Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4040275 - 11/24/14 03:24 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: JFM]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: JFM
Usually he did not stop pursuing/attacking until the other plane hit the ground or either caught on fire
or broke apart. He's written about knowing a plane was incapacitated and yet continuing his attack.

Must be icecold "military logic"; kill the enemy if you can.
Then I wonder why he didn't stab them when they finally had managed to land - then he shook hands with them?
I am glad that there were so many other examples, when German pilots forced their opponents down - alive.
I'd find it good enough to capture them and make them PoWs.

Originally Posted By: JFM
Many people think the Germans were all stiff, stoic, stereotypical Prussian types. I say that's bunk.

"Vott? Don't let yourself get deviated, meine Herren - vee Dsherrmans arr striktly Prussian, stoic ant stiff!
Like you hav seen in "Der Magnificent Men Ant Der Flyink Maschines"!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4040315 - 11/24/14 04:04 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
I suppose the rules of war. As long as an enemy is a threat, he will be fought. If it happens the enemy survives, he is no combatant anymore but a prisoner of war and has to be treated like one, as long as he is not resisting or trying to run away.

Boelcke was about the same. Enemy was disarmed, actually giving up (pilot wounded, observer was waving with his arms, clearly showing they were giving up etc.) but he thought to himself that war is war, and as much as he hated to do it, he still continued the attack until the enemy broke apart and crashed, killing both inmates.

Actually all aces were the same. Mccudden (we are murderers), Mannock, Rhys Davis (e.G. it was clear that Voss was wounded or worse) and still he went after him, strafing downed pilots etc. There are for sure tons of examples that downing the enemy, no matter what, was common. Also one didn't want to get tricked by playing wounded and then running away.

For sure in MvR's case there also a psychological factor. Him being shot at from the ground from the downed observer. Getting wounded although he thought he was in a save distance, or maybe he never actually knew who hit him from where. So as long as an enemy is aloft and somewhat intact (even when gliding one might pull out a pistol), he is a threat to his own life. So to make sure the enemy has to break apart or burn. To many ifs if an enemy lands intact. Will they try to run away, will they shoot at him from the ground, will they shoot at oncoming soldiers. Will they be able to run away and fly the next day...So down him to be sure, job is done.

#4040423 - 11/24/14 07:21 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Creaghorn]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted By: Creaghorn
...Also one didn't want to get tricked by playing wounded and then running away...Will they be able to run away and fly the next day...So down him to be sure, job is done.

I think that's the key, for most. Certainly there were those who killed their enemies out of hatred and rage on both sides. "The only good ____ is a dead ____" (fill in the blank) has been said about all by all. But It's the danger of "He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day" that motivates most of the things like straffing downed or parachuting aircrews.

SALUTE TO ALL!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse