Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4043797 - 12/01/14 06:52 AM LGB use  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Okay or the life of me I can't get my Paveways to hit. I've got the laser on and not masking, so it's not that I don't have it set, but I drop it via CCRP when it allows me to do it, and I seem to always drop past the target, not onto it. So I'm doing something wrong as far as flight profile or something as I should be hitting after three days of constant practice. Any tips I could use?

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4043843 - 12/01/14 11:21 AM Re: LGB use [Re: EricJ]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

If the bomb falls far, I'm guessing it's a laser problem. First thing that came to mind was that the bomb ran out of energy, but obviously then it would fall short of the target, not far.

When do you start the laser, how many seconds are left before impact when it comes on?

Have you ensured that the laser is continuous, i.e. have you turned on Latch/are you manually pressing the button throughout the bomb's flight?

#4043856 - 12/01/14 12:31 PM Re: LGB use [Re: scrim]  
trindade Offline
Mach2 Club
trindade  Offline
Mach2 Club

Portugal
Originally Posted By: scrim
If the bomb falls far, I'm guessing it's a laser problem. First thing that came to mind was that the bomb ran out of energy, but obviously then it would fall short of the target, not far.

When do you start the laser, how many seconds are left before impact when it comes on?

Have you ensured that the laser is continuous, i.e. have you turned on Latch/are you manually pressing the button throughout the bomb's flight?

^^^^This, and you have to keep the target illuminated until you see the impact through your TGP.

#4043985 - 12/01/14 05:11 PM Re: LGB use [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
I just switch it on so I'll try Latching it as that's something I'm not doing... And no I'm not but I the "L" cue so I guess I'm assuming I'm not lasing, just that the laser isn't active... will try that later on, thanks!

- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4043991 - 12/01/14 05:17 PM Re: LGB use [Re: EricJ]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Latch is set by going into the options in the TGP and clicking it. Basically makes the laser transmit continuously when you simply click the button once and let it go. Otherwise my favorite method is to go into DSMS, the LGB profile and turn Autolase on, setting the timer to 8. This will make the TGP lase the target automatically when 8 seconds are remaining before the bomb impacts.

The L should be on consistently when you've turned on the laser and flash when it's actively lasing a target, as it does when it's guiding a bomb.

#4044027 - 12/01/14 06:38 PM Re: LGB use [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Yeah that's all it really was, just not activating the laser and just dropped 2 with 2 hits, much appreciated!

#4044033 - 12/01/14 06:53 PM Re: LGB use [Re: EricJ]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

There is also a setting in the MFDs for autolasing; I believe it's on the DSMS page for the LGB. You can set it to "on" and dictate how long before the estimated TTI the laser will illuminate.

One thing that is counter-intuitive: don't allow the laser too much time. Much more 20 seconds, and the bomb fall will likely over-correct and not have enough energy to make it to the target. 10-15 seconds is recommended.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4044044 - 12/01/14 07:11 PM Re: LGB use [Re: EricJ]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

I tend to go with 8, that's about what's required from what I've seen so far.

A tip if you're hitting moving vehicles: Come in at a 10°-15° dive, full throttles from the front or rear at for the drop. You might have to do some small adjustments with the laser time, but that tends to give my LGBs enough energy to hit moving targets.

#4044048 - 12/01/14 07:19 PM Re: LGB use [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Yeah I've read usually you should also parallel the vehicle as best as possible as well. And I read that about six years ago somewhere (don't remember where) so thanks for that.

Well I don't remember the TOF for the drops I did but I kept the laser on all the time but as said they both hit squarely on the target, so not sure if it matters (Latch was on, didn't do any settings in the DSMS profile for the bombs either) so much as again I was in CCRP, not CCIP mode when dropping the bombs.

Last edited by EricJ; 12/01/14 07:20 PM.

#4044054 - 12/01/14 07:30 PM Re: LGB use [Re: EricJ]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Well, in some circumstances continuous lasing can cause the bomb to run out of energy and fall short. Mostly I've had this when I'm relatively slow, but overall I don't think it matters much; Everyone picks up on how to use LGBs as they get more experience with them. Just hitting a moving tank was something I considered impossible when I started the A-10, and now I don't have any issues hitting a speeding jeep.

#4044072 - 12/01/14 08:24 PM Re: LGB use [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Yeah agreed, as my Mav shooting both in the C and A has improved over the past week (spending a good hour or so plinking targets on my training mission at least once a day) so I'm getting more stable when moving the pipper around in both jets so yeah always practice practice practice.

#4049898 - 12/13/14 07:08 AM Re: LGB use [Re: scrim]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Originally Posted By: scrim
I tend to go with 8, that's about what's required from what I've seen so far.

A tip if you're hitting moving vehicles: Come in at a 10°-15° dive, full throttles from the front or rear at for the drop. You might have to do some small adjustments with the laser time, but that tends to give my LGBs enough energy to hit moving targets.

Well I just tried CCRP against a slow moving target and managed to get him good with a GBU-12 and that was roughly middle throttle, so it's a start.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.