Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
#3995791 - 08/15/14 03:58 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
biggrin Hopefully I'll have a turn for you guys by the end of this week.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4001431 - 08/27/14 04:28 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
So, I heard you guys wanted an update. biggrin

As expected, my one remaining Panzer IV gave up the ghost this turn. It could never get a shot off at the 2 Shermans to its rear, and it finally died near the turn's end when another(!) 2 Shermans showed up to its front and put it out of business:

My one remaining Panther made it into position but did not spot any tanks. Towards turn's end I noticed Rambler was sending more infantry down the road:

Over in the woods on my right, 5th Company lost three men to unspotted machine gun and SMG fire, including this man (in the first two shots) who was rendering buddy aid when he fell. Up ahead of them, a two-man machine gun team also met its end:

Next turn orders:

The Panther will continue to hunt forward a bit, which I also need it to do so that it doesn't get taken out from behind. I forgot to take a screenshot, but I'm moving up two Panzerschreck and one Panzerfaust team to deal with the 2 Shermans that took out my Panzer IV.

5th Company will stay put in the woods for now. 6th Company is still on the move, so no new moves for them.

Finally, 5 minutes before my artillery barrage falls on the the AT gun that is happily banging away at my gunless Panther, which is fine by me:

Hopefully my Panzerjager are up to the job.

#4007225 - 09/09/14 01:33 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

twoweeks popcorn

#4007226 - 09/09/14 01:42 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: WhoCares]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Call the Korps Schwere Panzer Bn...Schnell!

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4008488 - 09/11/14 09:54 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Busy with a lot of stuff right now. smile Hopefully action will be resuming soon.

#4011853 - 09/19/14 04:25 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
postcount

Actually trying to get it to a new page so we can skip loading a zillion pics we've seen.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4012374 - 09/20/14 11:46 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
I heard you guys wanted an update. biggrin Okay, here we go...

My one remaining Panther made it into position and picked up a Sherman with its flank exposed. My tank fired and...hit a tree. However, the second hit was on the mark and went right through the tank. Only one crewman was seen to bail out. The only return fire from the Sherman during this engagement was some machine gun fire.

Behind the Panther, my antitank teams encountered the two Shermans and infantry. They weren't spotted, but they also didn't take any shots, as they hadn't spotted the Shermans by turn's end. Meanwhile, on the other side of the forest, the infantry Rambler sent up last turn didn't move at all this turn.

Over on the right flank, 1st Platoon 10th Company encountered one of Rambler's two-man scout teams and dispatched them with ease. Rambler also moved up a Sherman into the middle of the field to the left, but it didn't fire on anything:

Nothing much happened in the woods with 5th Company, other than one man who fell to a rifle shot with about 5 seconds left on the clock.

Next turn orders:

The Panther will turn around yet again and deal with the threat from the two Shermans in the woodline:

1st Platoon 9th Company and 1st Platoon 10th Company will move up into the wheat fields, putting them in the trail of 6th Company, the latter of whom is still moving up into the woods:

Finally, my 10th Company HQ section, tucked away in a far corner of the map, has line-of-sight on the infantry and two Shermans up in the woodline, so they are going to call in an 81 mm mortar strike on the position. Time until barrage is about 5 minutes:

#4013236 - 09/23/14 02:57 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Well, fortune certainly was with me this turn. cool

My Panther had to make a wide turn to reverse course, which took it into the forest. Since this area of trees is fairly thin, it spotted a Sherman, which in turn also spotted the Panther. The Sherman fired first, but its shot hit the trees in front of the Panther. SS-Panzeroberschütze Teichert slewed his turret, aimed, and put a round right through the Sherman's hull, knocking out its engine. The Panther continued on its merry way, and by turn's end it had spotted one of the Shermans (the one on the road in the fourth screenshot) harassing my infantry. biggrin This same Sherman took a shot at the Panther, but the round bounced harmlessly off the hull. With 1 second left on the clock Teichert began to line up his shot...

If he keeps this up he's going to earn himself a Knight's Cross.

Over on the right, the Sherman in the field found and eliminated my artillery spotters, so that fire mission on the AT gun will be scrubbed. Meanwhile, 1st Platoon 10th Company blundered nearly into the line of fire of the same Sherman, because what I thought was a gap in the bocage turned out to not be one (bocage isn't rendered all that great in CMBN, in my opinion). I'll get that taken care of. Over in the woods, the only action was SS-Unterscharführer Ulrich in 1st Platoon 5th Company taking out a pistol-armed soldier in the bushes to his front:

Next turn orders:

6th Company has made it into the woods, but they are tired and will need about 5 minutes to rest before I send them out again. Meanwhile, 5th Company will straighten out its perimeter a bit and tend to its wounded. 1st Platoon 10th Company will be headed in the right direction - albeit the long way - so it can join up with 6th Company:

#4021977 - 10/14/14 12:13 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Oh c'mon already. You're killin' us.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4022002 - 10/14/14 01:51 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
As requested. biggrin

As I expected, the Panther took out the Sherman directly to its front. It also fired on some nearby infantry, causing them to flee a short time later. However, another Sherman came around from behind and landed a shot that killed the driver. Meanwhile, another shot from another Sherman did serious damage to the wheels. At turn's end the Panther was still alive, but time is likely running out for it:

Meanwhile, one of my nearby HMG teams opened fire on an 81 mm mortar that's been causing problems. By turn's end two crewmen were seen to fall:

On the right flank, the only action was two of my men falling to a 75 mm shell from a Sherman that caught them doing an about-face due to my earlier misreading of the terrain. Otherwise, nothing much happened over here:

Next turn orders:

My Panther will pop smoke and attempt to return fire on the Sherman that is threatening it from the rear. Meanwhile, one of my infantry teams will also pop smoke to hopefully buy time for the Panther:

#4024294 - 10/19/14 12:05 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
My big cat still has a few lives left in it... smile

As my Panther turns to face the nearest Sherman threat, it pops a couple of smoke canisters out through the turret, while nearby infantry also pop a couple of smoke grenades. As it was moving into its new position the Sherman took a shot or two at it, but all of the rounds were stopped by an intervening tree. The Panther meanwhile locked the Sherman into its sights and put a round through its turret. A second shot from the Sherman went high, but a few moments later the Sherman crew survivors baled out.

A Panzerschreck tank hunter I had sent to deal with one of the Shermans at the opposite end of the road instead bumped into a pair of infantry. So, he broke out his pistol and took out one of them before succumbing to a hand grenade. Who says a pistol can't beat an SMG? biggrin

The 81 mm mortar continued to harassed by my MG42, and by turn's end the crew was in disarray and the mortar no longer deployed:

Nothing much happened on the right flank, save for my 9th & 10th Company elements making it to their rally point. Most of them will need a few minutes to catch their breath before moving on:

Next turn orders:

Most everyone will stay in place this turn. The Panther will meanwhile area fire on the location of a sniper team:

#4025911 - 10/23/14 01:19 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Alas, all good things must come to an end... frown

After putting another round through the Sherman for good effect and shooting up the position of the sniper, the Panther fell to a lone grenade from a rifleman who snuck up unspotted through the forest. Of the three surviving crewmen who bailed out, only the radio operator was able to run away without being shot.

Meanwhile, one of the nearby Shermans backed off into the forest, so that's good news for me.

On the adjoining road, my infantry spotted some troops moving through the woods. After missing with a Panzerfaust(!), my men took at least one man down by more conventional means by turn's end.

In the woods on the right, my Panzerschreck operator from 5th Company spotted a lone man ahead in the woods. After missing with an initial grenade and one rifle shot, the enemy tried to run away, but he was subsequently taken out by a second grenade while on the run.

Next turn orders:

5th Company will move forward to expand the perimeter, while 6th Company, led by 3rd Platoon, will start to move up behind them. The plan is to have 6th Company move through 5th Company's position and attack the objective.

It turns out there really are no gaps in the hedgerows here in order to move my 9th/10th Company task force over, so instead of wasting my time with them I'm going to give them a new objective: re-take the Knoll objective. It's a bit of a longshot, but with about a company's worth of men it may just be doable.

Rambler has a gaggle of infantry back on the left flank that my 9th Company HQ section has an eye on, so I'm going to have them call in a 120 mm mortar strike. If nothing else, I'll chase them off once the spotting rounds start falling.

With the loss of my last viable tank, my men on the left are going to have to burrow themselves inside the woods. This will include 10th Platoon's Weapons Company and my men strung out along the road:

#4025921 - 10/23/14 01:39 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
A grenade ? A Panther ? Wow, I wouldn't have expected that.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4025925 - 10/23/14 01:45 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: oldgrognard]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
A grenade ? A Panther ? Wow, I wouldn't have expected that.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't explicitly model anti-tank grenades, so the result is that any old hand grenade can potentially be used as an AT grenade. Sucks, but that's the way things are programmed.

#4026302 - 10/23/14 10:29 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Do you have to use spotting rounds for the mortars? Can't you just fire without giving the enemy a heads up that it's coming?

Last edited by Smosh; 10/23/14 10:30 PM.

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#4028730 - 10/29/14 07:17 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: Smosh]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Smosh
Do you have to use spotting rounds for the mortars? Can't you just fire without giving the enemy a heads up that it's coming?

Yes, the standard is that you have to use spotting rounds for mortar strikes. However, there are two ways in the game that one can skip the spotting round process:

-Use what's called "Emergency" fire mode. This will take the strike mission straight to Fire for Effect, but the chance the mission is wildly inaccurate will be high, since obviously no corrections will have been made beforehand. Using this sort of mission is really only for very rare instances, as a result.
-Fire on what's called Target Reference Points (TRPs). These spots on the map represent areas where the mortar crew has already made the calculations needed to hit that spot on the map, so no spotting rounds are needed. With this sort of setup, rounds will usually start landing on target within about 2 minutes of the fire support request. However, not all missions have TRPs (such as this one), and typically those that do give the player no more than about 3 or 4. The other advantage for TRPs is that the unit calling in the mission doesn't have to have line-of-sight to the target, so the player can keep him out of harm's way.

#4033346 - 11/08/14 02:41 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Instead of being able to make a break for it, my two HMG teams got caught in the crossfire of a Sherman and nearby enemy infantry. Miraculously, I lost only one man to enemy fire, and as a result of them not really moving this turn, they were able to direct some enfilading fire onto troops advancing in the forest:

Farther over, Rambler's moving more enemy troops right into the line of fire of my planned mortar strike:

And that was about it for this turn. Over on the right, the only action was my Panzerschreck operator taking a potshot at a fleeing man, and one man falling to a light mortar round.

Next turn orders:

The above-mentioned HMG teams will try again to escape into the woods. Meanwhile, my nearby infantry will burrow deeper into the woods:

My 5th Company forward observer is going to call in a 120 mm mortar strike on the axis of Rambler's advance. Gotta try to stop him any way I can, so I gotta give this a shot:

On the right, my task force will continue to zigzag their way towards the Knoll objective:

#4033726 - 11/09/14 04:19 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
In a major screw up, my two HMG teams came under fire from my own 81 mm mortar barrage. This has cost me one of the teams and one man from the other team. I've called a cease-fire on the fire mission, but there are probably still rounds in the air, so more grief may come this team's way:

Over to their left, Rambler made a push with a couple of squads that took out a couple of my men and spooked the rest. Grenades and bullets were flying everywhere this turn. In a sign that Rambler's infantry isn't in great shape, one of his men held up his hands in surrender, but a moment later he may have been taken out. That tends to happen if his comrades are still in the fight. Right near turn's end, my 5th Company forward observer that's been pressed into an infantry role took out a SMG trooper behind a tree:

Nothing of note happened on the right flank.

Next turn orders:

Nothing really new for my overtaxed forces on the left flank, other than to hang on as best they can, because no relief is coming their way. On the right flank, 3rd & 1st platoons of 6th Company will begin to fan out to the right of 5th Company as they make their way towards the objective. 2nd Platoon will trail them:

#4035706 - 11/14/14 03:18 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
My HMG team did make it out from under the friendly fire, but it lost one more man in the process. For now, though, they are safe in the cover of the woods:

Under pressure from infantry and Sherman shellfire, one my squads on the left flank was wiped out. Their comrades farther to the right fared better and knocked down at least one of the enemy, but they will need to move farther into the forest if they want to survive:

On the right flank, 6th Company bumped into the remnants of a Vickers MG team whose machine gun I knocked out earlier in the battle. These two did take out one of my men, but after a brief volley of fire and hand grenades they were both disposed of:

Next turn orders:

Not much to change, except to continue advancing 6th Company on the right, my task force towards the Knoll objective, and to move my beleaguered infantry on the left farther into the forest:

#4036800 - 11/16/14 10:21 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Not much to report this next turn in the form of screenshots. My men on the left flank continue to be harassed by unseen Bren machine guns, but for the moment they are holding on. Nothing of note happened on the right flank.

Next turn orders:

3rd Platoon, 6th Company will fan out to the right of the forest clearing, while 2nd Platoon will advance to the left:

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.