Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4032102 - 11/05/14 03:53 PM Xbox ONE 1 year later....  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida

Major Nelson has some good info about the Xbox ONE's first year... PS4 is still leading in sales, and in general is reported to be the better, more powerful next-gen console... but a recent price drop and the mandatory Kinetc drop may give the ONE a much needed shot... or not.

http://majornelson.com/2014/11/05/hundre...linkId=10367866

My experience, I remember when it was first announced, I even had the day 1 system pre-ordered... after M$ disrespected gamers at and following that E3 reveal, I cancelled the pre-order... Microsoft IMO really dropped the ball leading up to the release on the ONE.

So the Xbox ONE is released, I, like most don't care at the time, but eventually I started to want one... 6 months later, right after they started selling Xbox One's without the Kinetc, I ordered one... got it, got my 2 favorite games for the console, Battlefield 4, which I already had for PC, and Forza Motorsports, it was cool but not great... no proper wheel support for the ONE really killed FM5 for me...and still waiting for that to be addressed. I also realized how much the Kinetc was needed and pretty cool with the voice commands and all, so went out and bought one even after all my #%&*$# about it.

Well it never really worked right, and still don't... it turns off and on on it's own so it's a gamble if it was going to work. I wanted it more for the voice commands and TV controls. I had it all hooked up on my living room big screen, but since the Kinetc was so unreliable my wife asked me to get rid of it because she didn't understand how to control it, or what to do when it didn't work... she just wanted to watch TV... so instead of making it easier, it was a pain. I have now since disconnected the Kinetc, it's in the closet and moved my Xbox ONE to my Desktop computer TV, switching between both as needed.

I'm still disappointed in the games, waiting for something from M#... maybe a remake of the GoW series or something... I have BF4 and now CoD Advance Warfare for the MP, (which has always been easier with console compared to PC.) Also have FM5 and FH2... both without wheel support still. Most everything else also comes out on PC, so since I have such a powerful PC and it's all hooked to the same HDTV, I go with PC before ONE... so more games and features need to come to the Xbox ONE IMO.

Also, I know it's not really important but the great resolution debate... the Xbox 360, most games were 720 or 900 p... so true NEXT GEN would and should be 1080p PERIOD. sure it may not really matter to the eye, but how can you call a console next gen without increasing resolution and framerate... again IMO.

The Xbox ONE has had a lot of improvements and updates... but it's still not what I expected a Next Gen console to be...

What I really would like to see is:

1) An improved UI, the current is pretty confusing and ugly compared to the 360.

2) Better resolutions and framerates.

3) A less confusing friends list and chat, party, and game join mode... it's so hard to fiend and join a friend in a party or in a game, confusing interface.

4) Love the ability to capture footage of gameplay, but why not a screenshot capture ability.

5) And finally more games, and proper wheel support.

ALL IMO... so what's yours on the one year anniversary of the Xbox ONE?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4032176 - 11/05/14 06:12 PM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
Meurig Offline
Old Fart
Meurig  Offline
Old Fart

Cardiff, UK
Mag,
I am going to chime in on this one and also give my thoughts on PS4 as a day 1 console owner.

I was, like you a confirmed Microsoft man in the 360 days. 4 red rings (over multiple years) and paying for Live never put me off. The ease of finding and joining friends in games, brilliant in built chat and better versions (IMO) of cross platform games had me rooting for Xbox One.

Then came the reveal... Kinect, even if you didn't want it, always on internet, sold as an "entertainment" box and not a gaming box and the final nail in the coffin.. non tradeable games. Thanks, but no thanks.. Ball well and truly dropped.

So, PS4 it was for me.. and initially all was well. For me, they had the edge in launch games and with the humdinger of a launch press conference at E3 they had me throwing money at them.

1 year on... hmmm.. Not a lot of new games for PS4 and laurels being rested on, still thinking their launch program will drag them through against Microsoft.

I would now say that, resolution and graphical fidelity apart (and the difference isn't that great) I think both consoles are at about the same place. Prices are comparable, features are comparable but crucially, Xbox One is starting to get the edge on exclusive games. I have just bought Sunset Overdrive.. I intend to get Dead Rising 3 (never got it when I got my Xbox One) and racing game wise, Forza Horizons 2 is my racing game of choice (PS4 Driveclub is not great)

PS4 needs to start hitting the fast forward on better exclusives or I will be spending more and more time with my Xbox One. As Magnum says though, still a lot to do.. especially on that god awful, confusing mess of a UI.. How I hate it next to the simplicity of the PS4 interface.

Xbox Gamertag: Myrig
PSN ID: Meurig
Steam ID: Meurig
iRacing name: Marcus Meyrick
#4032187 - 11/05/14 06:48 PM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I am very glad I didnt buy either system. No one I know in person is happy they bought either one.

There are some exclusives I wish for every day on the PC, forza being the main one. If that ever came to the PC I dont think I would ever long for a console again. Though I do use a xbox one controller on the PC for certain games.

#4032254 - 11/05/14 08:54 PM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Neither have been particularly impressive so far. I did buy a One and I certainly enjoy it but it wasn't a huge must-buy like the 360 was.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4032308 - 11/05/14 10:32 PM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
agreed Peally... matter of fact almost everything I can buy for the ONE is also on PC...and better.

and the multi-media aspect was a bust for me... since I lost my man cave, and the Kinetc doesn't work well if at all sometimes.

#4032383 - 11/06/14 01:32 AM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I love my PS4, design, features and controller. I'm disappointed however in the lack of titles. Like others have mentioned it feels as though they were pushing release sales by promising a decent library out the gate only to have a disheartening amount of delays in games one after another.

That being said, I for one reeeally enjoyed Ground Zeroes and can't wait for Phantom Pain. Shadow of Mordor was also worth the wait. A very good game. Wolfenstein is a good FPS hybrid and one of the first PS4 games along with GZ that truly appeared as console games with one foot in the next generation experience. Alien Isolation looks great on a big screen tv. AC Black Flag was a nice, cleaner upgrade from the PS3 version but as AC games go, still not truly next gen and as a AC game itself, the hand to hand combat went ten steps back. Horrible decision someone made there. However,

AC Unity comes out next week. Can't wait! Not long after will be Dragon Age which I also am very excited about. Decided to go PS4 to add to the library, enjoy it on a bigger screen and have one less game to have to play through Origin which hasn't treated me as well as Steam has.

Then there's The Order:1886 coming out early next year along with one of my other most anticipated games Witcher 3.

I'm glad I have it. After the fact though I certainly could have waited another half year to get it and wouldn't hesitate others doing so if deciding whether or not to get one.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4032863 - 11/07/14 12:38 AM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: Magnum

Well it never really worked right, and still don't... it turns off and on on it's own so it's a gamble if it was going to work. I wanted it more for the voice commands and TV controls. I had it all hooked up on my living room big screen, but since the Kinetc was so unreliable my wife asked me to get rid of it because she didn't understand how to control it, or what to do when it didn't work... she just wanted to watch TV... so instead of making it easier, it was a pain. I have now since disconnected the Kinetc, it's in the closet and moved my Xbox ONE to my Desktop computer TV, switching between both as needed.

I had this problem with my 360 Slim/360E models, problem is the touch sensor controller chip isnt shielded from static or anything,
My unit randomly turned on and off all day long, so I started to unplug it, but it would still randomly shut off when playing.

Finally was getting ready to take it back and GameStop said since it was bought during a promo I would lose out on some money, that I didnt have at the time.

So I took the front panel off, hopeing to just dis-connect the touch sensors for power/tray open and use the remote to power on and open the tray, even after the front panel ribbon was disconnected, problem continued. then I randomly touched the controller chip (not the leads, the chip itself, barely, like grazed it, and the unit kicked on and off randomly, finally left the unit on with the front face plate off and noticed that a bug had been walking across the chip (spider had made itself cozy in the USB Door area.

Reported it to MS, but I doubt they did anything about it, I just put some hot glue over the entire chip to seal it off completely and the issue went away.

As for One itself, outside of Testing, I haven't had time to use it for entertainment/leisure.

There are some things coming for Xbox One that will help it greatly, but cant comment on it yet.

Both Systems are Meh w/ Games right now. if I owned one outside of testing, I'd only be playing ForzaHorizonII, simply cuz it was more enjoyable with a controller, and FM5 I wont touch without a wheel, and TBH, Fanatec's next wheel will likely be tuned for FM6 anyway.

The Games for Gold XBO games selection are Meh.

My Launch 360 and it's Slim and E-Model brother's are still doing great, might pick up 2 more copies of FM4 to run 3 screen networked cockpit.

Since I dont have any inside scoop/insight on PS4 I cant speculate on what's coming for them.

Xbox One being $50 Cheaper than PS4 + HALO M.S.C. Alone will prolly dominate Holiday Sales alone.
Not to mention BlackFriday Deals, that will likely be cheaper than the $50 off.

Last edited by SkateZilla; 11/07/14 12:48 AM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4032892 - 11/07/14 01:56 AM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
I opted for a Wii U and we love it...

exitstageleft

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#4032922 - 11/07/14 03:34 AM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

I would totally agree with your assessment Magnum.
I bought it for my kids but I seem to be the only one using it and that's rarely.
Wish I had gone for the PS4 instead. but lets hope the new Halo will change my mind.

#4033646 - 11/08/14 11:00 PM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
I only got my XBox One about a month ago or so. Got it from Newegg bundled with FM5 and BF4.

I'm actually quite happy with it, with one exception:

WHERE ARE ALL THE MOTHERF&%$ING GAMES?!?!??!?!?!?!?

I am shocked that, a full year later, there are so few really good games.

I've already grown bored of FM5 (it looks pretty but it sucks ass when compared to any decent racing sim on the PC).

BF4 is good, but not great.

CoD:AW? What can I say? YAWN!!!!!

I want some good, next-gen games for this thing and I want them soon.

It looks like I could have comfortably waited another year before investing.

But, yeah, aside from that, I like it just fine.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
Edgar Allan Poe
#4034656 - 11/11/14 04:45 PM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
I just bought my XBOne on Sunday, today I picked up:
Halo Master Chief Collection
Forza Horizon 2
Sunset Overdrive
Assassins Creed Unity that came with my bundle unlocked
Forza 5 digital code I bought cheap on ebay came and installed

So I get to start my XBOne ownership one year later with 4 great exclusives and one of the games that looked great at E3, this is what I was waiting to buy the XBOne for, it's like Christmas on Veterans Day for me thumbsup

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4034673 - 11/11/14 05:13 PM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Congrats Kludger... it's got good games... just some tech issues, being addressed every month, and few games... but hell, next week is FC4, DA Inquistion, and GTA V...not counting the couple of great ones released today. wink

#4035112 - 11/12/14 05:37 PM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks Magnum, first impressions are really good!

I'm loving the XBOne controller for driving, especially the trigger vibrations when you lock the tires on braking, both the nextgen controllers are an improvement from last gen, but the XBone definitely feels better for driving games, it's working so well for me for Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2 that I'm not missing using a wheel much, definitely not enough to be worth buying a new expensive wheel just for the XBone.

FM5 and FH2 look excellent and run smooth, I like seeing friend's drivatars when cruising around town and in the races (hope to unlock the Club feature soon and join SHQM), not liking the random rewards "Wheel" though, my luck just seems to land on the small money rewards instead of any cars when I level up.

Sunset Overdrive looks like a gorgeous fun platformer with shooting, Halo MCC is fun too for someone like me who always wanted to play Halo.

So for a new XBOne owner like me, it's a great time to jump in now that there's a bunch of great nextgen exclusive games to play, I still enjoy my PS4 but Sony's falling behind on exclusives now that DriveClub was delayed a year and then turned out to be a huge unfinished turd.... really only Infamous Second Son and The Last of Us Remastered are the exclusives keeping PS4 going until The Order 1866 comes out in Feb 2015 (if they don't delay it further), so perfect time for the XBone now.

The main thing I'm not loving on the XBOne is the slow dashboard UI compared to the PS4, seems like they didn't speed it up as much from the XB360 the way PS4 did from PS3... but I am enjoying the new "Snap" sideboard to watch HDMI passthrough XB360 media extender for TV and Twitch/Youtube while gaming, even impressed that the XBOne can use IRBlaster to control the XB360 TV mode, hope they keep enhancing the UI and features.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4035632 - 11/14/14 12:23 AM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I'm digging my ps4 so far, but is it really THAT much of a step up from last gen right now? No. It feels like more of the same with slightly better graphics.

I was hoping every next gen game would be 60fps, lots more people online in multiplayer games, bigger maps, ect.

So far BF4 is the only game I've played that really wowed me. 64 people online, much smoother gameplay than ps3 and on giant maps. I know you PC players have had this for a long time but as a console BF player it was a huge step up. Meanwhile CoD, AC, the sports games, just seem like more of the same with shinier graphics. Really hope for some innovation in this next year or two.

I do like the ps4 UI its very quick and snappy.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#4035731 - 11/14/14 04:29 AM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: kludger]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: kludger

The main thing I'm not loving on the XBOne is the slow dashboard UI compared to the PS4, seems like they didn't speed it up as much from the XB360 the way PS4 did from PS3... but I am enjoying the new "Snap" sideboard to watch HDMI passthrough XB360 media extender for TV and Twitch/Youtube while gaming, even impressed that the XBOne can use IRBlaster to control the XB360 TV mode, hope they keep enhancing the UI and features.

I use my Cable Company's DVR Box Universal Remote to control my Xbox 360.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4036204 - 11/15/14 09:09 AM Re: Xbox ONE 1 year later.... [Re: Magnum]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I bought my Xbone at launch and overall I've been happy with it. Needs more games, but I think in the first year of the 360 I had fewer games than I do now with the Xbone.

I bought the PS4 several months ago too, but almost never game on it. Sony's really dropped the ball with so few AAA exclusives. I have 2, Killzone and Infamous. That's it. I've never even played any of the crappy indie games they give away with PS+. If my wife didn't use the PS4 for Netflix, it would be gathering dust like the old Wii. And that HURTS considering it's a more powerful machine than the Xbone is. All that power and all Sony wants to sell/give me is stupid indie games and multiplatform games I'd rather play on Xbox or PC.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.