Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4046546 - 12/06/14 11:43 AM Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
...or anyone else who may know.

In the Workshop I have "Regional Air Activity" set to HIGH and "Encounters" set to REALISTIC. I guess I am wondering at the relationship between the two settings.

1) What exactly is meant by REALISTIC in the "Encounter" setting.

2) If I have "Regional Air Activity" set to HIGH wouldn't I naturally have more encounters?

#4046552 - 12/06/14 11:54 AM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Encounters
1) Realistic is what we deem to be er realistic
2) is Higher = more encounters = more fun maybe but not realistic.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4046557 - 12/06/14 12:03 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

For the "DiD Campaign" in late 1916 I used "Reginal air activity: Light" so far (before WOFF 2.02 Expansion).
That seemed about right for that time. In 1918 of course, the air activity was much denser; especially the
Entente had many more aircraft and pilots available now.

But you can still adjust it a bit with setting it to "medium" or even "light", when you find it gets too much.

The "Encounters" setting seems to be more about the behaviour of the meeting flights.
Do they attack; always? Or do they sometimes stay high and dry? Do they change tactics; do they fly home?
Cause, you could also force the manager to make them fight every time (which IMHO wouldn't be "realistic").

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4046558 - 12/06/14 12:03 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Ok thanks Pol for the info.

I have three 2.02 campaign flights under my belt with 48 Squadron in March 1917.
Too soon to tell but it all "feels" fine so far. Just wanted an understanding if I think something needs "tweaking" down the road.

Just to be a pest and to make sure I am totally clear:

If I have REALISTIC in the "Encounter" setting and "Regional Air Activity" set to HIGH I will see more aircraft then if I have REALISTIC in the "Encounter" setting and "Regional Air Activity" set to LOW?

And I promise to to bug you anymore. Least for 24 hours...

#4046560 - 12/06/14 12:09 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Olham

The "Encounters" setting seems to be more about the behaviour of the meeting flights.
Do they attack; always? Or do they sometimes stay high and dry? Do they change tactics; do they fly home?
Cause, you could also force the manager to make them fight every time (which IMHO wouldn't be "realistic").

Well that is interesting if true. Then I have to wonder about the relationship between "Encounters" and "AI Always Engages"

We did fly by a group of DFW's,, and I thought for sure the AI flight leader would attack but he did not. In "his" defense they were probably at least a 1,000' higher than us so an engagement may have not been practical in "his" mind. I am not always so smart when I lead perhaps!

#4046713 - 12/06/14 07:00 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Just play with the settings guys there are a zillion variables at play date region squad etc. BUT only do this if you feel it's not right for you?

Why even consider change if it is feels OK? Just leave it and if it later "feels" bad change it. Simple.

The is no relationship between "AI always engages" and encounters settings.

If in doubt please leave it on default, that's what we believe it should be for the best experience.

The more we explain about all the ins and outs there more spoiled the experience will become.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4046714 - 12/06/14 07:12 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Thanks Pol for the additional clarification.
I am gonna keep Regional Activity on HIGH and Encounters on REALISTIC then.

If things seem a little quiet I will bump up the Encounter rate to HIGH.

I have to be careful when it's all peaceful. With the beautiful view and great sound I sometimes find myself a little drowsy at times!

And you are very correct that knowing too much ruins the magic. I just like to be sure I have the most realistic AND enjoyable experience going hence my PITA questions.

#4046734 - 12/06/14 08:11 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
I'd like to keep this simple ... which 'regional air activity' setting best recreates a historical amount of traffic/flights (low, medium, or high?).

Basically, in the area of my mission I'd like roughly the same number of planes to be in the air as would have been flying in real life. Which setting will get me closest to that goal?

#4046747 - 12/06/14 08:43 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I'm just guessing here but taking all things into account, as I understand them anyway, I would think that High would be the most realistic as a "Regional Air Setting" with the emphasis on the "Regional."

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 12/06/14 08:44 PM.
#4047263 - 12/07/14 11:46 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
This is a real vague generalization, but if you are getting 1 kill for every 3 or 4 sorites you fly you are pretty close to the types of numbers the really hot aces like MVR posted over their WWI career. I think MVR had about 400 sorties for his 80 kills, and Rene Fonck about 350 sorties to get 75 kills (I'm sure someone else could provide the actual numbers, but that is what memory serves me).

So they were doing a whole lot of flying around on "no contact" missions and/or engagements without resolve in reality. Also, regarding marksmanship, I read where MVR said it took approximately 800 of his 1000 rounds for a typical victory since the planes were mostly empty space and unless you hit an engine or a pilot they would often fly off with just a bunch of holes in their plane or a few broken parts but still airworthy.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4047267 - 12/07/14 11:56 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
You think MvR did 400 combat sorties as a single seat Flieger?
I really have no clue but am curious now.
I guess when you read the books they don't mention, or talk a lot about, "boring" no-contact combat sorties.

JFM? Any info on this?

EDIT: And as a part 2 MvR seemed more that willing to continue shooting into, generally speaking, fairly obvious planes that were going down to get a more "decisive" result. Presumably for confirmation purposes apparently. I think that helps explain his high ammo useage.

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 12/08/14 12:05 AM.
#4048342 - 12/09/14 11:24 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: 77_Scout]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: 77_Scout
I'd like to keep this simple ... which 'regional air activity' setting best recreates a historical amount of traffic/flights (low, medium, or high?).

Basically, in the area of my mission I'd like roughly the same number of planes to be in the air as would have been flying in real life. Which setting will get me closest to that goal?

I can't discern it directly from WM's new post in the 'sticky' section, but reading between the lines I get the impression the answer to my question is 'high'?? I get the impression 'low' and 'medium' settings are provided for use with lower powered computers (??), but I could easily be misinterpreting what was said.

#4048355 - 12/09/14 11:54 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
That was my guess and WM (I hate putting words in his mouth) seems to confirm it.

"High" puts ALL (or most) available squadrons into play therefore it would seem the most "realistic" to me.
Or that's how I read and extrapolate the available information.

No squadron was grounded during the war because their HQ lacked CPU power!

#4048979 - 12/11/14 04:39 AM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
I found some Sorties/Victory data on some of the leading aces. I try to keep my sortie to victory ratio around 3 or 4 to 1 to try to keep things more realistic. But as you can see below it varied quite a bit from ace to ace:

Sorties/Victories

232-80 Manfred von Richthofen

609-75 Rene Fonck

311-72 Billy Bishop

145-44 Albert Ball

305-26 Eddie Rickenbacker

These guys spent a lot of time just flying around seeing nothing or dots they couldn't catch in real life. So I fiddle with the settings: If I don't have a fight for 3 or 4 sorties I amp it up. If I start getting fights every sortie I reduce the settings as it will vary on the region you are flying in and the time period.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4048990 - 12/11/14 06:10 AM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
rockmedic109 Offline
rockmedic109  Offline

California
In my latest campaign endeavor, I have created a Time Advance Chart.

I advance the game 1 day after a mission in 1918, two days in 1917, 3 days in 1916 and a week in 1915. Add a day for Alsace Region {two if 1917 or earlier}.

During the times of Bloody April and the Spring Offensive there is no time advance and there are no leaves or transfers.

5 days for promotion to Officer.

7 days for the premier medal {VC, PlM, LdH, MoH}.

5 Kills 2 days
10 Kills 3 days
20 Kills 10 days
40 Kills 20 days
60 Kills 30 days
80 Kills 30 days

The advance for Kills is from another forum member that I cannot remember the name of.

#4049016 - 12/11/14 09:28 AM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: KodiakJac]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
I found some Sorties/Victory data on some of the leading aces. I try to keep my sortie to victory ratio around 3 or 4 to 1 to try to keep things more realistic. But as you can see below it varied quite a bit from ace to ace:

Sorties/Victories

232-80 Manfred von Richthofen

609-75 Rene Fonck

311-72 Billy Bishop

145-44 Albert Ball

305-26 Eddie Rickenbacker

These guys spent a lot of time just flying around seeing nothing or dots they couldn't catch in real life. So I fiddle with the settings: If I don't have a fight for 3 or 4 sorties I amp it up. If I start getting fights every sortie I reduce the settings as it will vary on the region you are flying in and the time period.

Nice Bucksnort and thanks for the numbers. Very interesting.
If I may ask where did they come from?
Also interesting to me is Rickenbacker's relatively high sortie rate. I read his book and he mentions some no contact flights but he was also away from the front, twice I believe, for ear problems. Obviously a "busy beaver" when he was with the 94th.

#4049021 - 12/11/14 10:06 AM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Honestly I don't believe the numbers are correct. I don't think that anyone who served longer periods to have less than 600 hours flight, which is IMO the better indicator anyway, than sorties.
Rickenbacker in his couple weeks/months of combat having more sorties than MvrR? I doubt it. I think the numbers of Fonck rather reflect correct numbers. And of the 95% non-aces the victory/sorties rate is way lower of course anyway. E.G. Udet needed about 16 flighthours for each victory in average. Anyway, are you sure those numbers are the overall number of sorties, or maybe rather sorties with enemy contact, or where enemies were spotted?

If you set airactivity to medium or low, and also enemy engaging rate to realistic, then you won't need to skip days on purpose. You just fly your missions as they come and try to survive, not attacking everything you see, only attacking when the leader wants you to attack, and if you are the leader, not playing Frank Luke Gunho style. Of course without aids. If you survive long enough, your ratio will be about the one you are looking for.

Last edited by Creaghorn; 12/11/14 10:07 AM.
#4049026 - 12/11/14 10:18 AM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
We have been round and round this discussion so many times - we have had it both harder and easier than it is at the moment and still we had moaners.

We have added a myriad of settings to help each user get to his nirvana and as Creaghorn says - its quite possible with the current setup.

However what we cannot do is instill the reality of WAR into the player, that would make every man try to preserve what is most precious to him - his life and to return to ones loved ones intact.
We cannot create the fatigue, the cold, the weariness that sets in when flying these primitive machines out to what was for many certain death....if not from the enemy then from failure of ones own machine or even pilot error.

In the end its but a game and the player can be as reckless as he wants.

So you can all analyse and compare stats and outcomes from WOFF with history... to death - what is missing is the high probability of YOUR DEATH and how you would behave if you really did fly in WW1....

And that you can only do yourselves and even then only to a limited degree because you all know you will not really die.

We did discuss having the option in workshops that if you die in WOFF your PC is reformatted....

WM

OBD Software
#4049061 - 12/11/14 12:00 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: Winding Man]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Winding Man
So you can all analyse and compare stats and outcomes from WOFF with history... to death -
what is missing is the high probability of YOUR DEATH and how you would behave if you really did fly in WW1....

And that you can only do yourselves and even then only to a limited degree because you all know you will not really die.

We did discuss having the option in workshops that if you die in WOFF your PC is reformatted....

Good one!
Yeah, it's the hardest bit to imagine: how we would act, if we could really get hit,
if we would half freeze to stone, if we suffered from a lack of oxygene,
get a bullet through our hand, tigh, or face...

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4049069 - 12/11/14 12:34 PM Re: Workshop Settings: Question for the Dev's [Re: Winding Man]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Winding Man
We have been round and round this discussion so many times - we have had it both harder and easier than it is at the moment and still we had moaners.

We have added a myriad of settings to help each user get to his nirvana and as Creaghorn says - its quite possible with the current setup.

However what we cannot do is instill the reality of WAR into the player, that would make every man try to preserve what is most precious to him - his life and to return to ones loved ones intact.
We cannot create the fatigue, the cold, the weariness that sets in when flying these primitive machines out to what was for many certain death....if not from the enemy then from failure of ones own machine or even pilot error.

In the end its but a game and the player can be as reckless as he wants.

So you can all analyse and compare stats and outcomes from WOFF with history... to death - what is missing is the high probability of YOUR DEATH and how you would behave if you really did fly in WW1....

WM

Don't change a thing WM!
WOFF is awsum as is sir.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again