Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4041107 - 11/25/14 08:42 PM What A Piece Of Garbage  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
I got home from work early today. Case settled. Before I head out for week, I fire up the game. Let's see what is new if anything. Maybe put it on autopilot for a while to get some of what I paid for to begin with....

Ahhh: Can't play because cannot connect to server. Of course, there is no such thing as offline.

You can't make this #%&*$# up.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4041112 - 11/25/14 08:47 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
1 - When online, tick the box "save password".
2 - Play off line - Quick Mission and Single Mission.

smile

#4041143 - 11/25/14 09:39 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
I got home from work early today. Case settled. Before I head out for week, I fire up the game. Let's see what is new if anything. Maybe put it on autopilot for a while to get some of what I paid for to begin with....

Ahhh: Can't play because cannot connect to server. Of course, there is no such thing as offline.

I play offline all the time. I play mostly offline.

Last edited by Murphy; 11/26/14 04:42 PM.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4041161 - 11/25/14 09:55 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
KrustyvonKlown Offline
KrustyvonKlown  Offline

Massachusetts
Actually, it looks like he wants to play the campaign offline, which you can not do. This was all explained in the developer blogs, so the only thing being made up is the angst.

#4041168 - 11/25/14 10:04 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: KrustyvonKlown]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: KrustyvonKlown
Actually, it looks like he wants to play the campaign offline, which you can not do. This was all explained in the developer blogs, so the only thing being made up is the angst.

Yes, I agree that any new prospective BoS customer should read the 80+ pages of developer blogs BEFORE buying BoS or face the prospect of being implied a fool when this ATYPICAL game does not meet their expectations.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4041170 - 11/25/14 10:07 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
KrustyvonKlown Offline
KrustyvonKlown  Offline

Massachusetts
Doesn't this atypical game work the same as RoF? And doesn't CoD also require an internet connection?

#4041175 - 11/25/14 10:18 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
CloD allow play "QM", SP and SP Campaigns without Internet connection.

Just set STEAM (online) in offline mode (or use a "alternative" method posted here long time ago). thumbsup

Sokol1

#4041239 - 11/25/14 11:53 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
ChiefRedCloud Offline
ChiefRedCloud  Offline

Canton, Georgia, USA
Airdrop it isn't the end of the world .... enjoy your week in the world of reality. I bet it's up when you get back.

I'll look for you in the sky ...

Chief

R.E.D. (Retired Extremely Dangerous
#4041334 - 11/26/14 03:32 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Bearcat99]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99

I play offline all the time. I play mostly offline. warning, PM sent

And yet another BOS mod heard from with a comment that would get him banned on another board but overlooked here. Oh, and he is WRONG.

Last edited by Murphy; 11/26/14 04:45 PM.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4041336 - 11/26/14 03:36 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: ChiefRedCloud]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: ChiefRedCloud
Airdrop it isn't the end of the world .... enjoy your week in the world of reality. I bet it's up when you get back.

I'll look for you in the sky ...

Chief

It's harder to "enjoy" your week when the sim you paid $100 for won't let you play the campaign. It's just BS that they don't let you play certain offline modes without being online. Even though they claim it's for the good of the user...it's just intrusive DRM no matter how you slice it. They pulled the same crap with ROF while claiming it was so they could tweak the career template on their side...the career remained the same beta basically with the same bugs for years.

It doesn't matter that you can play "other" weak offline modes...you should be able to play your single player offline.

It's kinda silly for them to put this type of DRM on it when it has the best type of DRM already...the game is so disappointing I can't think of anyone that would want to pirate it.

thumbsup

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4041338 - 11/26/14 03:42 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

And yet another BOS mod heard from with a comment that would get him banned on another board but overlooked here. Oh, and he is WRONG.

That is a #%&*$# comment, I will give you that.

Last edited by Murphy; 11/26/14 04:46 PM.
#4041351 - 11/26/14 04:28 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Master]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Master

Ah...you can't blame " edit; fellow posters". To us, this is a product we paid for, to some it's a job. They're supposed to look for ways to try and spin anything negative into some sort of user error that's the fault of one of his fellow simmers.

"Insult Defend at all costs!" I think is what they shout out when they break from the BOS moderators meeting every morning.

I fixed that post for you Force10... wink ...it's no longer a 'vague insult'.
I believe the score is even now, both side have one 'error'. wink

Last edited by Murphy; 11/26/14 05:18 PM.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4041366 - 11/26/14 05:09 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Force10]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA

On what board would my comment get me banned? I am just curious....

Originally Posted By: Master

Really? That bad? Well at least I still can't hold a candle to you in the #%&*$# department.

Originally Posted By: Force10

Ah...you can't blame Bearcat. To us, this is a product we paid for, to him it's his job. He's supposed to look for ways to try and spin anything negative into some sort of user error that's the fault of one of his fellow simmers.

"Insult Defend at all costs!" I think is what they shout out when they break from the BOS moderators meeting every morning.

As well informed as ever I see....

This statement;
"Perhaps there is a short between the headset."

Is obviously a vague insult, I would take it as such, if sent to me in that context.
I'll admit, it's not an 'obvious' one, and could be taken either way.
So I'll take no action in this case, no matter who would have posted that remark.

I would ask that we all attempt to be civil in our responses.
We now have a new moderator, and his judgement will not be challenged.
He has no side to take.
No personal insults, from anyone.
It ends here, so I do hope we can all continue to communicate here, in a civil manor.
Thanks smile

Last edited by Murphy; 11/26/14 04:53 PM.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4041376 - 11/26/14 06:30 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Bearcat99]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA

I play offline all the time. I play mostly offline. Perhaps there is a short between the headset.

Airdrop is mad at the game, Bearcat. How does that warrant an insult from you? Forum members are supposed to come here to talk about games. You seem to mostly show up here to talk about forum members.

Games are different than people, Bearcat. Airdrop wasn't even speaking to you or about you, he was talking about an inanimate object. Yet you jump in his face with an insult. What's wrong with you?

#4041377 - 11/26/14 06:34 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
What is it what makes people so mad about having to be online while playing a game? I mean, you are online all day long these days. Your smartphone is online, your PC is usually online when you fire it up, even my darn TV set is online while i am watching the news! Never understood why some people have problems with games which require access to an online server.

Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
#4041384 - 11/26/14 07:17 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: VF-2 John Banks]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: VF-2 John Banks
What is it what makes people so mad about having to be online while playing a game?

See the original post in this thread for starters. Also...I imagine you are "bandwith privilidged"? Not everyone is.

Example: My internet used to be horrid. After busting ass at work for 6 days I manage to squeeze in a precious hour of gaming...so I fire up my favorite game and BAM! What's this? A forced 2 gig update that I didn't want and will take 4 hours to download. You can't stop it and the game won't let you play until it's finished.

Forced updates that render your favorite mod useless.
Forced updates that make your progress in the game vanish (developer says "oops...sorry)
Forced updates that may fix some things but make other things worse for you
If your internet is down you can't play your single player game. (happens a lot in rural areas)
You just rent the game and are at the developers mercy
An angry developer (Loft) can threaten to shutdown the access servers rendering your game uselss (bye $100)
The developer only allows you to play exactly the way they want you to.

There are a lot more reasons but that's all I can think of right now.

It's just not good and has no upside or benefits for single players

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4041396 - 11/26/14 08:04 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Force10]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Force10
Originally Posted By: VF-2 John Banks
What is it what makes people so mad about having to be online while playing a game?

See the original post in this thread for starters. Also...I imagine you are "bandwith privilidged"? Not everyone is.

Example: My internet used to be horrid. After busting ass at work for 6 days I manage to squeeze in a precious hour of gaming...so I fire up my favorite game and BAM! What's this? A forced 2 gig update that I didn't want and will take 4 hours to download. You can't stop it and the game won't let you play until it's finished.

Forced updates that render your favorite mod useless.
Forced updates that make your progress in the game vanish (developer says "oops...sorry)
Forced updates that may fix some things but make other things worse for you
If your internet is down you can't play your single player game. (happens a lot in rural areas)
You just rent the game and are at the developers mercy
An angry developer (Loft) can threaten to shutdown the access servers rendering your game uselss (bye $100)
The developer only allows you to play exactly the way they want you to.

There are a lot more reasons but that's all I can think of right now.

It's just not good and has no upside or benefits for single players

+1 to all points!

And this one in particular: "You just rent the game and are at the developers mercy"

Eager to get the new Hanriot in RoF I accepted the most recent RoF update which included the Hanriot I had paid for. With that update all RoF users lost the ability to use SweetFX while in-game AA is enabled, and my AMD AA doesn't work very well with RoF. No benefit to players, maybe a benefit to 777. I asked about it on the RoF forum and was told by Jason that it was permanent. Now I will never purchase another product from 777 in fear of what kind of bad medicine the update with that product will bring. Fortunately, you can play RoF in SP offline mode using PWCG, so I will never need to log into RoF again, AND I WON'T. Not the case with BoS.

Its one thing to stop me from illegally distributing copies of their game, but 777/1CGS view their rights to include altering the game on my computer at will, and now with BoS, stopping us from playing it altogether by simply cutting off their servers as Loft as already threatened to do.

777/1CGS are on the cutting edge of INTRUSIVE!

I like this BOLD PRINT THING. I learned that from BEARCAT biggrin

#4041405 - 11/26/14 08:46 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Prangster Offline
Prangster  Offline

UK

What a bunch of Drama Queens there are on this forum.

This is why I rarely visit the SimHQ fight sim forums. They're just full of internet warriors trying to prove that "there" flight sim is the best and rubbish all others. Or that the developers are so wrong for not producing exactly the game that they want to play.

All the negativity doesn't really make you feel any better, try to do something positive instead. If you enjoy CloD or DCS or RoF then make some mission or even a campaign. It seems to me that the creativity is missing here these days, I think it's been at least a year since a new campaign for CloD was posted and DCS missions are few and far between. Is this what modern flight simming has become, a place where whining on a forum has replaced creativity?

I'd love to see more and more user created content for my sims and I'd like to see SimHQ as a place to go to learn about it and discuss exciting new ideas. Let's all just do something positive for the ourselves and the community and have some fun, it's a game after all (definition: An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime:).

Ian "Prangster" Jeremiah
#4041417 - 11/26/14 09:27 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I think everyone knew that you had to have an internet connection to play the game before you bought it, it's nothing new these days.
And no, I'm not having a go at the OP, as I have been mad with the same system with RoF for years... it's the same with Bo$, as both games only give you a limited part of the game you can play offline.
If Bo$ 'was' more like it's IL2 predecessor there would be not so much of a problem, as there was so much user made content we could play, single missions, dgen missions, and campaign after campaign etc...
Sadly, there is nothing much like that with Bo$ at the moment, you know, the proud successor to the legendary IL2?

#4041456 - 11/26/14 11:59 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Successor to the legendary IL2????

Imposter would be the better word, imo, of course.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.