Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4029895 - 10/31/14 02:21 PM Custom stick project - advice sought  
evilC Offline
evilC  Offline

England
Hi all, new user here...
I am looking to try and rig up a custom control setup and would like some advice if possible.

My goals are a little vague - insofar as I expect the scope to broaden.

Short term, I am only interested in modding a throttle unit to meet my needs.
Longer term, I would want to get a decent stick going, but I am tempted to just get a T1600M and use it with my custom throttle.

I have the following parts at my disposal:

1x BU0836 12-bit joystick board with associated inputs (Hall sensors, push buttons etc)

2x Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X Stick/throttles.

1x Saitek X45 (Still in post).

Throttle-wise, my requirements are:

• Center detent
    There MUST be no other detents, only a center detent.
    I know how to do this mod on the T-Flight, no idea if it is poosible on the X45 yet.
  • Ideally axes handled by Hall Sensors.
    Again, I know how to do this with the T-Flight, not so sure on the X45 yet.
  • 5+ Buttons
    The T-Flight already has 4, the X45 only appears to have 1?
  • 1+ Hat switches (ideally 2+)
    The X45 throttle appears to have 1? The T-Flight has none.
    "Panel Mounting" these may be difficult? I cannot find any panel mount navigation switches for sale at a reasonable price.

Now as I only have 1 BU0836, and multiple sticks that I would like to mod for the Bu board, I am thinking that I may try and rig it so the BU board sits in it's own box, and the sticks plug in to the BU box.

The BU0836 is 8 axis / 32 buttons, so I am thinking of splitting that into two sets of 4-axes / 16-buttons, one set for the throttle and one set for a stick.

Now can anyone confirm how many pin connector I would need for this? Obviously I would need 9 for the buttons (3 rows, 6 columns per device), but how many pins would I need for the axes? Each axis has 3 pins on the BU board (+5v, GND, Input), but can I use a common +5v and GND? ie would I need 12 or 6 pins for 4 axes?)
Assuming 6 pins, I suppose an old-style joystick connector (DB-15?) would do for the interconnect from each device to the BU box?

Also, it seems that I will need to make a diode matrix for the buttons:

Does anyone have any advice on how to make such a thing? I have been looking at using veroboard, but I was wondering if there would be a better way...

Any advice gratefully received...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4029932 - 10/31/14 03:17 PM Re: Custom stick project - advice sought [Re: evilC]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted By: evilC

...the X45 only appears to have 1?

X-45 have 1 press button, but have more 4 on frontal HAT and 1 in Aux1.
Is a good base to add more buttons/axis. Samples:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/coturnix/IMG_2338a.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx298...11663A33D27.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuZNWktqtD2TAEW-vNtVfwW-ae4qVzeYOtZ4thL1YnTXp-Be-rV3IT95bG

Depends on your skill... Google for X-45 throttle MOD.

Quote:

[*]1+ Hat switches (ideally 2+)
The X45 throttle appears to have 1? The T-Flight has none.

You can easily remove the HAT from T-Flight stick (or other stick) and place in T-Flight throttle.
HATS are only 4 micro-switch (buttons) around a pole.

Quote:

The BU0836 is 8 axis / 32 buttons, so I am thinking of splitting that into two sets of 4-axes / 16-buttons, one set for the throttle and one set for a stick.

Unless you are placing a mini-stick (like those in PS3 gamepad) you only need 2 axis on josytick, since have throttle.

Place buttons/axis on joystick base go against the HOTAS principle (move hands for reach), limite buttons to ones that you can place in joystick grip.

Place buttons/switchs in some panel like in X-65 is more useful.

Quote:

Each axis has 3 pins on the BU board (+5v, GND, Input), but can I use a common +5v and GND? ie would I need 12 or 6 pins for 4 axes?)Assuming 6...
[quote]

Yes, you can share +5V and GND on axis, they are connect in same plance inside BU-0836 - have individual pins for each axis for convinience.

[quote]
pins, I suppose an old-style joystick connector (DB-15?) would do for the interconnect from each device to the BU box?

Use DB-15 to connect modules is good idea, the problem is find a cable with 15 internal wires... In some "FankStick" project I need use two cables for one DB-15...

Quote:

I have been looking at using veroboard, but I was wondering if there would be a better way...

Do a board for diode matrix is not a good idea for joystick re-wire because you are increasing the wires count, instead work with 3 x 6 (9 wires) you end with 18 wires to handle inside joystick pole.

Put the diode in one pin of every button/HAT and solder wires accord matrix scheme.

E.g. Row 1 wire go to diode in button 1, then to diode in button 2, etc.

Quote:
"Panel Mounting" these may be difficult? I cannot find any panel mount navigation switches for sale at a reasonable price.

No idea about what you are talking there. smile

Sokol1

#4030008 - 10/31/14 06:47 PM Re: Custom stick project - advice sought [Re: Sokol1]  
evilC Offline
evilC  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: Sokol1

Unless you are placing a mini-stick (like those in PS3 gamepad) you only need 2 axis on josytick, since have throttle.

I would ideally like 4 axes on the throttle.

Throttle, Rudder, Thrusters Up/Down, Thrusters Left/Right.

I plan on using the throttle for Elite:Dangerous also, so at least 2 extra analog axes are desirable.

Quote:

Use DB-15 to connect modules is good idea, the problem is find a cable with 15 internal wires... In some "FankStick" project I need use two cables for one DB-15...

If you use a DB15 or DB25, you can use a standard pre-made cable. Eg a DB25 is a "Parallel Port Cable", a DB15 is a "MIDI cable".

Quote:

Do a board for diode matrix is not a good idea for joystick re-wire because you are increasing the wires count, instead work with 3 x 6 (9 wires) you end with 18 wires to handle inside joystick pole.

*Internal* wire count, which is not an issue for me.
Bear in mind I wish to have no electronics (Save for sensors / buttons) inside the sticks / throttles. All sensors / buttons will be wired to the DB25s, which then connects to the BU0836 inside a separate box.
That way, if I mod other sticks, I do not have to buy more BU0836 boards - I just wire everything up to DB25s using a standardized pinout scheme.

Quote:

[Re: Panel Mount] No idea about what you are talking there. smile

The buttons in this image you linked are panel mount buttons. They have a thread on the shaft of the button with a nut to lock it in place.
Interestingly, that image is of a stick modded for the very game I mainly want this throttle for - Mechwarrior Online.
It's pretty much exactly what I would want wink

#4030019 - 10/31/14 07:01 PM Re: Custom stick project - advice sought [Re: Sokol1]  
evilC Offline
evilC  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: Sokol1

Also, surely that is only if you put the matrix inside the base.
I was thinking of putting the matrix inside the handle of the throttle -this would mean 9 wires going up the shaft.
The general idea is to have the pins of the DB15 being the ROW and COLUMN pins on the BU board, plus the INPUT pins for the axes, plus one common +5V and GND.
I could even use a DB25 as the interconnect and pass through all the *unique* pins from the BU board:

Full support via DB25:
8x Analog Input ("Wiper" contact)
6x Button Rows
6x Button Columns
1x +5V
1x GND

Total: 22

Half support (4 axes, 16 buttons) via DB15:
4x Analog Input
3x Button Rows
6x Button Columns
1x +5V
1x GND

Total: 15

Last edited by evilC; 10/31/14 07:01 PM.
#4030046 - 10/31/14 07:47 PM Re: Custom stick project - advice sought [Re: evilC]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
The problem in use many wires (matrix board) is in joystick pole, the inside diameter is not very friendly of many wires, that need turn 90 degrees bellow. Test this first, puting the needed wires in place.

" panel mount buttons"

You can buy these in Ebay from China, search for "momentary Push button Switch".
"momentary toggle switch" is too usefull, and even "toggle switch".

#4030569 - 11/02/14 10:31 AM Re: Custom stick project - advice sought [Re: evilC]  
evilC Offline
evilC  Offline

England
I have panel mount buttons, I need panel mounted hat switches.

I have loads of space inside the shaft of the throttle. I could easily fit 15+ wires down there.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.