Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3988585 - 07/30/14 10:53 PM A Question About This Release  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I've seen a list of the airplanes being released for this. Just came out with the FW-190, and I think I saw that the Spit will be in November. The P-47 is in February, I believe. I assume the Mustang we already have will be compatible, correct? So, when DCS;WW2 is released, what airplanes will come with it? I'm a little confused. Are they just giving us the WW2 world, and we buy the planes separately?

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3988588 - 07/30/14 10:56 PM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Pooch]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
109 in October I think...

The Map will be a paid addon as well... the world as far as I know will be created and free, but how its all to work is unknown right now.

#4010809 - 09/17/14 03:10 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Pooch]  
Leadspitter Offline
Leadspitter  Offline

NY
6-8 flyables in one title would be worth it for me for $40-60 then make another pack pf 6 twin engines and map for similar price, then 4 engine heavy bombers 3-4 since its much more cockpit work and theater maps

this 1 plane stuff for the price of a full game is whats holding large numbers from purchasing. Need to build up the online community then advertise heavily. turbosquid has alot of mid to highpoly models already made but nothing cockpit wise up to dcs standards

- Good dogfighters return home with ammo, The great ones do not.
#4010811 - 09/17/14 03:21 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Pooch]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
the DCS WWII Europe Standalone is DEAD, Everything will be For DCSW.

Also, When RRG Dissolved and ED Took over the Project, the Rewards Changed.

FW-190D9, August 2014, Released
BF-109K, November 2014, Pre-Order for -10% Available
Spitfire IX, December 2014
P-47D, March 2015
Normandy Map with period AI units, May 2015 -
Other features like the Me.262A-1 and AI-only B-17G are also in development, but no Estimated Time frame for release.

If you havent Already, Read the September Newsletter for updates and Links to the Updated Backer Rewards:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129630

Last edited by SkateZilla; 09/17/14 03:22 AM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4010816 - 09/17/14 03:58 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Leadspitter]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: Leadspitter
6-8 flyables in one title would be worth it for me for $40-60 then make another pack pf 6 twin engines and map for similar price, then 4 engine heavy bombers 3-4 since its much more cockpit work and theater maps

It's a lovely thought, but I very much doubt that the financials line up. I don't think ED are selling the modules at $50 to support their Ferrari-driving, caviar-eating, champagne-swilling lifestyles. I think the price point just reflects the cost of building complex, expensive content for a very small, niche audience.

6-8 DCS-level aircraft for $50 just isn't a sustainable business model.

this 1 plane stuff for the price of a full game is whats holding large numbers from purchasing.

That's just an assumption, though, right? There's no empirical evidence to support that assertion. The limiting factor could just as easily be the lack of singleplayer content, concerns around the daunting complexity and/or the lack of activity on multiplayer servers.

The DCS series is very much pitched towards the hardcore sim crowd (as opposed to Il-2: BoS which is "mid-core" and War Thunder which is very much a game). The hardcore crowd are generally more prepared to part with their money because they're more obsessive by definition. Speaking just for myself, I would happily pay $100+ for the forthcoming F/A-18C module and I suspect that I'm not alone.

That being the case, I'm not convinced that price is the major limiting factor here. It could be, but there's no substantiating proof.

Just as an example, there's a guy I work with who claims to be into sims. He's got an X-55, Saitek rudders, and TrackIR... but he only plays Apache Air Assault, Il-2 Birds of Prey, Ace Combat and Elite: Dangerous. I've repeatedly tried getting him into DCS, but he's not interested. He thinks it's too complex, the missions are too boring (by virtue of their realism) and teh graphics are too out-dated. Money's not the issue for him at all.

Need to build up the online community then advertise heavily.

I agree with this in principle, but I'm not sure how you accomplish it in practice. How do you go about building up an online community?

---------
Pizzicato
#4014113 - 09/25/14 01:18 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Pooch]  
Leadspitter Offline
Leadspitter  Offline

NY
Well back in the days game companies had to have alot of content and did free content patches to keep the customers interested. This 1 product for the price of a whole game will never work and get large numbers. FLight sims never had large numbers besides fsx and il2 1000+ players.

Look at games like warthunder which is doing great financially

free content and game gets the people all there then people get hooked and have to buy packs.. It is also the only flight game with a lot of players these days.

and its all il2 models with some fancy lighting and gloss fx.

Working on 1 model and getting less then 100 people to buy is no business model then game dies out in a couple months... maybe good for them not good for the customer, its how i felt about il2 BOE BOS Rise of Flight and the dcs series i own been here since the first lock on and bought a couple packs dc2 backshark, 2 a-10 and they mostly got played a couple times no online community made me stop playing. il2 is getting hard to find full games these days

DCS is still a game dont go barking sim mid sim and arcade they all do the same thing and have in the past 20 years. The only one to bring something new was olegs host locks for cockpit and damage models and other selection features. I do agree that the long dragged out startups bore those into not playing and finding it interesting most just want instant furball and fighting right away. Even with il2 i tried getting many people into it who loved wwii aviation and they found it to difficult to do well online vs ai and would get slaughtered online

All the host options suits everyones needs arcade to sim in one game but unfortunately arcade always wins in the aircraft gaming world and brings the most numbers, they have the most fun that way.

- Good dogfighters return home with ammo, The great ones do not.
#4014126 - 09/25/14 01:54 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Leadspitter]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Well back in the days game companies had to have alot of content and did free content patches to keep the customers interested. This 1 product for the price of a whole game will never work and get large numbers.

It doesn't need to. Sometimes the smart thing to do is find a niche and own it (as Eagle clearly does) as opposed to trying to compete with the guys that are already making big money.

It's clear from the fact that ED have been going for over 20 years and are still doing well that they've found a business model that works for them. It's clearly financially viable and has enough fans to support it.

You're clearly not sold on that approach, but that's fine - their approach and philosophy is not going to work for everyone.

As an analogy, the guy that makes the MFG Crosswind rudder pedals isn't going to make anywhere near as much as the companies that make third party gamepads, but he's found a niche that works for him and seems to be very profitable. The Eagle guys seem to live in that same space.

---------
Pizzicato
#4014145 - 09/25/14 03:52 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Pooch]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Q: I was a KS donor and should be able to download one aircraft. I am waiting for the Thunderbolt. Meanwhile, I've tried to navigate the rewards links at ED's site and I keep running into 'page not available.' Also, my Antivirus on computer and smartphone both say that the ED site is Spyware and malicious.

So what is the process for claiming my reward aircraft? Do I need to register at ED? Should I download DCS world first?

Last edited by Skycat; 09/25/14 03:54 AM.

Remove before flight
#4014146 - 09/25/14 04:03 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Skycat]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: Skycat
Q: I was a KS donor and should be able to download one aircraft. I am waiting for the Thunderbolt. Meanwhile, I've tried to navigate the rewards links at ED's site and I keep running into 'page not available.' Also, my Antivirus on computer and smartphone both say that the ED site is Spyware and malicious.

So what is the process for claiming my reward aircraft? Do I need to register at ED? Should I download DCS world first?

You need to go to https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/ and then log in (or create an account).

You then need to select Personal Section and then Backer Page from the side bar. These options only show up once you're signed in.

I've heard other people mention that the site sometimes gets called out as malicious by some anti-virus, but it's a false positive. I've never heard of anyone actually having any genuine issues with it.

As for DCS World, you'll need it once the P-47 is eventually released, but you don't need it in order to choose the aircraft as your reward.

Note, however, that post-Ilya mayhem resulted in the terms of the rewards changing. Details can be found here if you're interested:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=126712

There's also a help post for if you have problems accessing the backer's section:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=124949

---------
Pizzicato
#4014153 - 09/25/14 05:04 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Pooch]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Thank you. I can't access ED's website yet again tonight, even with a Google search to make sure the link isn't wrong. Maybe eventually...

Remove before flight
#4014161 - 09/25/14 06:18 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Skycat]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Thank you. I can't access ED's website yet again tonight, even with a Google search to make sure the link isn't wrong. Maybe eventually...

That's... bizarre. I've never had any issues with that at all.

Try PM'ing SkateZilla or SithSpawn here at SimHQ. They may be able to help (or at least point you in the direction of someone else who can).

---------
Pizzicato
#4019894 - 10/08/14 07:06 PM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: SkateZilla]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

Originally Posted By: SkateZilla

P-47D, March 2015
Other features like the Me.262A-1 and AI-only B-17G are also in development, but no Estimated Time frame for release.

If you havent Already, Read the September Newsletter for updates and Links to the Updated Backer Rewards:

And how does all that go together to form a SP experience? Will their be a campaign on that map with AI units?

#4019904 - 10/08/14 07:34 PM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: bonchie]  
NineLine Offline
ED Community Manager
NineLine  Offline
ED Community Manager

BC, Canada
That is the goal, full 1944 experience...

Originally Posted By: bonchie

And how does all that go together to form a SP experience? Will their be a campaign on that map with AI units?

#4028863 - 10/29/14 02:22 PM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Skycat]  
Wolf_Rider Offline
Wolf_Rider  Offline

Australia

would you mind advising us as to which Antivirus product you are actually running?

“Hypocrisy in anything whatever may deceive the cleverest and most penetrating man, but the least wide-awake of children recognizes it, and is revolted by it, however ingeniously it may be disguised.”

Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
#4029350 - 10/30/14 02:26 PM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Pooch]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla

P-47D, March 2015

I am really looking forward to that P-47. With my KS I will be able to get the Spit and P-47 as well.. I had the Mustang already and just got the 190 and the key for the 109 is up.. ... Very nice. I am looking forward to a WWII map as well.

Originally Posted By: Pizzicato

It's a lovely thought, but I very much doubt that the financials line up. I don't think ED are selling the modules at $50 to support their Ferrari-driving, caviar-eating, champagne-swilling lifestyles. I think the price point just reflects the cost of building complex, expensive content for a very small, niche audience.

6-8 DCS-level aircraft for $50 just isn't a sustainable business model.

this 1 plane stuff for the price of a full game is whats holding large numbers from purchasing.

That's just an assumption, though, right? There's no empirical evidence to support that assertion. The limiting factor could just as easily be the lack of singleplayer content, concerns around the daunting complexity and/or the lack of activity on multiplayer servers.

The DCS series is very much pitched towards the hardcore sim crowd (as opposed to Il-2: BoS which is "mid-core" and War Thunder which is very much a game). The hardcore crowd are generally more prepared to part with their money because they're more obsessive by definition. Speaking just for myself, I would happily pay $100+ for the forthcoming F/A-18C module and I suspect that I'm not alone.

That being the case, I'm not convinced that price is the major limiting factor here. It could be, but there's no substantiating proof.

Just as an example, there's a guy I work with who claims to be into sims. He's got an X-55, Saitek rudders, and TrackIR... but he only plays Apache Air Assault, Il-2 Birds of Prey, Ace Combat and Elite: Dangerous. I've repeatedly tried getting him into DCS, but he's not interested. He thinks it's too complex, the missions are too boring (by virtue of their realism) and teh graphics are too out-dated. Money's not the issue for him at all.

Need to build up the online community then advertise heavily.

I agree with this in principle, but I'm not sure how you accomplish it in practice. How do you go about building up an online community?

My thoughts as well.. I see DCS as a niche within a niche.. and I think their pricing is pretty much spot on. I hate I missed that last sale... Not everyone is going to get into the level of simming that DCS offers.. I know for me sometimes I just want to get in a go. IL2, BoS, DCS and CoD will be on my HD for a long time because each one offers something unique to me. Apache Air Assault was the helo yin to the WoP yang.. I had both of them but removed them both from my HD after WT came out and I stopped doing the Alpha for that after a few days.. it just didn't appeal to me at all. DCS for me is great but sometimes it is just too much... but I think it is good that so many tastes are covered..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4033286 - 11/07/14 11:45 PM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Wolf_Rider]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Norton 360 on my PC, and whatever is default on my Samsung Galaxy S5. (Edit, this is in response to Wolf_Rider.)

Last edited by Skycat; 11/07/14 11:47 PM.

Remove before flight
#4033390 - 11/08/14 04:35 AM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Bearcat99]  
Capt_Hook Offline
Capt_Hook  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bearcat99

My thoughts as well.. I see DCS as a niche within a niche.. and I think their pricing is pretty much spot on. I hate I missed that last sale... Not everyone is going to get into the level of simming that DCS offers.. I know for me sometimes I just want to get in a go. IL2, BoS, DCS and CoD will be on my HD for a long time because each one offers something unique to me. Apache Air Assault was the helo yin to the WoP yang.. I had both of them but removed them both from my HD after WT came out and I stopped doing the Alpha for that after a few days.. it just didn't appeal to me at all. DCS for me is great but sometimes it is just too much... but I think it is good that so many tastes are covered..

This is somewhat a matter of perception, though, especially regarding WWII aircraft.

Yes, jumping into the A-10C is something that's a 'niche within a niche', but even a supremely well-modeled WWII bomber isn't anywhere near that level of intimidation and super-specialized interest, especially with the simplified control scheme available for them as an option. With period maps and decent, Disastersoft-level single player content, I think DCS WWII could sell as well or better than IL2. In many ways the fidelity makes the planes easier to fly.

The WWII yank-n-bank crowd is large. Give them some good single-player content and a PACKAGE DEAL and you'll bring them in in droves.

Hardware: Asus Sabertooth Z87 - Intel 4670K @ 4.4 - 16GB RAM - EVGA Titan - Old Asus 26" 19x12 LCD - bunch of drives.

Sim Toys: Warthog - 8cm Simpit Hog extension - TIR5 - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device rudder pedals - Obutto R3v
#4033554 - 11/08/14 05:26 PM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Pooch]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

This won't be a good SP experience without several comprehensive improvements that have not been addressed. There has been a small acknowledgement of the huge flaws in the damage system and that it would be adressed at some point. However, issues such as AI flight model and visibility hasn't been acknowledged much. Half a week ago I flew the F-86 escort mission, and sighed heavily when I discovered that an AI P-51D had been chasing the Honcho MiG-15 (set to Excellent, the highest skill level) for about 90% of the mission without a problem.

Then there's things such as the setting and AI communication, the overall lingo, etc., but mostly I doubt that the earlier mentioned issues will garner much success for DCS:WW2.

#4043957 - 12/01/14 04:03 PM Re: A Question About This Release [Re: Skycat]  
Wolf_Rider Offline
Wolf_Rider  Offline

Australia
Norton 360 on my PC, and whatever is default on my Samsung Galaxy S5. (Edit, this is in response to Wolf_Rider.)

No problems reported from others who run the same A/V solution.. that's not to say some may have an issue. Strange as it may seem, if some have an issue and most don't, the issue is more likely to exist at the user/s' end, else everyone running that solution would have complaint.

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 12/01/14 04:14 PM.

“Hypocrisy in anything whatever may deceive the cleverest and most penetrating man, but the least wide-awake of children recognizes it, and is revolted by it, however ingeniously it may be disguised.”

Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.