Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4029865 - 10/31/14 01:26 PM Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Supposedly, Donald Duck and Scrooge McDuck comics aren't as popular in the US as in Europe. Is this correct? In my opinion, the Carl Barks and Don Rosa stories about Donald and Uncle Scrooge are among the very best comic book stories ever written. My favourites are Don Rosa's "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" series. Storytelling that isn't just for kids, with some really emotional bits thrown in. Scrooge's transformation from idealist to hardened capitalist, the estrangement of his family and so on. Great storytelling, in my opinion. Then there are the stories of exploration and treasure hunting: "The Son of the Sun", "Lost in the Andes", "The Golden Helmet", and one of my favourite Duck stories of all time, "A Christmas for Shacktown", which is Dickensian in scope and format.

I just found out some weeks ago that both Don Rosas and Carl Barks' stories are in the process of being released as compilations in book form, and have started purchasing them. This week four of them dropped into my mailbox, and I have been busy revisiting childhood memories for several nights now. This is a pic from yesterday, with a bit of Glenlivet Master Distiller's Reserve to keep me company smile

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4030208 - 11/01/14 05:21 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: semmern]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Yeah, that's what I heard as well... something the always angry Donald Duck not being a good example to kids or so. Instead that sickeningly goody-two-shoes Mickey Mouse gets all the attention.

In the Netherlands, Donald Duck magazine has been going strong for over 50 years now I think... Mickey Magazine never really took off.

Last edited by Legend; 11/01/14 05:51 AM.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#4030212 - 11/01/14 07:02 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: semmern]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Donald and Scrooge are popular in Spain too, I loved them as a kid.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4030223 - 11/01/14 08:41 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: semmern]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Donald and his family are a comedic gold mine, simply because of the dysfunctionality. Comedy drives on conflict. A goody-good character like Mikey could never compete with a duck with anger management problems. And as Don Rosa shows, you can tell more stories than just treasure hunts, the topic that Carl Barks masterfully explored.

In Germany particularly the Car Barks stories are particularly popular because of the genial translation by Dr. Erika Fuchs. Well, translation is probably the wrong word; she twisted the text so much, it's probably more of a "transposition". She made the stories a treasure trove for grown-ups as well as she was constantly adding in twisted versions of famous quotes, and paraphrased famous German poets (Goethe, Schiller, Lessing) in a very humorous way that you would truly appreciate if you could recognize the original sources. Also, she pioneered German-specific Onomatopoeia like the now proverbial "Klickeradoms!" ("the sound of lightbulbs dropping into a bathtub").
The overall story remained the same, of course. But a simple translation it was not. Back-translating her would be a daunting challenge.

#4030241 - 11/01/14 10:05 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: Ssnake]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
whilst not soley scrooge ...

"ducktales ... whoohhooo!"

cool

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4030248 - 11/01/14 11:14 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: semmern]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Mickey is still around in the USA,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_%28TV_series%29

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4030476 - 11/02/14 12:26 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: semmern]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I never liked Mickey when i was young, always thought he was a weirdo. Donald was definitely funny though.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4030520 - 11/02/14 03:29 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: semmern]  
jroc Offline
jroc  Offline

Oregon
Those books aren't as popular here, but they should have been. I learned Norwegian in great part by reading them. I borrowed them from a neighbor who collected them; he had them in his bookcase arranged so that the spines lined up and displayed various faces (darkwing duck, donald, scrooge, etc). Which to a nine year old boy was the coolest thing ever until that friend got an Amiga.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane… I'm going to look those books up.

#4030558 - 11/02/14 09:12 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: jroc]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: jroc
Those books aren't as popular here, but they should have been. I learned Norwegian in great part by reading them. I borrowed them from a neighbor who collected them; he had them in his bookcase arranged so that the spines lined up and displayed various faces (darkwing duck, donald, scrooge, etc). Which to a nine year old boy was the coolest thing ever until that friend got an Amiga.

Start with "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck", the best of the bunch by far. It's on Amazon. Amazing stories and great, great artwork.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4030576 - 11/02/14 11:14 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: semmern]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: semmern
Originally Posted By: jroc

Start with "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck", the best of the bunch by far. It's on Amazon. Amazing stories and great, great artwork.

*borrows your books!*

#4030577 - 11/02/14 11:17 AM Re: Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books [Re: semmern]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

Can't remember when I first noticed it, but there was a series I think about the trio: Donald, Goofy and Mickey. Donald and Goofy each had a unique characteristic that's easy to describe and remember, Mickey came across as a blank slate.

Even Bugs Bunny comes across as a bit boring compared to Daffy Duck (even had its own Duck Dodgers series).

They are trying to change Mickey though, from a wikipedia article, his character was revised in a video game (more mischievous IIRC). I wonder if that will catch on.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.