Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4039955 - 11/23/14 09:44 PM Vulcans vs. Sharks...  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
So I had the opportunity to get a sneak peek at some of Wrecking Crew's work on a MP mission he has been working on (Vulcans vs. Sharks).. This AAR is from before multiple tweaks of the mission, so the final mission will likely vary significantly...

Red and Blue have opposing objectives (obviously). This was meant to be flown as a MP mission, so my flying it as a SP resulted in significant gameplay disadvantages (that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!)... Blue is trying to take Beslan and Red is trying to take Nalchik..

Heading out..

Meanwhile this Mi-8 is off doing some sort of troop insertion. Give em' hell!

The SHTF near Elhotovo where the forces come together. Fortunately for me, as a single-player, there was a lone AI Ka-50 going out in front of me that did a good bit of the initial heavy lifting..

He really did a great job of working over the enemy positions, actually running some of the AA units out of missiles!

Then he went offensive!

Interesting to see a unit without any missiles - is there a reload time modeled? (I assume there is..)

Once he starts laying into the entrenched forces, it isn't long before reinforcements start rolling in from the west...

As they emerge from the treeline the carnage ensues. (Vote for collidable trees that would make this situation even more realistic..requiring waiting for armor to emerge from trees for missile shots!)

I sit in an overwatch position and let the AI Ka-50 work over the advancing units. I watch in fascination through my Shkval as he runs out of missiles and then, the inevitable as he closes to short range to work with his cannon and he gets lit up...

To my surprise, he loses a wing and looks like he is going to crash or land..but he manages to stagger all the way back to base! Nice job comrade!

With the AI having taken out the fixed emplacement, it allows me the freedom to use my 16 Vikhrs against the advancing units. It looks like a Fulda Gap situation...

I fire, lock, fire, lock, fire... I'm well out of range of the Vulcans, and as far as I know, they can't fire on the move anyway (this has been changed in the new iteration of the mission, with Vulcans advancing in waves providing overwatch I think..)..

I eventually run dry on Vikhrs and have to move on to my cannon..necessitating getting in a bit closer...

The Ka-50 cockpit is beautiful! (Ricardo's HD pit updated for World by Devrim)..

The close quarters work has predictable results with me getting laced by a tank and knocking out my hydraulics. My emergency gear extension doesn't work (nor autopilot or trimmer), so I have to ease her down gently at my FARP..

The repair goes well, although I'm positioned on the edge of the FARP. When I restart my engines I'm fortunately able to lift off with no problems...

With a replenished loadout, I head back to the scene of the battle...

The sun is dipping low on the horizon though..darkness is not far away..

Just ten or so klicks from my base I'm stunned to see the remnants of the Vulcan wave advancing toward my base! Holy crap! I get to work...

I use up all my Vikhrs (some miss in my haste) and go back to the thunk, thunk, thunk of the cannon...

The close in knife fight using the cannon is so much fun..dangerous low level flying...

After five minutes it's all over and the advancing forces are smoking carcasses scattered across the plains...

I return back to the FARP, but there are no more weapons to be had for some reason (supply issue)? So I head a few hundred meters over to Beslan airbase and land on their ramp where they are happy to oblige my rearm request...

By now I'm over two hours into the mission and light is fading fast. I ask the ground crew to outfit me for NVGs...

Unfortunately I haven't applied Thomas' circular NVG mod yet, and I'm useless fighting at night..

With no save game available (make it happen ED!!) and several hours in, I just head direct for Nalchik where I get shot down right away. A MP environment would have resulted in bigger gains faster, but this was a lot of fun for a first blush look at the mission..

Nice job Wrecking Crew on continuing to supply the MP community with fun and challenging missions..

Apologies for typos - written very fast..

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4039963 - 11/23/14 09:55 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Nice AAR Beach!

The idea for this mission came from your thread about the fabulous looking Ka-50 --
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4037782/Ka-50_is_looking_fabulous...#Post4037782

Red Ka-50s out of Beslan Airbase are up against Blue Vulcan groups that are looking to capture the airbase.

Blue Huey pilots can insert Stinger teams anywhere on the map. There are two Blue A-10C slots. Oh yeah, there are some Chappies in there with those Vulcans --

crew

#4039968 - 11/23/14 10:03 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Damn, I wish I knew how to fly the Huey.. Wonder how close I could get them in toward Nalchik..

popcorn

BeachAV8R

#4039998 - 11/23/14 11:11 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Excellent AAR BeachAV8R
I have been playing around with Combined arms for a while now
I only wish it was a high fidelity simulation I have long been interested in the survivability of rotary Aircraft
On a modern battlefield. And the tactics used by ground forces to defend them selfs from air attack

#4040004 - 11/23/14 11:26 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Yes, I'd like to see a good bit more self preservation by the AI when it comes to air-to-ground attacks. You'd think that forces under attack would disperse more, leave formation, and/or seek cover, but the DCS World AI is still pretty robotic in that regard. Definitely more progress in that area would be worthwhile..

BeachAV8R

#4040278 - 11/24/14 03:28 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
The_GhostRider Offline
The_GhostRider  Offline

Cleveland OH
Nice AAR, a few things I see from a doctrine standpoint would be that the Vulcans were usually dispersed about 1500 meters for mutual support and they would generally bound during movement to insure that they could cover any air attack.

The_GhostRider

#4040311 - 11/24/14 04:00 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Another good one Beach. Inspiration to break out the Ka50 again.

#4040317 - 11/24/14 04:12 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: The_GhostRider]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: The_GhostRider
Nice AAR, a few things I see from a doctrine standpoint would be that the Vulcans were usually dispersed about 1500 meters for mutual support and they would generally bound during movement to insure that they could cover any air attack.

smile Yeah - I mentioned to Crew that the purists would mention that the bum rush scenario of Vulcans was pretty unrealistic, but he was shooting for a bit of a MP gameplay scenario rather than ultimate realism. That said, the final iteration of the mission after a few tweakings has the Vulcans advancing in waves that provide cover for each other. I haven't had a chance to play through the final version, but I think he tweaked it up even more before going public with it. I hope to get on Hollo Pointe to check it out in the next couple days.

BeachAV8R

#4040321 - 11/24/14 04:19 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Damn, I wish I knew how to fly the Huey.. Wonder how close I could get them in toward Nalchik..

popcorn

BeachAV8R

I know someone who could smile ... what about we set up something big? (Before Elite finally launches and I erase all the other games from my HD?)

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4040329 - 11/24/14 04:32 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
No kidding..I'm looking at Elite and it is looking back at me. <good grief> Just a matter of time before I drop the $ on that I suppose..

#4040342 - 11/24/14 04:55 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

If your VU is shorthanded I would be happy assist in any Combined arms role.
Just PM me when and where.

#4040956 - 11/25/14 04:24 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: The_GhostRider]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: The_GhostRider

I don't disagree! But the mission has some AI Havoks and Hinds at the beginning and those guys stand off and fire missiles that just devastate the Blue air defense. There are enough Vulcans that are doing bounding overwatch to overcome the Red advantage -- IF -- Red Shark Clients don't join in. Blue AI will win the mission if it is left to run w/o humans in it.

WC

#4040986 - 11/25/14 05:14 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: marko1231123]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Originally Posted By: marko1231123
Excellent AAR BeachAV8R
I only wish it was a high fidelity simulation I have long been interested in the survivability of rotary Aircraft
On a modern battlefield. And the tactics used by ground forces to defend them selfs from air attack

A few more hills and other cover would work wonders in simulating that.

From the screeshots it looks as if the ground units are out on a plate waiting to be slaugthered wink

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#4041223 - 11/25/14 11:41 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: Ronin_GE

From the screeshots it looks as if the ground units are out on a plate waiting to be slaugthered wink

Give it a try -- the mission is up on Hollo Pointe.

Some issues had to be fixed up, and it is all ready now. See if you can save Beslan!
Vulcans vs Sharks link

WC

#4041243 - 11/25/14 11:57 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: Ronin_GE]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ronin_GE
Originally Posted By: marko1231123
Excellent AAR BeachAV8R

There is a new Nevada map and the DCS players holy grail (EDGE)
Allegedly both are due soon I hope ED have given some love to us ground pounders.

#4043745 - 12/01/14 03:31 AM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
CrazyDelta Offline
CrazyDelta  Offline

This is for Wrecking Crew - I'm thinking he had a big part in this mission - my friend and I were logged onto Hollo Pointe last Wed, trying out this mission and we really liked it. First time I actually managed to shoot down a helicopter with a stinger (rather it took 2 stingers) missile. Anyways, did the digging and was able to download the mission - I just wanted to know if it would be ok for my buddy to put it up on his server...

#4055043 - 12/23/14 05:37 PM Re: Vulcans vs. Sharks... [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
PM sent, CD.

Would be fun to get a bunch of folks in this mission for H2H action.

WC

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.