Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
#4039617 - 11/23/14 01:59 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
f15sim Offline
More projects than sense!
f15sim  Offline
More projects than sense!

Graham, WA
It's science FICTION. It also beats the living snot out of yet /another/ comic book movie. Simply watch it and be entertained.

I loved it. If they don't get a pile of Oscars, someone needs a swift kick in the nuts.

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - the Me-109F/X Project
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4039636 - 11/23/14 02:42 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
The Oscars have never taken scifi films seriously unfortunately. To date there has never been a scifi film that has won Best Picture.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4039639 - 11/23/14 02:52 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
My wife and I went to see this a couple of days ago. A morning show on a weekday. We've never done that before. We both thought it was terrific.
I'm glad the right team got ahold of this project. The wrong director could have turned this into a special effects fest and easily gone overboard with the CGI. Instead, it was plot and character driven. Very good.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4039660 - 11/23/14 04:17 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
So I just saw it on 70mm Imax. It was a fun story but so full of holes I don't even know where to begin. The inconsistencies of the Physics varied from small problems to large ones. However, despite it all, it was an entertaining story that managed to highlight a few situations identified within relativity and astrophysics and the dilemma encountered with them, albeit, full of hyperbole, it was still nice to see these broached in a film fit for the general public.

I was saddened by the minimal astrobiology present within it. That would have been neat to see more of but whatever, the film wasn't about intellectual prowess--I'll leave that to Clarke's 2001 for starters; no, the film was about entertainment and more an exposition of the emotional side of interstellar travel.

#4039708 - 11/23/14 09:28 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
The reference to Clarke is interesting (though probably inevitable in this context). As much of an apples and oranges type of comparison it is, the movie 2001 is the by far superior work of art than Clarke's book is, particularly because of two things.
  1. Kubrick's work is more open-ended and enigmatic. It leaves the audience more room to imagine what it's all about.
  2. Kubrick's sequence of events and cutting technique suggests that HAL as the pinnacle of engineering, the embodiment of technology itself that brought ape-men to the moon and beyond, is actively sabotaging the mission because technology wants to keep mankind in some kind of symbiotic dependency.
    Clarke on the other hand delivers an explanation of HAL's behavior that is entirely rooted in technological reasons, IOW, HAL and/or his mission instructions weren't engineered good enough. So the book is entirely stuck in the mindset that the movie attempts to transcend.
    In that respect film and book are direct antagonists. It wouldn't even be beyond the comprehensible that Kubrick let it happen on purpose, that he didn't explain to Clarke his vision of what it was all about and rather let Clarke demonstrate to the public that he was still a technologist through and through.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4039763 - 11/23/14 02:11 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman
no, the film was about entertainment and more an exposition of the emotional side of interstellar travel.

When your film has a 165 million dollar budget it has to be.

Now had Nolan been making a documentary for either Nova or the Science Channel then things would have been done differently.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/23/14 05:50 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4039842 - 11/23/14 05:31 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
Think it was pitched pretty much perfectly for a big budget film. It introduced a lot of chunky science concepts at a level appropriate for a mainstream movie and didn't completely mangle any of them. Details might have been iffy but context was fine for the story they were telling and it's probably made a lot of kids / adults interested in finding out more about astrophysics. I've certainly been doing a lot of reading this week!

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
#4040066 - 11/24/14 02:55 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman
no, the film was about entertainment and more an exposition of the emotional side of interstellar travel.

When your film has a 165 million dollar budget it has to be.

Now had Nolan been making a documentary for either Nova or the Science Channel then things would have been done differently.

Well, see, I think you can have realistic science and physics along with all the other stuff. But, going into the movie I fully expected the Physics to be so bad I'd roll my eyes at times--and I did. I had zero confidence in Nolan writing a hard sci-fi plot. He's no Asimov or Clarke. But I think you can have a combination of both. I have always enjoyed Contact, for instance. It was a great movie. I know people boo and hiss at the ending, but frankly Sagan painted an incredibly accurate picture while still having a very entertaining movie (even if it was posthumously released).

But I'll forever be a critic. I write hard science fiction so everything they discussed in the movie I was already very familiar with and saw right through it. Despite it, I enjoyed it regardless because as Asimov once said in an interview (you can find it on Youtube), to paraphrase, "We write science fiction to entertain and tell good stories."

And that, the movie, did just fine.

#4040158 - 11/24/14 11:24 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
[quote=PanzerMeyer When your film has a 165 million dollar budget it has to be. [/quote]

The Republic of India has just sent a real mission to Mars for $73m.

There's something wrong here.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4040163 - 11/24/14 11:41 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
What can I say? Indians work cheap. biggrin

#4040260 - 11/24/14 03:07 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Don't forget that wormhole wasn't natural, it was engineered. Therefore its ends were placed deliberately.

Perhaps they thought we'd be smart enough to stay away from the planets next to the black hole, but it could be argued it was weird for them to have the other end anywhere near one in the first place. Like evacuating prisoners from a detention camp onto the frontline of an active battlefield...leave the place where you're slowly dying for one that could kill you in a second?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4040340 - 11/24/14 04:54 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Well see the whole thing about a placed wormhole is technically it wouldn't stay open long at all, not without some sort of constant mechanical intervention--which they would have seen once inside it. There was none such thing so just another on a long list of problems with the film.

Of course, this is just in theory. We've never made a wormhole and lack the technology currently to make one (and more precisely, the energy, depending on which method we use to perturb spacetime). But from casual observation and the data collected thus far, they'd need some sort of constant force to maintain them else they'd close.

#4040533 - 11/24/14 10:23 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Click to reveal..
Within the circular logic of a time travel paradox the wormhole HAD to be so close to the supermassive black hole (assuming that it was indeed as "low threat" as a supermassive BH can possibly be (not very) so that the astronaut and his robot would fall below the event horizon as a precondition to send himself on a mission, and to spark his daughter's scientific interest to the point that she would lay the foundation to gravitation based technology. And who knows, maybe the wormhole uses Gargantua as an energy source for its formation, or even for keeping it (relatively) stable.

#4043772 - 12/01/14 04:58 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4043894 - 12/01/14 02:35 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Indeed.
OT--I went to this link from that page:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3758&p=.htm

Their prediction from 12/1/13 that for Frozen "a final total north of $250 million seems within reach" is now laughably understated--$401m domestic and over $1.2bn total worldwide. biggrin

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4043903 - 12/01/14 02:52 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Yup. "Frozen" has more than made up for the box office turkeys that were "Lone Ranger" and "John Carter".

#4044326 - 12/02/14 10:39 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
John Carter seems to have been really poorly
promoted. I think I became aware of it near the
end of its run, and I've spoken to a few people
who were fluent, if perhaps not overtly rabid
of Burroughs' work, that is to say having read
several, and they were completely unaware that
the movie had existed. Even if it wasn't a
great production, a better promotion ought to
have drawn a larger viewership from those
familiar with the novels, at least from the
"oh, they've made a movie of it, that might
be interesting" sort of constituency.

#4044351 - 12/02/14 01:08 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Fully agree with you PV1. I had no clue what "John Carter" was about until I saw a trailer for it a couple of weeks before its release. Actually, I also had never heard of the novel by Burroughs either. My impression is that it's not as highly known as other scifi novels like "Dune" or "2001 A Space Odyssey".

#4044421 - 12/02/14 03:36 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It's a lot older. I remember my dad talking about Barsoom when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, as books he had read. Not that my dad's reading habits were typical, he enjoyed old SF.

Funny thing is I'm amazed people didn't know about the film. It seemed to me like I was inundated with marketing for it for over a month, the marketing budget must've been massive.

The film itself was ok. It wasn't bad, but it didn't inspire me much either. It sort of lay there. Perhaps the casting was wrong. Maybe the script needed another pass or two. Maybe a hundred things.

The Jedi Master

#4044423 - 12/02/14 03:40 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
That year was not good for Taylor Kitsch. Two films that same year in which he had the lead role tanked at the box office. The other film being "Battleship".

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.