Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4039268 - 11/22/14 07:01 AM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
I've also heard a Hog pilot say "I don't care tell me where the bad guys are." (was working the Korengal so heard it on CAS FM)

But that was more when dealing with USAF JTACs as opposed to Marine ones, which I've never worked with.

BTW I was a qualified JFO (certified in 2007-2013, because I got out of the military last year) so as said, it's a bit different with being a JFO as opposed to being a qualified JTAC.

Last edited by EricJ; 11/22/14 07:32 AM.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4039495 - 11/22/14 07:52 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
http://562.50megs.com/562nd/DCS-JFO-JTAC-Pilot-GuideRC1.zip

- Tweaked some of the PTL/LTL stuff, added the Laser Cone for both sides (JFO/JTAC and Pilot), changed the names and images a bit as well.

- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4039612 - 11/23/14 01:52 AM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
http://562.50megs.com/562nd/DCS-JFO-JTAC-Pilot-GuideRC2.zip

-Added Weaponeering, Terrain References, correcting weapons fire

#4039811 - 11/23/14 03:59 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Thanks for making and sharing Eric. Will be handy, me and a friend just tested with A-10A and CA last week using the NVG mod below...

The mod made by nrgized will enable NVG's (else you can't see the IR pointer) in the A-10A as well as a few other planes and is very well done...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=100333

/KC

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4039826 - 11/23/14 04:38 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Nice... I've been wondering why the P-51s all have NVGs but the frakkin jets don't, but yeah man nice mod...

#4039871 - 11/23/14 06:45 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Okay I installed it and which keys do I use to activate the NVGs for the A with this mod?

#4039889 - 11/23/14 07:38 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
You have to edit this file (make backup first!)

...\DCS\Mods\aircraft\Flaming Cliffs\Input\a-10a\keyboard\default.lua

and add the following under the "Sensor" section...

Code:
{combos = {{key = "Num-", reformers = {"LCtrl"}}}, pressed = iCommandPlane_Helmet_Brightess_Down, name = "Gain goggles down", category = "Sensors"},
{combos = {{key = "Num+", reformers = {"LCtrl"}}}, pressed = iCommandPlane_Helmet_Brightess_Up, name = "Gain goggles up", category = "Sensors"},
{combos = {{key = "N"}}, down = iCommandViewNightVisionGogglesOn, name = "Toggle goggles", category = "Sensors"},  

I select N for ON/OFF and CTRL+NUM-/+ for gain but you can pick whatever you want. Maybe something to add to the PDF?

Hope this help!

/KC

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4039905 - 11/23/14 08:00 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
Skoop Offline
Skoop  Offline

Ventura, CalifornIA
Any chance you could post the file as a PDF and not in a zip file so I could open it with my I phone ? Also you might want to update the first post link with the new revisions, as this thread evolves and goes several pages it will be hard for people to find the new version. I say all this because I like what you are doing and want to follow it, so just thought I would throw out some helpful suggestions.

#4039906 - 11/23/14 08:02 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: sgtduder]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: sgtduder
Firstly, I am half a bottle down of Jamison.....

<g> Always a great way to start a post - and I've found a few adult beverages smooths out my control inputs on the Ka-50.. <g>

Secondly, I am a fan of PC Pilot.

Great! Wish they were cheaper per issue, but I guess it is a pretty niche community...

I have actually have had the chance to ride in the front seat of a cobra twice (one with a nose full of gun which I liked very much) and had the pleasure of a two hour CAS sortie in the back seat of a F/A-18D where I actually took the 9-line from the JTAC and worked the sensor for the pilot. Those experiences are not typical of the JTAC community however. I was fortunate enough to find myself in a unit where I was afforded the opportunity / privileged.

Damn, those must have been memories to take to the grave. Was it sensory overload or were you so focused on the learning that you were able to shake that off?

As far as Marines go, All FACs are winged aviators and JTACs are not. Not all Marine pilots do FAC tours however, only the really lucky ones! JFOs are a necessary evil but they have the same weapon release authority as everyone else on the battlefield. I.E. if the JTAC takes one in the running lights they can get on the radio and say "I am not a JTAC, the bad guys are ......" JFOs help JTACs with target location and terminal guidance operations when required.

Good info. I just finished Firestrike 7/9, it was an interesting look into the JTAC world. Curious if you've read it and what you thought of it..

Firestrike 7/9

Interested to read your guide Eric, haven't had a moment to do so quite yet..

BeachAV8R

#4039909 - 11/23/14 08:12 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
KeyCat: Much appreciated, will include the mod as a reference as part of the Appendix section, thanks!

Skoop: I'll see what I can do, as I like to keep (now anyway that I've figured out a good title) the RC as a way of updating but I just figured out a way, so gimme a few and I'll get it up as a downloadable PDF.

BeachAV8R: No problem, but given most pilots have probably done some of this stuff it's a bit redundant for most old hats.

And I took a ride in the C version and started (while I was doing night low level) to play with the buttons and such, now I just have to figger out the Mavs and how to move the Pipper around, along with the TGP but overall seems a bit easier when you take the time to figure it out, and handles much better than the A as well, so I'll get the A stuff done and as I figure out the A-10C I'll add stuff as I go along.

Last edited by EricJ; 11/23/14 08:16 PM.

#4039918 - 11/23/14 08:23 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Okay done Skoop, should work now.

#4040076 - 11/24/14 03:27 AM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Just have to say, that when I was supporting a Tank Company years ago when they got the M1A2, they were moaning about the A1 and how it was a "Gunner's tank" and the same can be said about the difference between the A and C A-10. Maverick gunnery shouldn't be so... retarded? in operation compared to the A, which you can setup the pipper in the middle of the HUD, lock on the ground, move around, gripe about the slew rate, but eventually you'll get a lock, faster than in the C. I mean if they implemented the A controls in the C then I'd go C but as said, the A is a "Gunner's jet" while the C just has more thingamabobs and doohickeys to mess with but I still have to watch that video by Bunyap but man... the C is nice though but seriously Maverick gunnery shouldn't be that bad even in CCIP mode, but it is what it is... though I did manage to learn how to use the system and get it working on the C (not damn hard actually) but stuff like that makes a difference for mountain shootin' that's for sure. But still even then it's workable with some practice, and lots of it as well...

#4040090 - 11/24/14 03:55 AM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

eek Someone get on the horn with Bletchley Park, I need top cryptographers to crack whatever that means!

Lol, but I think I understand what you mean. I remember having a hard time getting used to the Maverick aiming process when I started with the C, but once you get on top of it I think you'll even prefer it. I certainly prefer the advantages of using the TGP with different different modes, superior zoom and ground stabilization to aim the Mavericks over the extreme difficulty I had in flying the A in a straight line whilst at the same time staring into a tiny screen to see a picture that would bounce around wildly the moment I started slewing it.

Last edited by scrim; 11/24/14 03:58 AM.
#4040095 - 11/24/14 04:08 AM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Yeah that's what I meant man, but given it's a first time trying to shoot it may be a little too strong but overall I do like the slew rate much better than the A for sure. It's more smooth and such but I guess its just the locking system I have more of a problem with as opposed to actual modeling of the whole process, which is cool once you learn it. I have no problem aiming it via CCIP mode, I just prefer it not to lock onto the ground and allow me to zoom in manually (maybe I missed a button somewhere?) and adjust. Given the A yes, is a PITA I prefer it over the C mainly you can manually lock and slew the weapon and then it lock on, as opposed to letting it lock on to a piece of a cloud, the ground after a few seconds and have to use the China Hat button to reset to re-slew.

Last edited by EricJ; 11/24/14 04:09 AM.

#4040105 - 11/24/14 04:52 AM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

I hear ya', I was more frustrated at the process of using Mavericks in the C at first more and for longer than I like admitting to!

If you're talking about the TGP, I might be able to help you out a bit. If you don't want it to ground stabilize, all you've got to do is not slew it. If you have, just do China Hat short back, that'll recenter it. Zooming can be done with China Hat short forward, and more gradually with DMS short up and down.

But if you're having those issues with using the Maverick old school style, by themselves, then I've got no tips I'm afraid. The experience you've amassed on it so far is more than likely in excess of mine.

Last edited by scrim; 11/24/14 04:53 AM.
#4040114 - 11/24/14 05:19 AM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
No worries and thanks as I'll add stuff in the guide as I go along of course, to help people out, as I need to learn the system to teach it and to add my experience as well. But yeah I've been virtually flying for a minute but new plane, new rules, etc. So I wasn't shooting TGP but as said, first day with the C actually flying it more now that I'm figuring out the weapons systems (and the HOTAS settings, came in fast on Beslan and took forever to figure out the speedbrake settings) but so far the A for all of its simplicity is still good. And now that I got the NVG mod working, I can do some good low level night flying practice.

#4040152 - 11/24/14 11:03 AM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
roan Offline
roan  Offline

ESSN
Thanks for sharing beercheers

“Wise men speak when they have something to say, fools speak because they have to say something”
#4040212 - 11/24/14 02:16 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: EricJ
BeachAV8R: No problem, but given most pilots have probably done some of this stuff it's a bit redundant for most old hats.

Nah, there is always something more for me to (re)remember or (re)relearn..LOL. Just started flying the Shark again and man, it is taking me a bit to get back up to speed. That's kind of cool about these DCS modules - they are so in depth and real that you suffer from the lack of proficiency just like a real pilot would..

BeachAV8R

#4040324 - 11/24/14 04:25 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
I'll agree to that, when I started re-flying the Su-33 I was coming in a little too fast for my own good so I had to spend some time to do touch and goes to get (and map the wheel brake so I would stop overshooting all the time.

#4040570 - 11/24/14 11:28 PM Re: Practical JTAC manual.... [Re: EricJ]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Okay just came back from a practice flight and managed with some more patience get Mav shots without TGP, so as you implied scrim, a little practice goes a long way, though the truck I was shooting at was in a real good position for me not to see it but interesting enough the Quick Start guide has helped me a lot, though I need to work on long distance shots more than up close ones... As for the guide's sake still trying to figure out how to make some suggestions so once I figure out that I'll include some Maverick gunnery as well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.