Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4045635 - 12/04/14 10:07 PM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
other than being banned for 30 days for being banned I don't know what justified my original ban.

#4045640 - 12/04/14 10:10 PM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Simbo_Sim123]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Simbo 123 SQDN
Bloody hell Kevin - unbelievable mate.If you guys don`t know Revvin runs the CH Forum for all things CH HOTAS.

Paul

The same moderator who banned me was active in another thread the day before when another 'ardent fan' of BoS dropped the f-bomb in a thread. No action taken against him, no public rebuke like I got, no ban he carried on posting. A couple of days later and the same moderator is quite content to allow one member call another a moron and and idiot and again no action is taken but me using the word "silly" is "aggressive". Extreme_One got his ban for countering the points made by a moderator yet someone who posts a video of a defecating elf is still allowed to post. I guess I didn't support BoS enough posting news updates on the game on my own site and social media to not be seen as a 'hater'.

Last edited by Revvin; 12/04/14 10:11 PM.
#4045648 - 12/04/14 10:28 PM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
I just think it's sad really, so avoidable.

With the foundation they have in place, technologically speaking, they should be in a wonderful position with people like us supporting them and praising them and bringing in new players.

I reckon I could tell them in twenty five words how to turn this game into a gold mine.

#4045651 - 12/04/14 10:35 PM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Extreme_One]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
I just think it's sad really, so avoidable.

With the foundation they have in place, technologically speaking, they should be in a wonderful position with people like us supporting them and praising them and bringing in new players.

I reckon I could tell them in twenty five words how to turn this game into a gold mine.

It is very sad, so many parallels to MS Flight it is scary...

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4045683 - 12/04/14 11:31 PM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
There is a way....but it's dangerous.....

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we banned of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.

Last edited by JagdNeun; 12/04/14 11:43 PM.
#4045758 - 12/05/14 03:34 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
Logan Offline
Head Tater peeler
Logan  Offline
Head Tater peeler

Or...
biggrin

Logan,
Head Tater peeler,OIC of nothing
#4045783 - 12/05/14 05:14 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Revvin... you were banned in August... bongo.. you initially got 7 days from me .. but how many PMs did I send to you asking you to be mindful over the past two years, almost from day one. Simon... I can't say any more than I have about that...

It is a very wobbly tightrope that we as moderators walk.. It is a very hard task trying to navigate these things when you have a very vocal, very strong willed base of grown men to deal with.. and a product that has far more issues than it should coupled with the fact that we are still human and sometimes we just get stuff wrong..

I have always tried to err on the side of fairness.. and everyone in this thread who was ever banned or had dealings with me as a moderator on any forum that I have moderated on can attest to that. Usually there will be multiple PMs before any such action is taken by me. I cannot account for what others may do... but my primary goal is to just keep the angst to a minimum.. and I do my best to get cooperation from forum members. When I don't get that ...

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4045802 - 12/05/14 07:00 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Yes sometimes it can be difficult to moderate, I've been a moderator on BBS's and Internet forums and have run my own site for over 10 years but explain to me how the same moderator was fine allowing someone to drop the f-bomb in a thread and not take any action yet deem my use of the word "silly" as being "aggressive"? Even though he was actively posting in each thread? That's not difficult moderating that's blinding obvious choices. In the other thread I mentioned he took no action against someone calling other members moron's and idiots's. In fact another moderator suggested he use proper punctuation in the word moron's and it was only edited after I pointed it out to Jason in my private message exchange. You banned Extreme_One yet the member who posts a video in the same thread of a defecating elf is still posting. That's not a tightrope that's a pretty obvious choice.

I have told you before I found you to be one of the better moderators on the old IL-2 forum, since then on. The official BoS forums you've gone on a banning spree and told customers to GO AWAY and to SUCK IT UP AND GET OVER IT OR BE GONE.

#4045805 - 12/05/14 07:41 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
It's the inconsistency of the moderating that irks the most.

Yes, if I had sworn at another member or threatened someone or whatever then I'd have deserved a ban, but discussing complaints is apparently "OK as long as it's kept civil" and there's never been any mention of it being "OK to complain a few times but you must stop posting after X number of complaints"

#4045814 - 12/05/14 07:58 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Not aimed at anyone, but arguing with moderators will always get you a temporary posting restriction regardless of site, especially if you have been warned, notwithstanding what your post count is.

Nothing new there

Cheers Dakpilot

#4045821 - 12/05/14 08:13 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Bearcat99]  
Jaws2002 Offline
Jaws2002  Offline

Ontario, Canada.
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
Revvin... you were banned in August... bongo.. you initially got 7 days from me .. but how many PMs did I send to you asking you to be mindful over the past two years, almost from day one. Simon... I can't say any more than I have about that...

It is a very wobbly tightrope that we as moderators walk.. It is a very hard task trying to navigate these things when you have a very vocal, very strong willed base of grown men to deal with.. and a product that has far more issues than it should coupled with the fact that we are still human and sometimes we just get stuff wrong..

I have always tried to err on the side of fairness.. and everyone in this thread who was ever banned or had dealings with me as a moderator on any forum that I have moderated on can attest to that. Usually there will be multiple PMs before any such action is taken by me. I cannot account for what others may do... but my primary goal is to just keep the angst to a minimum.. and I do my best to get cooperation from forum members. When I don't get that ...

Let me tell you something. I already got banned a few times on that forum. Once even by FlatSpinMan. smile but guess what. I never lost a gram of respect for the guy. (I knew what I said was against the rules saying bad things about the developers) but said it anyway. So I can't blame him for the ban. Because he was always trying to be NEUTRAL.
That is something you personally are not.
You want this game to be your next Il2 so bad that you are throwing your self respect in the toilet trying to cover for the team. That's what you did there the other day, you did their dirty business, instead of being a neutral judge.
This people you banned did nothing wrong. You just called out anyone to dare say a word so you can ban them, like a neighbourhood bully.
Jason later washed his hands of your actions and you were used like in a "good cop bad cop" bad action movie.
He likes to come there and look like the good guy the next day, like with the unlocks poll, but if you look at this from outside it looks like calculated tactic to push away anyone who dares to say bad things about the game.
When you go to such a low level, to ban someone like Extreme_One, in order to make that place look like a happy house, you are not a moderator anymore, but a storm trooper doing the dirty business.

Last edited by Jaws2002; 12/05/14 08:20 AM.
#4045830 - 12/05/14 08:34 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Jaws2002]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Lord Acton's old saying comes to mind: "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

#4045857 - 12/05/14 10:08 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: SkyHigh]  
xXNightEagleXx Offline
xXNightEagleXx  Offline

Originally Posted By: SkyHigh
Lord Acton's old saying comes to mind: "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Problem is I don't see this absolute power, last products they developed are just falling in all levels (ClOD, ROF, BOS...ClOD previous TF). Surely last moves might push them toward a deeper situation (those core players who used to buy whatever they do will think trice before buy anything from them and some might never buy anymore) and the ironic part is that they caused this with their bare hands.

OHHHH the irony

By the way at this point they have to aim to casual games because the core pool is by definition a small pool and if lose some it gets even smaller.

#4045860 - 12/05/14 10:19 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Who would actually want to be a moderator on any flight forum, certainly not me, would give me more grey hair and probably some sleepless nights, no thanks.

Mick. smile

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#4045869 - 12/05/14 10:49 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Dakpilot]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: Dakpilot
Not aimed at anyone, but arguing with moderators will always get you a temporary posting restriction regardless of site, especially if you have been warned, notwithstanding what your post count is.

Nothing new there

Cheers Dakpilot

So why was I banned? I didn't even argue with the moderator, I simply replied to another user with no profanity or insult or any form or rule breaking......I simply posted, Bearcats 'warning' didn't mention anything about simply posting.

#4045876 - 12/05/14 11:04 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Bearcat99]  
WernerVoss Offline
WernerVoss  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bearcat99

I'm going to say this without any disrespect because the point I'll make is obvious; you ban people for using profanity and directly abusing and/or threatening other human beings. And that's it. Period. A ban for any other reason is despicable.

I was banned for posting an expose on another forum after I'd already been suspended from the BoS forums. Justify THAT one.

Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ
#4045877 - 12/05/14 11:09 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Weid how arguing with a moderator should be a bannable offence anyway.

Contradiction is part of what happens during normal conversation.

If someone were to tell me the sky was purple I would naturally disagree with them.
If the person posting about the purple sky was a moderator would I be risking a ban if I posted my disagreement?

This is the post that got me banned:

Quote:
Did you not notice the consternation last year, the moment the unlocks were announced?

Have you forgotten the poll that was created in July 2013?

How about when the graphics presets were dropped on us?

People really haven't been sat "at the table for three hours nibbling on the meal" before making their feelings known.

Unfortunately nobody listened and here we are!

And the devs are somehow surprised that the Metacritic scores are so low.

Unfortunately, the complaints won't stop, because people are unhappy, and I guess banning people and silencing them won't make them any less unhappy or any less likely to complain or criticise.

Sure I disagreed with the moderator's post, and I still do, but I still don't see the bannable offence there, or in any of my previous posts.

However, the moderator that banned me did say this:

Quote:
Of course I have. I am not blind. I have complained mysaelf...

The issues are well know and most of the complaints have been posted ad nauseum"

So maybe I was banned because I complained again, about something that had been complained about before. (I didn't know that was a bannable offence)

The thing that really made me laugh this morning, which truly demonstrates the hypocrisy here, was that the moderator that banned me has since posted his own complaint, about being forced to fly the campaign to unlock stuff.

This is yet another complaint, about the same topic, by the same person.

So I reported it!

Presumably the moderator will have to ban himself now. wink

#4045880 - 12/05/14 11:13 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

"A ban for any other reason is despicable"

No, you abide by the rules set by the owners of the forum, if you don't like rules choose a forum that has none

Anything else is stupidity

Cheers Dakpilot

Last edited by Dakpilot; 12/05/14 11:16 AM.
#4045885 - 12/05/14 11:20 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Ami7b5]  
WernerVoss Offline
WernerVoss  Offline

I've been accused of being a "nutter", amongst other insults, after going on my anti-PR 'rampage' some months ago. To now see some of the most 'respectable' and level-headed and even-handed members of the BoS forums being treated like this really is a point of vindication. But then I'm also very shallow. Apparently.

"The power of accurate observation..." etc. Am I rubbing anyone's noses in it? Possibly and probably. But maybe you'll learn something from it, finally. Maybe for once the mob has learned the first guy to pick up a pitchfork isn't always barking mad.

Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ
#4045886 - 12/05/14 11:21 AM Re: Banning fest on BoS forum [Re: Dakpilot]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Originally Posted By: Dakpilot
"A ban for any other reason is despicable"

No, you abide by the rules set by the owners of the forum, if you don't like rules choose a forum that has none

Anything else is stupidity

Cheers Dakpilot

Neither "arguing with moderators" or "posting more than X number of complaints" are listed in the rules.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.