Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4039755 - 11/23/14 01:57 PM Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

For all who hadn't seen this posted over at CombatAce some time ago,
here is again the link to Steven Spielberg's archive and the second
part of the film Anthony Fokker made during a visit at the front.

Anthony Fokker Film

The film shows many German aces "alive", like the Jasta 11 pilots,
Otto Kissenberth and Adolf Tutschek.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4039798 - 11/23/14 03:19 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
On my phone so I haven't seen it yet.
Is this the film Fokker shot after MvR shot down Bird from 46 Squadron?
First week of September 1917?

#4039807 - 11/23/14 03:52 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Olham
For all who hadn't seen this posted over at CombatAce some time ago,
here is again the link to Steven Spielberg's archive and the second
part of the film Anthony Fokker made during a visit at the front.

Anthony Fokker Film

The film shows many German aces "alive", like the Jasta 11 pilots,
Otto Kissenberth and Adolf Tutschek.

Extremely interesting film Olham! Thanks for posting.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4039822 - 11/23/14 04:24 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
On my phone so I haven't seen it yet.
Is this the film Fokker shot after MvR shot down Bird from 46 Squadron?
First week of September 1917?

Yes, I think it is - von Richthofen and Fokker can be seen with a British pilot
and the wreckage of his Sopwith Pup.

#4039830 - 11/23/14 04:51 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

This is a great piece of historical footage and despite seeing it many times I still get something out of watching it. Thanks for sharing Olham.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4039938 - 11/23/14 09:09 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Wow. I have never seen that version of it.
Great find Olham!
It seems to be a mix of different time periods. I see even damn Goering made an appearance. Kissenberth was the Pour le Merite in the glasses correct? I recognize Tutschek. Who was the other shorter Blue Max wearer often in the same shots as Tutschek? I think it's Klein but without a time stamp I can't be sure.

The scene where they are examining the shot down plane is definitely the first week of September 1917 where MvR shot down (or perhaps forced down more correctly) Lt. Bird of 46 Squadron in his Sopwith Pup. They had just got back to France after 6 weeks in England on anti-Gotha duty; Hows that for a 2.0 lead in?

Without getting up for my books I believe it was MvR's 2nd victory in the Triplane and Fokker, not adverse to self publicity, was there for some film. During the examination of the Pups engine and in another scene you will see that Fokker is wearing Birds flying gear!

Great film.

EDIT: Doh. If I would have read the web page it is a mix of different time periods.

#4039940 - 11/23/14 09:14 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Actually don't know who the short PLM owner is.
Yes, Kissenberth is the one with the glasses.

#4039948 - 11/23/14 09:33 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Did a little more reading on the page. There is even a minute by minute synopsis of the film.

The shorter gentlemen is Klein but it says the one in the glasses is "Bernert" and gives quite a little history on him. Does look more like Kissenberth to me.

Read the film notes section. Lots of history there.

Oh, and did you see the Dr.1 take-off? Looks like it was airborne in about 70 feet!

#4039952 - 11/23/14 09:42 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Damn, you're right - Bernert looks much the same! Or maybe it's only the glasses ? ...
(Very unusual for pilots - and unthinkable today.)

#4039960 - 11/23/14 09:49 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Yep. That be him.

This is one of the things I love about this time period and genre - the amount of information that is available if you now where to look - or who to ask!
Could probably find his shoe size somewhere.

And this in spite of the massive loss of German WW1 records in WW2.

#4039962 - 11/23/14 09:54 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front

And a photo of Kissenberth's Camel he was famous for.

EDIT: Hmmm...it would appear my first ever attempt to post a pho to was a failure.

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 11/23/14 10:00 PM.
#4039967 - 11/23/14 10:02 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Try it again, Duke - you can edit the post.
You need to select "Add file", and then you must also select "Lightbox" or "Traditional".
The picture should best be a JPEG, and not too big.

#4039977 - 11/23/14 10:14 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front

Finally...I think.

EDIT: Success!

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 11/23/14 10:34 PM.
#4040046 - 11/24/14 01:50 AM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Regarding Bird, no question he was shot down. His Pup was hit "times without number." Richthofen shot up his fuel tank and engine, as well as his struts, instrument panel, clothing, and Bird himself, wounding him under his right arm. Bird's son sent me a copy of his father's account of the fight and I also have a copy of his handwritten account that I got from RAF Museum. Interesting to me, Bird wrote that he saw Richthofen coming but mistook the Fokker F.I for a Sopwith Triplane and didn't realize the danger until the bullets started hitting.

#4040108 - 11/24/14 04:58 AM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
An interesting discussion in regards to Lt.Bird

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#4040143 - 11/24/14 09:26 AM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: JFM]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: JFM
Regarding Bird, no question he was shot down. His Pup was hit "times without number." Richthofen shot up his fuel tank and engine, as well as his struts, instrument panel, clothing, and Bird himself, wounding him under his right arm. Bird's son sent me a copy of his father's account of the fight and I also have a copy of his handwritten account that I got from RAF Museum. Interesting to me, Bird wrote that he saw Richthofen coming but mistook the Fokker F.I for a Sopwith Triplane and didn't realize the danger until the bullets started hitting.

Well I didn't mean to imply he just surrendered just that he didn't come crashing down from 10,000 feet.

And you, as a historian, are a good one to ask about this.
And this is not meant to disparage Lt. Bird or question his bravery. It just reminds me of something I have noticed or perhaps felt is a better word in reading combat reports of people who have been shot down.

Do you find that you sometimes have to take survivor accounts of their shoot downs with a grain of salt?

EDIT: Thanks for the link Smosh.
EDIT #2: And I would like to place a bet on the game this weekend JFM but I am afraid it would be a losing proposition for me!

#4040149 - 11/24/14 10:30 AM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Good footage... I don't often play as the hun chappies, but in the film they look like a happy carefree bunch of fellows it has to be said smile

#4040181 - 11/24/14 01:06 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Trooper117]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Originally Posted By: Trooper117
Good footage... I don't often play as the hun chappies, but in the film they look like a happy carefree bunch of fellows it has to be said smile

Never forget though that they were being filmed.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4040246 - 11/24/14 02:53 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: Olham]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Sure, Duke, I think a combat report is part of the equation. These guys were in life and death situations where things happened very quickly, and the fog of war is definitely present. So I like to get as much info from both sides if possible and then compare them to see what matches and what doesn't. Another interesting thing about Bird's account is he talked about being fired on all the way down to the ground, long after his engine stopped. This is typical of MvR. Usually he did not stop pursuing/attacking until the other plane hit the ground or either caught on fire or broke apart. He's written about knowing a plane was incapacitated and yet continuing his attack.

Regarding carefree fellows. Many people think the Germans were all stiff, stoic, stereotypical Prussian types. I say that's bunk. Certainly those types existed, but they existed in all armies, then and now. Yes, they were being filmed, but these guys were mostly just kids. They didn't just stand around rigidly and scowl all the time. I have scores of photos of German pilots goofing off, kidding around, laughing, etc. People sometimes assign grand reasons for why a pilot painted his Albatros this way or that--"an iron Prussian will and heart of steel!" or some such nonsense--and often it's as simple as a guy's favorite football team colors or the color of his favorite candy. "Regular guy" kind of reasons. But this can get lost in stereotypes.

As far as betting on when 2.0 will be released, maybe I should bet it won't be released this week. This because I'm the world's WORST gambler. I'm guaranteed to lose. smile

#4040266 - 11/24/14 03:14 PM Re: Richthofen alive - German Pilots in a Film by Anthony Fokker [Re: JFM]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Originally Posted By: JFM
Regarding carefree fellows. Many people think the Germans were all stiff, stoic, stereotypical Prussian types.

You mean like this guy? biggrin

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM