Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3809625 - 07/15/13 05:01 AM Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
I'm not a big fan of mods, either on software or hardware, but the tension from the stock spring in my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS was killing my forearm and wrist in UH-1H - to the point that I needed to rest my arm after just a half hour of flying or so. I'd heard about the spring mod on these forums and, in a fit of spontaneity, just decided to do it. I found the video below to be a great guide with one minor exception: you don't need to take the baseplate off. I don't like messing with hardware I don't need to mess with so I left the plate on and had zero problems with the mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBMBR8M0z2E

There's no real skill involved (can you operate a Phillips-head screwdriver?) and no real danger to the unit except for cross threading a screw or stripping the screw head (which means you really can't operate a Phillips-head screwdriver). The big spring you remove is sticky so be sure to have a towel or napkin ready to pick it up.

The results are immediate and amazing! I've removed all curvature from my pitch and yaw axes and am able to fly multiple pattern approaches without having to rest my arm.

[edit: having issues with a stuck jam nut? Don't force it, you could damage your stick. Thanks to Paradaz for the heads up]

Last edited by EinsteinEP; 12/08/14 04:58 PM.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3809767 - 07/15/13 03:14 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
No need to mods. I will gladly trade you my X52 Pro for the Warthog, and you can fly for hours on end without any pain or suffering. winkngrin

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#3809846 - 07/15/13 05:31 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: 2GvSAP_Mohawk]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: 2GvSAP_Mohawk
I will gladly trade you my X52 Pro for the Warthog, and you can fly for hours on end without any pain or suffering.

Great! Let me pack up my Warthog HOTAS and then I'll...hey, wait a minute...! wink

I still prefer the X52 Pro for the Black Shark - nothing to do with the spring tension, though. I've got the autopilot buttons mapped to the toggles under the control stick and I haven't found a way to do the same thing on the Warthog - at least, not the way I like. Wish I knew how to make my own secondary controller...

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3809867 - 07/15/13 06:07 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
I did this mod after giving the Warthog a good testing with most of my sims.

I only just started using it again with the main spring out and I've got to say I'm not completely convinced yet. I made the springs quite well compressed (put 4 thick washers on each one) but it still seems too floppy.

So what do I want - floppy joppy or Warty elbow?

Really can't decide.

"The way you keep forgeting things, you'd think you'd remember"
- my wife
#3809870 - 07/15/13 06:19 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
I like the term "Warty Elbow". It is like having a tennis elbow without having played tennis.

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#3809918 - 07/15/13 08:20 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

My spring is sawed-off 1.5 turns, i think. If you remove the spring altogether, you lose the centering resistance, so it's better to leave some.

#3826137 - 08/23/13 10:41 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
I like the spring tension, but will be getting a stick extension as soon as I save up the dollars, or find the time to do it myself, from all reports this works well for the smaller moves needed for a cyclic.

The problem taking the spring out will be the extra stress on the shaft, I bought this stick after breaking the neck on the CH Fighter stick I had for years so don't want a repeat, very stressful when you see an old favourite bite the dust.

But damn it I love the warthog cool metal and lights and switches just cant be beaten.

III/JG11_Tiger
#3826728 - 08/24/13 05:26 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
I've just put my spring back in.

Warty Elbow it is! yep

- my wife
#3827626 - 08/26/13 08:49 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
...and just for an update - I've been flying some very long missions in the Su-25 (no autopilot) and completely forgot the main spring was back in!

Felt very good, though. Nice, measured control of the axes in flight and safe landings.

Now I've tried it both ways - without that mainspring I think there isn't enough resistance. I had 4 thick washers under each of the springs when I had the mainspring removed and sometimes couldn't tell if it was centred or not without wobbling it around.

- my wife
#3827759 - 08/27/13 03:41 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Personal taste, I guess, Flash. I didn't mind the main stick for the fixed wings (A-10C, etc.), but trying to shoot approaches in the UH-1H is what pushed me over and I'm glad I did. With the four springs moved up to the top my Warthog has plenty of re-centering force - it sure is wobbly by comparison but it's certainly not limp and I don't have any problem with determining whether or not it's centered.

Point of the story: your mileage may vary!

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3828025 - 08/27/13 06:01 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
Ah, whirlybirds. That's where my G940 comes in smile

- my wife
#3877050 - 12/14/13 06:17 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I've been playing around with my Warthog springs for the last couple of hours, mainly due to having the same problems that others have faced with the standard Warthog setup for DCS Huey as it's a bit sticky and sprung too hard to make the small adjustments required over long flights.

I'm fortunate enough to have some spare Warthog parts due to buying a spare base/stick section on ebay a while ago, but anyway I've been trying all sorts of combinations today such as:

- small springs at the top, no large spring, (stick not enough centering power)
- small springs at the bottom (as per vanilla setup)
- 2 sets of small springs at the bottom
- 2 sets of small springs at the top
- small springs above and below the spring platform
- pre-tensioned large spring (gentle tension - reduces height by approx 1/4)
- pre-tensioned large spring (moderate tension - reduces height by approx 1/2)

To cut a long story short I have settled on the pre-tensioned large spring with moderate tension as others have mentioned in this very thread. The key is obviously to get an even tension all the way around the spring and to have a flat surface at the top and bottom. I have also threaded a small wire between the tensioners because the wire that compresses the spring want to move around under load....each tensioner is being gently pulled from the left and the right to keep it in position.

moderate tension - reduces height by approx 1/2...this is what I think gives the best feedback

gentle tension - reduces height by approx 1/4...(still too strong in the centre)

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3877724 - 12/16/13 01:30 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Paradaz,

What's your source for the pre-tensioned springs? In your pics, it looks like the Warthog springs with some "tension adjusters" on them. Home made?

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3879023 - 12/17/13 11:32 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP
Paradaz,

What's your source for the pre-tensioned springs? In your pics, it looks like the Warthog springs with some "tension adjusters" on them. Home made?

It's nothing flash Einstein....these are just the original Warthog springs (I was lucky enough to find a knackered Warthog base/stick off ebay which I pulled apart to fix my broken unit hence the two springs) and the tension is simply done with very thin metal wire that missus uses to make necklaces etc.

I created 4 x equal length ties with the metal wire, routed it around all the coils and tightened it to create the tension before tying each one in a knot to secure. I noticed that the 'tensioners' want to slide around with constant stick movements so linked each tensioner to the other tensioners immediately left and right to keep them in place.

When I say I'm using the pre-tensioned spring, I'm really just stating that the spring is already partly compressed by the metal wire before dropping it back into the base.

#3891368 - 01/07/14 11:06 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
SteveZodiac Offline
SteveZodiac  Offline

Maine coast
The best mod for the warthog is to just double up the 4 small bottom springs. These (bottom springs) work against the tension of the large coil spring. So find 4 small springs the same as the originals and double up or 4 slightly higher tension replacement springs for the bottom 4 and it's just about perfect and you don't lose the full deflection that you do puting the bottoms on the top and no coil. While I was in there I greased the ball with molicote 30L and mine is butter smooth and just thr right tension.

Corsair 600t- Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo, i7 3770k@4.5ghz
Scythe Ninja3, 16gb Hyper X, eVgaGTX 670FTW, HyperX SSD Win7Ult64-Sidewinder FF2-CH pedals/throttle
#4044832 - 12/03/14 12:56 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
TroyMcClure Offline
TroyMcClure  Offline

Singapore
I have a silly issue.

I'm trying to do this mod because DCS Huey is killing my arm, and I feel I'm not as precise as I could be.

Problem is, the screw to remove the handle is stuck. Like proper stuck. I happen to have moved 2 years ago to a hot and humid country, and it looks like the ring that screws to hold the stick in place has somehow reacted to that in a bad way. I can see it's kind of "bubbly" on top...

I've tried:
- Using all my strength, that maybe does not amount to that much but I normally have a good grip. Yes, I have checked that I am twisting in the correct direction.
- Hammering the screw ring all around, and try again, no luck
- Heating it up with a hair dryer on the warmest setting to dilate it but I guess the thing is just too thick to react to that, so no luck either
- Penetrating oil, no luck
- Multi-grip pliers (with some cloth to avoid damaging the ring), no luck

The only thing I got is a massive blister on my right hand, I guess that'll keep me off tennis for a couple of weeks.
The last thing I have in mind to try is some sort of strap/belt wrench because that'd have a lot of torque, but I can't seem to be able to find one in my neighbourhood.

I'm running out of options here, any idea how I could solve this?

Last edited by TroyMcClure; 12/03/14 12:59 PM.
#4044973 - 12/03/14 06:14 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
PM me or post a pic of what part you're talking about - I'm having trouble picturing which screw you're talking about. There should be a big ring that spins off to remove the stick from the the base.

In hindsight I wish I would have taken pics of my disassembly so I could share. Maybe there's some out there? (too lazy to google ATM)

[edit: unlazied, here's a link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/douglashelmer/ ]

Last edited by EinsteinEP; 12/03/14 06:18 PM.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#4045193 - 12/04/14 03:48 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
TroyMcClure Offline
TroyMcClure  Offline

Singapore
I see how this might not have been entirely clear (not my first language).

That large ring at the base of the stick is what I'm talking about, this is entirely stuck.

#4046470 - 12/06/14 05:30 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Hrm... a quick counterclockwise twist was all that was needed to loosen mine. I'm surprised you're having any issue at all, hot/humid environment included.

The nut is fairly large diameter, the threads aren't that fine of a pitch, and the nut edge is heavily knurled (has ridges) so you should be able to get a lot of torque on it to free it up without damaging anything, as long as you're turning it the right ...er, left way.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#4046534 - 12/06/14 10:50 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Spring mod [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I had exactly the same problem about 18 months ago......be very careful because when I eventually loosened mine off it twisted the innards of the stick and all the wires snapped inside. TM don't supply separate components and quoted me £150 for a complete replacement of the base section. I had to source a replacement mini-DIN connector and re solder all the wires. The earth connector is a pain in the backside because the mini-DIN sheath has a little channelcut into it hat yore unlikely to get in a replacement part.

I put a post in here about at the time. I'll try and find it and put in a hyperlink.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.