Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4043438 - 11/30/14 05:16 AM Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02  
PishPosh Offline
PishPosh  Offline

California

On to the second mission for the harrier campaign! Things are getting a little harrierier...sorry.

Today's target are some fuel tanks at Hejef Airbase. Generally in this game I know what the fuel tanks look like, however these were a bit different since it’s a mod. Man alive, I'd love some recon photos, however none are available.

Ooooohhh goody. That is a loooong flight for a harrier. I may have to divert, but we’ll see what we can do with some 300 gallon fuel tanks on the wings.

We’ll be taking some snakeyes with us. Two bombs. Seems a bit of a stretch to send two harriers way out for a strike mission with just 2 bombs each, but I don’t question the orders.

RIP Donald Hitbrunner, you remind me of that soldier in Black Hawk Down. You barely had your chance to shine. Let’s see if my next wingman has better luck.

CHEVY Lead, ready for departure. (So the trick to keep your wingman from diving into the ocean for unknown reasons is to hurry up and take off before him. If you take too long then he just takes off through your airplane, flies up and the nose dives in the ocean. Fun times.)

Egressing to waypoint 2.

Coming up to feet dry with a wingman closing up on formation.

Looks like somebody is taking things seriously. This flight is headed to the same target I believe to wreck some things.

On the way I’m told to stay low (under 2000 ft) as my route takes me over hostile cities. My wingman and I are soon over a very hostile city and flak is shot up immediately. While at full speed bobbing and weaving, I failed to notice that my wingman broke off and never returned to my wing. That was the last I saw of him. (After checking the logs it seemed he engaged the flak that was shooting at us. While he was able to actually kill one of the flak units, he later was hit himself and ended up KIA. It looks like I’m 0 for 2 wingman returning home alive. Not a good reputation to have.)

While on route, I got word that enemy fighters were heading towards my position. Armed only with sidewinders, I was hoping that the eagles nearby would have my back.

Amazingly enough, they did! It was close though. The enemy fighters fired one missile at me that I just outran, but other than that it was smooth sailing to the target.

Inbound to target!

Very close to target. Dropping tanks.

Target in sight. Sadly, at first glance, I have no idea where the fuel tanks are. After the first pass I spot them, however this is an enemy airfield. The last thing I want to do is to make more than one pass. The mission is the fuel tanks, so I pull up and bank left to give me a good line up to drop my bombs.

I line it up and drop the bombs. Direct hit!

Target hit, mission accomplished. I took some hits from AAA in the wing, but my bird is still flying alright. Booking it out of there.

Heading home. At this point I’m debating diverting to another airfield or attempting to make it back to the assault ship.

I choose to head back to the assault ship. (I would kill for some air to air refueling)

Coming in for a landing. I literally only have one chance at this as my fuel is that low. At this point I think I’m at around 400 pounds of fuel. That is dangerously low.

After a VERY nerve racking approach and landing, I put it down center line nice and easy. (Notice the damage to the left wing. Yay damage model!)

240 pounds left!!! Don’t try this at home kids!

In the end, mission accomplished!! However, I’m turning out to be an unlucky flight lead to be with as I lost another wingman due to him being distracted with AAA on the way to target.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4043445 - 11/30/14 06:26 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: PishPosh]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
I'm enjoying this AAR's. ODS is one of the best mods ever for SF2, but I never was able to put the Harrier back on the ship in one piece, never, still have no idea of how to do it properly, so is nice to see you doing it two timers in a row.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4043452 - 11/30/14 07:12 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: Stratos]  
PishPosh Offline
PishPosh  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: Stratos
I'm enjoying this AAR's. ODS is one of the best mods ever for SF2, but I never was able to put the Harrier back on the ship in one piece, never, still have no idea of how to do it properly, so is nice to see you doing it two timers in a row.

Oh yeah, it's a huge challenge and always nerve racking at the end. That's definitely one of the reasons I not only chose the harrier, but the Bumblebee squadron which puts you on the assault ship.

Glad you're enjoying it! smile

#4043553 - 11/30/14 04:14 PM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: PishPosh]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Great AAR! Love the Harrier (and love the explosion effects in SF2..are those Stary's Hollywood FX explosions or stock?)..

BeachAV8R

#4043696 - 12/01/14 12:31 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
PishPosh Offline
PishPosh  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Great AAR! Love the Harrier (and love the explosion effects in SF2..are those Stary's Hollywood FX explosions or stock?)..

BeachAV8R

Thanks, Beach. The effects are from whatever came with the ODS install. I think they do use Stary's effect pack. They're so much more satisfying than the default effects.

#4043727 - 12/01/14 02:28 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: Stratos]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT

This was the best tutorial I could put together a few years back..

#4044230 - 12/02/14 01:49 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
PishPosh Offline
PishPosh  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R

This was the best tutorial I could put together a few years back..

Great tutorial, now I can land it properly rather than my "figure it out by dying a lot" way. Also, that harrier cockpit looks and sounds amazing, I wish I had that one for the AV-8B. Currently I have no RWR, so trying to figure out where threats are coming from is a seemingly-unauthentic challenge.

#4046886 - 12/07/14 03:43 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: PishPosh]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
Good stuff. thumbsup

One of these days I'll get this Gol-durn steering wheel off my desk, get out the Saitek X52 my bro-in-law gave me, and start flying SF2 again. Such a diverse and fun simulator.

System Vitals: Intel i5 9600, RTX2060, 16GB DDR3000(OC), Win10 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52, Logitech G27
Current Sims: MSFS2020, Assetto Corsa, StrikeFighters2, IL2:BoS etc, Arma3, American Truck Simulator, SnowRunner
#4047629 - 12/08/14 06:20 PM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: PishPosh]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Great AAR!

#4047707 - 12/08/14 08:28 PM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: PishPosh]  
HarryR Offline
HarryR  Offline

UK
It's a wonder you got off the deck with that much kit on the pylons, the real one didn't carry much even though it had a slight advantage with the ramp..until we got the good engine and then we sold the lot of them to you guys wink

Nice AAR!

To..
#4048694 - 12/10/14 07:26 PM Re: Operation Desert Storm: AV-8B II Campaign Mission 02 [Re: HarryR]  
PishPosh Offline
PishPosh  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: HarryR
It's a wonder you got off the deck with that much kit on the pylons, the real one didn't carry much even though it had a slight advantage with the ramp..until we got the good engine and then we sold the lot of them to you guys wink

Nice AAR!

Thanks! It really is a wonder, I was having a hell of a time getting off at first, but eventually figured it out. And that's all with a mediocre flight model, how awesome of a challenge would it be to have a DCS level harrier?

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.