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
TroyMcClure Offline
TroyMcClure  Offline

Singapore
Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP
Hrm... a quick counterclockwise twist was all that was needed to loosen mine. I'm surprised you're having any issue at all, hot/humid environment included.

The nut is fairly large diameter, the threads aren't that fine of a pitch, and the nut edge is heavily knurled (has ridges) so you should be able to get a lot of torque on it to free it up without damaging anything, as long as you're turning it the right ...er, left way.

Your post made me chuckle quite a bit.
Believe me it's stuck proper and it'll take a lot more than a quick counterclockwise twist to loosen it. I know it's a large diameter, it has indeed some grooves on the sides (which gave me a nice, large blister on the inside of my thumb), but it won't budge.

Thanks for the warning Paradaz! I hope I don't damage it in the process... I've tried some more but it's still stuck.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4047054 - 12/07/14 02:27 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
This is the thread I created after I had my problems.....

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3707826/Re:_Wiring_diagrams_for_TM_War#Post3707826

Not going to be much use to you I'm afraid as it was really about repairing the stick after it broke trying to undo it with exactly the same problem you have. I actually ended up buying a 2nd hand Warthog stick from Canada (that was missing the circuit boards), shipping it to the UK and using the spare parts to fix my broken stick....all this was cheaper than paying TM for a complete new base.

To make it clear, my stick broke attempting to loosen the big nut that secures it to the base as you mentioned in your last post. I tried everything but it just wouldn't budge. In the end, I went a bit too far and in one of the attempts to loosen it with blistered hands the mechanism that holds the mini-DIN connector turned 90 degrees and that's when all the internals twisted and snapped the wires inside....so whatever you do, try not to allow the base to twist even a small amount.

The image below identifies the ball mechanism section that will turn under stress when you're trying to loosen the big nut....the wires that link the mini-DIN connector to the circuit board haven't got any slack so even this moving 90 degrees will either snap or pull the wires out from one of the ends.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4047398 - 12/08/14 10:28 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
TroyMcClure Offline
TroyMcClure  Offline

Singapore
Thanks for the additional info.
Yes, I noticed the base was moving when trying to twist the ring free and I figured there'b be trouble there if I allowed it to move more than a couple of millimetres...

#4047573 - 12/08/14 04:57 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Wow, good warning, Paradaz, thanks for the heads up!

Sorry, Troy, I'm out of ideas. Without being able to remove the stick from the base, I don't know how you'd execute this spring mod.

How old is the stick? Any chance you can send it back for repair?

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#4048043 - 12/09/14 02:09 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
TroyMcClure Offline
TroyMcClure  Offline

Singapore
I can't really send it for repair, it's one of the early ones so it's well out of warranty. Plus I moved half way around the planet since I bought it and it'd be a pain to ship it, not mentioning the cost...

I think I'll try staring at it for a while wink

It's okay though, it's not like it's broken, but I feel I'd be playing more if it were easier on my arm.

#4048047 - 12/09/14 02:16 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I know it may sound stupid- but it worked for me in the past...

You try and put some lubricant oil so it gets as much as possible close or in the grooves of that large ring and then- don't laugh- you try and push against the ring something that produce vibrations as a drill set to medium- or... something else... a friend of mine and his wife had this Hitachi Magic Wand that it's really good against pulled muscles.

High speed vibrations are quite impressively effective against- stuck- stuff.

PS: I already know I'm going to pay socially dearly for this. But who cares- it does work.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4048203 - 12/09/14 07:01 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: komemiute]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: komemiute

PS: I already know I'm going to pay socially dearly for this. But who cares- it does work.

yep

Come on, what vibrating bit of machinery did your 'mate' and his wife really use after they had lubed everything up?

#itwasyouwasntit

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4048354 - 12/09/14 11:51 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

biggrin

Hey, it works.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.