Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4041918 - 11/27/14 12:01 AM Operation Desert Storm: Av-8B II Campaign Mission 01  
PishPosh Offline
PishPosh  Offline

California

I'm generally a DCS guy, but also a huge harrier fan and since DCS can't scratch that itch there is a pretty fun version to fly in Strike Fighters 2 that has some surprisingly challenging flight dynamics. After installing the Desert Storm mod found over at Combatace.com I decided to give the AV-8b II campaign a go.

I've chosen the Hard difficulty with all labels off, "full simulation" settings, limited supplies and hard difficulty AI. I also will be very limiting on the times I hit the map key and also hitting the "skip to action" button. Full flights all the way so I have to pay attention to my fuel as well as surrounding threats. You might also notice my unit is the VMA-331 Bumblebees. This unit allows you to play the campaign from the USS Nassau rather than from an airfield. That's pretty awesome that an assault ship comes with the mod.

Let's get this show goin!

Oh Saddam, what WON'T you do!

Alright, so my first mission is to take out some air defense unit/s around a scud site.

First thing we need to do is look at the planned route. It seems I don't need to go too far, however the harrier only carries around 7,500 pounds of fuel which really isn't that much. Unless I divert I'm going to need to take some tanks.

I decide to take off the Rockeyes and put some 300 gallon tanks on my wings as long as I have the mavericks. Nothing in the center line slot as it'd be too heavy to take off with.

Time to rock and roll.

Nice early morning flight! (It took me quite a few tries to take off with this much weight. The AI wingman barely is able to and if you don't take off before him then he drops like a brick for some reason.)

After a few tries I finally made it off. It turns out you have to point the nozzle all the way back and then as soon as you leave the deck you pop the nozzle at a 45 degree angle and climb. You can't do VTOLs with that much weight so it has to be a short take off

Wingman down! (AI isn't too smart) Continuing with mission.

Heading to Waypoint 2 and climbing to 25,000 ft.

Leveling out.

Feet dry.

One cool thing about Strike Fighter 2 campaigns is that there is a ton of stuff going on and, like in Falcon BMS, you don't feel like the center of the stage. There truly is a war going on. Here's a couple B-52s headed to a target.

Approaching target. I see what looks like a previous bombing attempt that missed a ton of stuff. In any case, I switch over to my mavericks and lock on to a target.

Bingo. There's my target.

I let a maverick off. Sadly it misses as I come screaming over the target so I bank a hard left and try to line him up again.

Rifle! Hope this one hits cause it's my last one. I'm not sure if my guns will penetrate a shilka's armor. (I think they might in this game.)

BOOM! Direct hit!

I get the "Mission Accomplished" message and head home.

I get a nice sun rise on my return flight. Feet wet!

Carrier group spotted! Now comes the hard part of the mission.

Gear down, airbrake deployed, nav lights on, flaps down, nozzle at a little past 90 degrees.

Thanks to my DCS huey training, I paid very close attention to my decent rate and never went past 10 m/s(?) (maybe feet per second? Anything past the 1 and your decent was too fast.)

Easing her down slow and steady.

A very nerve racking center line touchdown!

Mission accomplished! Although it was only one shilka to take out, the entire mission was a lot of fun to fly. Even though Strike Fighters doesn't have the greatest flight dynamics, it's still very impressive and still a very big challenge in some jets, most notably the harrier. Only cheat I used was speeding up the time as these flights can be a bit long.

Mods used:

Desert Storm (Part 1)
Desert Storm (Part 2)
Desert Storm (Part 3)
Sarcasm: Slightly Artistic representation of clouds

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4041929 - 11/27/14 12:20 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: Av-8B II Campaign Mission 01 [Re: PishPosh]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Nice write up, sorry for the wingman! biggrin
I used to fly this series a lot. I was very much in love with Vietnam...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4041968 - 11/27/14 02:14 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: Av-8B II Campaign Mission 01 [Re: komemiute]  
PishPosh Offline
PishPosh  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: komemiute
Nice write up, sorry for the wingman! biggrin
I used to fly this series a lot. I was very much in love with Vietnam...

Thanks man. Vietnam with the mods available is an absolute blast, I may have to do an F-4 playthrough.

#4041975 - 11/27/14 02:31 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: Av-8B II Campaign Mission 01 [Re: PishPosh]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Great write up. Indeed - the landing at the amphibious assault ship is the hardest part of the mission. Very, very delicate indeed. Look forward to more!

BeachAV8R

#4042005 - 11/27/14 04:08 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: Av-8B II Campaign Mission 01 [Re: PishPosh]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
The AI in SF2 is so wonky, I finally had to uninstall it after having played the series since the Wal-Mart debacle.

Sure wish it was better.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4042008 - 11/27/14 04:20 AM Re: Operation Desert Storm: Av-8B II Campaign Mission 01 [Re: PFunk]  
PishPosh Offline
PishPosh  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Great write up. Indeed - the landing at the amphibious assault ship is the hardest part of the mission. Very, very delicate indeed. Look forward to more!

BeachAV8R

Thank you very much sir, your AARs are a constant inspiration. The Harrier is definitely one of the more challenging aircraft of Strike Fighters and so is landing on a carrier. This seems to combine them both.

Originally Posted By: PFunk
The AI in SF2 is so wonky, I finally had to uninstall it after having played the series since the Wal-Mart debacle.

Sure wish it was better.

It really is. It's actually an awesome idea though that your AI teammates all have their own stats, but it's definitely hard to believe that those stats do anything since the AI do some really dumb things at times.

Last edited by PishPosh; 11/27/14 04:20 AM.
#4042336 - 11/27/14 09:00 PM Re: Operation Desert Storm: Av-8B II Campaign Mission 01 [Re: PFunk]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Originally Posted By: PFunk

Sure wish it was better.

And I was waiting for your '80's style bush war map...

Anyway the AAR is grest! Thanks mate.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4043311 - 11/29/14 10:27 PM Re: Operation Desert Storm: Av-8B II Campaign Mission 01 [Re: Stratos]  
Antares Offline
Antares  Offline

99 Decision St
Quote:
It turns out you have to point the nozzle all the way back and then as soon as you leave the deck you pop the nozzle at a 45 degree angle and climb

Correct. Well done for figuring this out wink

Anyways, if you want to know more about flying the Harrier, John Farley's "A View From The Hover" should be first off your bookshelf.

Your report was cool! Keep it up!

R

Quote:
So the Thunderhawk would come screaming out of the sky at mach ohmygod! and as soon as the struts hit the ground they would rip off.

Quote:
You're trying to apply scientific principles to 40k. Do you not see the problem with that?

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.