Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4039917 - 11/23/14 08:23 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

I will gladly use that skin!, waiting for it.

#4039921 - 11/23/14 08:33 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
Did anyone notice the plane with the British markings is Thomas Morse Scout and not a Camel?

Beard

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4039922 - 11/23/14 08:33 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: JimBobb
Tell that to the Great Waldo Pepper biggrin Just look at that dashing scarf biggrin

Well, it may interest you, that our intelligence found out, that this man is not a fighter pilot,
but an actor. His real name is Robert Redford (or maybe even that is a fake, cause it sounds good?).
In this movie, this man is pretending he could fly even better than Ernst Udet - which is nothing
but Hollywood-style bragging. These actors often can be glad, when they are able to eat spaghetti
without getting ketchup on their suede shoes. biggrin

[I confess, I actually like Redford and most of his films (never seen the "Great Waldo Pepper" though yet.]

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4039954 - 11/23/14 09:43 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: JimBobb
I will gladly use that skin!, waiting for it.

It may be quite a wait my friend! My skinning skills are weak at best.

And yes BB - the one on the lower left does look like a Camel but, as you say, the photo is quite grainy.

#4040051 - 11/24/14 02:00 AM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Waldo Pepper is THE PROBLEM. I've blamed that movie for years for a lot of the popular myths.

#4040430 - 11/24/14 07:32 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

I don't know that "Waldo Pepper" should be blamed for creating the myths. I'm sure most of them started while the war was still being fought...propaganda, you knnow. You'd undoubtedly be correct in assigning it at least partial, if not primary, responsibility for introducing another generation to them, however.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4040434 - 11/24/14 07:39 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
I do know. I've been fighting them for decades because of that movie. It didn't invent the silk scarf myths, obviously--that was largely 1920s barnstorming--but that movie really brought it to the masses.

#4040471 - 11/24/14 08:46 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Ok, then. Waldo Pepper created all the inaccurate legends of WWI aviation except the silk scarf. None existed before that movie.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4041489 - 11/26/14 01:17 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
vonBaur, let's please keep our discussion on an intellectual level and not degrade into further sarcasm. I don't mind if you disagree with what I wrote, but you should disagree with what I actually DID write.

If you re-read my posts, (you should see) I neither claimed nor insinuated that movie "created" the myths and that none existed before it. You just mistakenly think I did. My original point, which you missed, is that based on nearly four decades of personal observation, Waldo Pepper greatly influenced/influences the way people think about WW1, so much so that it has been a real problem as regards historical accuracy. More so than even The Blue Max. This thread is proof. Do you see any mention of barnstorming in here, besides mine--or the movie Waldo Pepper? The movie continuously rears its ugly head.

1920s barnstorming is over. Its misinformation is not a current problem, although perhaps a low-rent version does live on via various airshows. But Waldo Pepper is still around and still on TV--and now DVD. It still actively seeds misinformation, although I concede its impact has lessened due to there being hundreds of television channels these days, rather than three.

Last edited by JFM; 11/26/14 01:31 PM. Reason: Changed "their" to "there" in the last sentence.
#4041551 - 11/26/14 02:54 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Well, movies hardly ever represented the historical truth too well - such film are yet to be made.
These movie, the scarfs and all the misbeliefs and myths will remain for a long time,
and maybe only slowly corrected out by more accurate movies, and by the many accurately
researched books we have now available.
I guess when "The Great Waldo Pepper" was made, they didn't have that much info easily
available, and then Hollywood never even cared much in those days, if it was.

A good example is the film "Von Richthofen & Brown" - that whole film is one big mistake;
hardly anything fits with history there.
When you see the close-up of von Richthofen firing, then you can see his guns don't even
have feed-belts! The "Red Baron" may have been a great fighter pilot, but a wizzard?

What's REALLY annoying are the inaccuracies in the more modern films "Flyboys" and "Der rote Baron".
Both show a whole lot of good-looking, well-made stuff and scenes, and one can see that they did
SOME research at least.
But why, oh why, did they not take the chance and ask some of the WW1 historians for advice,
to get it even much better? I guess those chaps wouldn't even charge too much, if they could
only make sure that everything is shown historically correct.

#4041556 - 11/26/14 03:03 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Watch BBC's Wings. The most accurate film/show/series I've seen so far. Not necessarily from the effects etc. but from the troubles, sounds, engines, problems, dirty faces, piloting, landings etc.
Second to that IMO Aces High.

#4041561 - 11/26/14 03:09 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

It's not only the niche field of WW1 aviation knowledge that suffers from the misinformation spread by movies. There are very few historical movies in existence whose content would pass an examination by a professional historian.

It's not a problem if you don't know the facts. But the more you know, the more you become annoyed by the mistakes of the film makers, intentional or not.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4041566 - 11/26/14 03:14 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Yes to Wings... I've had the series 1 and 2 for years and always enjoyable smile

#4041607 - 11/26/14 04:07 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: Hasse]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Hasse
It's not a problem if you don't know the facts. But the more you know, the more you become annoyed
by the mistakes of the film makers, intentional or not.

Good point, Hasse! How blessed was I, when I didn't know any better -
in the early seventies I found "Richthofen and Brown" amazing!
Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

#4041999 - 11/27/14 03:42 AM Re: Something is missing [Re: JFM]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted By: JFM
Waldo Pepper is THE PROBLEM. I've blamed that movie for years for a lot of the popular myths.

That's what you "actually DID write."

Breakdown:
"Waldo Pepper is THE PROBLEM."
"The" being a definitive article, indicating only one and not one among many or even chief among many and lacking any clarifier (THE MAIN PROBLEM) shows that you hold it solely responsible. Not much room for interpretation there.

"I've blamed that movie for years for a lot of the popular myths."
How can that be taken any way other than...well, you blame the myths on the movie? You didn't say perpetuating the myths or bringing them to the masses. You said you blame the myths on the movie. When I suggested that it simply exposed a new generation to those misconceptions you became hostile/defensive. I believe there are only two ways to deal with that kind of unreasoning behavior...silence or sarcasm. I chose not to remain silent.

1920's barnstorming is indeed over. It was ended largely by government regulation, but also by a newer breed of pilot. One who'd never had the pressure of having someone shooting at him while he was trying to keep his machine in the air and, therefore, for whom the act of flying was thrill enough. Aviators "grew up". And grew cautious. There were other reasons too, I'm sure. But those were likely the biggest.

The movie is a sore spot for you, obviously, though I'm not entirely sure why. Don't get me wrong, I understand your irritation as a WWI aviation enthusiast and historian at what you see as a gross misrepresentation of that subject. But maybe you should watch it again. I admit that I haven't seen it in its entirety (and not many snippets, for that matter) since it first came out that forty-some years ago. But as I recall, not one scene took place in the Great War. In fact, the entire movie was set in the United States well after the war was over. And the star...the great Waldo Pepper, himself...was too young, it turned out, to have served. He was a conman in a cockpit. A liar. Making up whatever lie he felt could get him a few dollars, a free dinner or the temporary affection of a beautiful girl. The next time someone cites crap from that film as "this is what it was like to fly in WWI" you might want to lead with that little tidbit.

As for Hollywood and historical accuracy...well, most people worth worrying about know that fire and water mix better than those two. "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" started with the words "Most of what follows is true". From other things I've since read maybe five or six situations depicted are based on actual, reasonably verifiable facts. To use Tinsel-Town's standards, they could have put the "Based on actual facts" label on "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter". After all, there was a President of the United States named Abraham Lincoln. Just watch the movies, or don't, and enjoy the show. Personally, I was surprised at some of the things "Flyboys" got right. Like Whiskey, although he was older than the real Whiskey. Soda was probably cut from the film because the director figured nobody would buy it, even though it's true. And when the commander read the letter at Cassidy's funeral I nearly fell out of my seat.

Now if you want a good movie about the Lafeyette Escadrille I recommend the 1958 film of that title. Not significantly better, historically, but at least they used the names of the actual pilots. There was also this tall actor in one of his early bit roles. Some guy by the name of Eastwood. Maybe you've heard of him. And the Chinese guy was a riot..."Wake up, American bums. Oh, say can you see, by dawn early light?" Oh, and no CGI planes.

And with that I will choose, on the subject of Waldo Pepper in this context, silence.

**edited for spelling...specifically for a missing "n" in the word "And" (stupid new keyboard's stiff keys}**

Last edited by vonBaur; 11/27/14 03:45 AM.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4042101 - 11/27/14 12:16 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: Olham]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Olham

Good point, Hasse! How blessed was I, when I didn't know any better -
in the early seventies I found "Richthofen and Brown" amazing!
Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

Saw that all the way through for the first time a couple of years ago online.
Wow. It was almost painful to watch. Quite cringe worthy.
For any Devildogs out there it was like watching "Heartbreak Ridge". Ouch!

#4042152 - 11/27/14 02:30 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Hi, vonBaur,

I'm well aware of what I wrote—most of which you’ve ignored—and in posts #4040434 and #4041489 I further explained what I meant. For instance, I wrote: "It [Waldo Pepper] didn't invent the silk scarf myths, obviously--that was largely 1920s barnstorming--but that movie really brought it to the masses." Did you miss that point, or just ignore it? It has to be one or the other because your reply to that post was, "Ok, then. Waldo Pepper created all the inaccurate legends of WWI aviation except the silk scarf. None existed before that movie." Seems to me we agree that Waldo Pepper didn't create myths and what you are really doing is nitpicking the semantics of part of my original post #4040051.

JM: "I've blamed that movie for years for a lot of the popular myths."
VB: "How can that be taken any way other than...well, you blame the myths on the movie?"

Again, did you miss "a lot" or just ignore it? Again, it has to be one or the other.

"A lot" does not mean "all." You didn’t type “all” but you must have meant “all” when you typed “the myths” because, using your yardstick in your last post #4041999, the "the" in “the myths” is a definitive article, indicating all and not one among many or even chief among many and lacking any clarifier (e.g., “a lot of the myths,” similar to what I’ve typed all along) shows that you erroneously believe or are intentionally misrepresenting that I believe Waldo Pepper created “all” myths. Not much room for interpretation there. Other than you are wrong, because I neither said nor implied “all,” ever. That is your invention, and you are taking me to task for your invention. Regardless, yes, as I already stated, I blame that movie for a lot of the popular myths, silk scarves being among them. Waldo Pepper didn't invent that myth but certainly introduced it to many with whom I have interacted. This based on decades of personal observation. The only way you can debate this personal observation is to call me a liar.

When I posted here initially "I've blamed that movie for years for a lot of the popular myths," I gave people credit that they would understand what I wrote and not parse it into "Waldo Pepper created all the inaccurate legends of WWI aviation except the silk scarf. None existed before that movie." You turned "a lot" into "all" and insinuated I believe the move was the genesis of “all inaccurate legends” and then took me to task for your misquoting. Do you have the character and class to admit you inflated what I wrote and are now just quibbling?

Still, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, to help you and possibly a few others understand the point of what I meant—although it seems as if everyone else already does—I'll modify the first sentence of my initial post from "Waldo Pepper is THE PROBLEM" into "Waldo Pepper is ONE OF THE BIGGEST PROBLEMS." I've already explained this a few times above but hopefully this modification it will help you understand that I don't think Waldo Pepper "created all" the WW1 myths but that I do think it popularized/propagated some of them. Furthermore, I don't think Waldo Pepper "created all" the WW1 myths but I do think it popularized/propagated some of them, and although while Waldo Pepper popularized/propagated some of the WW1 myths I don't think it "created all" of them, even though it did popularize/propagate some of them without creating all of them.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jim

#4042181 - 11/27/14 03:38 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

And also in the spirit of the holiday I will re-enter this enough to say that I wholeheartedly agree with your statement as revised. And I will admit that my use of the "all...except the silk scarf" remark was over the top (although that is a hallmark of sarcasm).

Hopefully now we can end this with a virtual handshake?

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4042657 - 11/28/14 02:57 PM Re: Something is missing [Re: JimBobb]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Indeed! I accept your virtual handshake and offer one in return.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM