Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3977963 - 07/08/14 11:19 AM Re: Is P3D basically the successor to MS Flight Simulator? [Re: Plainsman]  
-Peregrine- Offline
-Peregrine-  Offline

Johnson City, TN
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
My question, to follow the thread starter, is this: Does P3D/P3D2 have all the thousands of airports and cities and countries as FSX? Does it have the entire world that FSX contains but with slightly better graphics, or is it something else?

That would be good info to have, but based on the chart shown in a post above, I'm not permitted to use this in the first place. Since the FAA never allowed FSX to be used as a training/simulation tool, in my mind FSX was purely a consumer product. Since Lockheed states both in their chart and immediately below the chart that P3D shouldn't be used that way, that says to me that Lockheed REALLY, REALLY doesn't want people using it that way. FSX will have legs on it for quite some time(people are still flying Falcon 4 in heavily modded forms, and how old is it), which may be one of the reasons why Microsoft stopped developing it. It would have cost so much to keep the studio open for so long without a new product release that they couldn't keep the lights on.

This could turn into a good thing, though. When I was growing up, I read alot about military history, and through that reading I learned that one of the reasons for large military drawdowns after big wars was so that they wouldn't try to fight the next big war the same way they fought the previous one. When you have to rebuild your military for each generation, you're forced to re-evaluate why you did things the way you did, and that often reveals strategies and methods that don't apply to the new warfront. I bet the same can be said for Flight Simulators. You can only iterate the same flight simulator so many times before you reach a state of diminishing returns. In that case, the best option is to stop throwing money at the behemoth, toss it all aside, and start anew. I don't feel that's what MS had in mind when they developed MS Flight, though. So that makes me wonder if Sim developers are seeing diminishing returns all-together in the Sim market. That might help explain why Lockheed doesn't want to have to worry about satisfying the "consumer entertainment" market; they can focus on the training side of things, which probably make them more money.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3978014 - 07/08/14 01:45 PM Re: Is P3D basically the successor to MS Flight Simulator? [Re: Plainsman]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
Does P3D/P3D2 have all the thousands of airports and cities and countries as FSX? Does it have the entire world that FSX contains but with slightly better graphics, or is it something else?

Yes, it has exactly the same scenery, textures, autogen and landclass as FSX.

They spruced up Norfolk VA a bit as that is now the default starting airport.

They moved the graphics engine over to DX11 which has allowed for some better memory management, volumetric clouds and fog, new shadows (clouds), tesselation, and they've implemented HDR lighting.

Overall the value of the improvemens is very subjective. Some people think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, some like myself are a little underwhelmed. I've posted screenshots over on Avsim of my FSX setup running under DX9 and people couldn't tell the difference between it and P3D2.

You can downplay the EULA issue, but the bottom line is some developers are already charging more money for their P3D2 compatible stuff. Wait for the crap to hit the fan when PMDG announce how much everyone is going to have to cough up for their P3D2 compatible 777 and 737... given how much they already cost in FSX.

Last edited by Pielstick; 07/08/14 01:47 PM.
#4042915 - 11/29/14 12:43 AM Re: Is P3D basically the successor to MS Flight Simulator? [Re: Pielstick]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
Originally Posted By: Pielstick

I get somewhat frustrated to see people fawning over cloud shadows and autogen shadows when the turboprop modelling is still awful, when the runways are still flat, aircraft damage is still very poorly modelled, you can run your engine at full power all day and nothing bad happens, ATC is still extremely limited, we're still grappling with the same old limitations and problems in the weather engine, helicopters still don't model stuff like vortex ring, retreating blade stall, ground effect, etc.

i remembered i read a post about this somewhere, here it is.
when i got to know more about fs series and helicopter, i believe fs9 and fsx already have retreating blade stall and ground effect modeled, don't know about vortex ring, hasn't found evidence. i believe there is also ' phase lag ' modeled. but these only apply to R22 and EH101.
it's true that most people only care about graphics though.

#4044131 - 12/01/14 10:13 PM Re: Is P3D basically the successor to MS Flight Simulator? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
1. MS want's to hang on to the "entertainment" rights just in case one day they want to try screwing the series over again (looking at you, Flight)

It was my understanding that Dovetail Games (aka RSC, or Railsimulator.com) picked up the license for FSX from M$? I'm waiting for them to release the DTG version on Steam, along with a trazillion DLCs *cough*. That's where you might get some conflict between LM and DTG's various iterations of P3D/FSX

Last edited by Leaf85; 12/01/14 10:13 PM.

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
#4044210 - 12/02/14 12:53 AM Re: Is P3D basically the successor to MS Flight Simulator? [Re: -Peregrine-]  
walter Offline
walter  Offline

I think Dovetail will find competition in the flightsim world much stiffer then the railsim monopoly they have right now, they are heading for a showdown with very sophisticated 3rd party developers, time will tell, if they can keep the golden DLC goose flying! biggrin

Cheers
Walt

#4044466 - 12/02/14 05:18 PM Re: Is P3D basically the successor to MS Flight Simulator? [Re: -Peregrine-]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
I agree Walter, especially when DTG's relationships with the 3rd Party Developers they utilize for TS20xx is sometimes a rocky one at best (thinking of the deterioration of Rich Garber and All Aboard's business relationship with RSC for one example).

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.