Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4039678 - 11/23/14 05:49 AM I just must not be that good of a pilot.  
Uriah Offline
Uriah  Offline

Kansas City, Missouri - USA
I have been doing a quick mission of 1 on 1 of me in a Spit IIa vs. a 109 3 3/B. The point is to figure out just when to turn the Spit so I get on the tail of the 109 and get a good shot it. I have to do this just right or he zooms on by or ends up on my tail. Unless I get a good shot in I have no hope of catching the 109.

Well, I decided to switch the planes. And darn if the Spit AI can end up catching me in my 109. Plus, I can't seem to hold the aim steady enough to blast the Spit out of the sky using my cannon in that head on situation. But the Spit AI sure can shot gun me good.

Is there some way to tone down the AI?

Race you to the Mucky Duck!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4039714 - 11/23/14 10:09 AM Re: I just must not be that good of a pilot. [Re: Uriah]  
Philstyle Offline
Philstyle  Offline

London
Hi mate,

Like I said in another thread, the AI is able to fly the aircraft almost "perfectly". In those stock single-player 1v1 missions the AI skill is almost always set to high levels.

Yes you can tone-down their skill level, but this requires that you go into the full-mission-builder and manually edit the skill settings of the aircraft. You'll need to spend some time learning how the full-mission-builder works though.

Against human players (online) you can, *most* of the time, out-turn the 109s. Against the AI it's much harder.

#4039737 - 11/23/14 12:38 PM Re: I just must not be that good of a pilot. [Re: Uriah]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

If I may- try and download "In Pursuit".

I thought I wasn't bad as a pilot (virtual)- turns out I was doing all wrong.

It's free, it's useful and it reads really nicely!
Let me know!

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4039786 - 11/23/14 03:02 PM Re: I just must not be that good of a pilot. [Re: Uriah]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
In a passing situation like you are practicing, you need to have a certain separation distance(not heading straight at him). Then a keen sense of timing to begin your turn at just the right time(before you pass each other), which will put you on his six, or you could try something else like a hammerhead or even could do a split S to reverse, while gaining some speed from the dive to catch him hopefully

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#4039788 - 11/23/14 03:06 PM Re: I just must not be that good of a pilot. [Re: Uriah]  
Uriah Offline
Uriah  Offline

komemiute, you mean
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/lento_ohjeet/inpursuit/inpursuit.pdf

Philstyle, I get that the AI is 'perfect' but I never thought that a SpitIIa could catch me in a 109 E 3/B.

So I must really be doing something wrong, or maybe just a little wrong.

Looking forward to reading 'In Pursuit'.

#4039793 - 11/23/14 03:14 PM Re: I just must not be that good of a pilot. [Re: Uriah]  
Uriah Offline
Uriah  Offline

SlipBall, good to hear. I kind of stumbled on that using past knowledge. And sometimes I can turn at the 'right time and get in a good shot. What surprised me is that when I switch planes the Spit AI was able to catch up with me after I had long passed and gone on. It took long time but AI could do it. Something I did not think was possible.

#4042539 - 11/28/14 07:24 AM Re: I just must not be that good of a pilot. [Re: Uriah]  
Hackl Offline
Hackl  Offline

Kelowna, BC,Canada
Hi Uriah.

If you are having problems the best thing I can recommend are a set of very entertaining and informative videos on youtube by a nice fellow who goes buy the handle of "apeoftheyear". They start out basic and go through how to fly smartly a make kills. On the video where he gets five Spitfire kills towards the end he does a little phylosophy speech about negative and positive thinking that makes so much sense. Here is the first video.

Last edited by Hackl; 11/28/14 07:30 AM.
#4042552 - 11/28/14 08:43 AM Re: I just must not be that good of a pilot. [Re: Uriah]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Uriah
komemiute, you mean
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/lento_ohjeet/inpursuit/inpursuit.pdf

Philstyle, I get that the AI is 'perfect' but I never thought that a SpitIIa could catch me in a 109 E 3/B.

So I must really be doing something wrong, or maybe just a little wrong.

Looking forward to reading 'In Pursuit'.

Affirm. It's one of the best thing ever written about air combat in general. Limited to guns engagements only, but a read damn worth its time. wink

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.