Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#4030714 - 11/02/14 06:42 PM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
murkz Online content
murkz  Online Content

Herefordshire, Uk
I agree 33lima, you have summed it up very nicely. As for porting to PE3, I think BobR used many different tables, therefore making the process very difficult to port the new 3d stuff over.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4030726 - 11/02/14 07:05 PM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Sturmtiger Offline
Sturmtiger  Offline

USA
I am running into a problem.

I bought and installed PE on Amazon.

The installation goes fine and I can start the program at version 1.1.

When i try to install the 1.2 update it gives me an error and then continues to install.

If I then start PE,I get a " my menu " error and the game starts with a Sherman in a scenario already and I cannot get back to the main menu.

I am running windows 7X64.

Thanks for any help with this.

One other question, is the GOG version at 1.2 already?

Thanks

#4030729 - 11/02/14 07:36 PM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi Sturmtiger.

I too get (always got?) an error when patching PE to 1.2 (now on Vista 64) something about a missing file, a sound file IIRC, 'Hamra.wav' or some such filename. The patch installation (a self-extracting zip file, at least the one I used) completes extraction regardless, after I click through the mission file. PE 1.2 then runs fine. The patch also picked up my correct installation folder, even tho I had changed this to install outside Program Files (x86) - as Vista and later can interfere with some stuff older programs like IL-2 need to do, if installed there. So I don't expect that you installed the patch to the wrong folder, which would have been one possibility. Apparently PP2-X won't work if the PE .exe is set in any Windows compatibility mode (I checked this was unticked for all the .exes in my installation folder, just in case).

I do recall years ago something about a 'mymenu' error, but the Wings PE forums where this would have been discussed are long gone unfortunately; maybe try a search on the PEDG forum (linked to above), if one of the team doesn't see and respond here.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4030908 - 11/03/14 04:36 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

PE has problems dealing with large amounds of memory. If you have more then 2 gigs of video memory, you will need to use the 3D configure tool that I have rewritten. 3D_Control_Center for PEx.

You can use this for all of PE, but you can only use 32bit color with the new game engine. If in doubt, try a 16bit color resolution first. There are also problems with large screen resolutions. Try 1680 x 1050 or lower first. So 16 bit 1680 x 1050 should work with all versions of Windows. If you are still having problems with PE crashing, try turning off the features of your modern video card (anti-aliasing, sampeling, etc). And lastly, You may need Direct X 9 from Microsoft. It sounds like DX11 will not support DX6.

GOG's PESE was already patched to 1.2 at the end, but they have stopped selling the game.
You can find patch 1.2 at my home page, right below the JoWooD icon.
PE Patch 1.2

With PE 1.2, you may need to run in win98 compatibility mode. The easiest way is to set this in the desktop icon and running the game from there. With the most recent version of the game engine you can not use compatibility mode. The latest version (after version 1.03) of PEx can use more then 2 gigs of ram, and that breaks compatibility mode.

The old notes for installing patch 1.2

1.1. After installation of Panzer Elite SE, run Patch1.2.exe. It can be found on the Panzer Elite web site. This will allow Multi-player.

1.1.1 Installing Patch 1.2: Problem with the wave\scenario folder containing read only files. If patch 1.2 reports an error then the following files must have the read only attribute changed.

Disable all mods, and change some file attributes in the Wave/Scenario folder:
(Read-Only -> Normal)
Hamra/*.wav
Hill138/031.wav (only one file)
StLambert/*.wav
StLeonard/*.wav
StLo/*.wav
When it is done, the Patch 1.2 can be installed.

If your operating system is Windows XP or higher you can change the attributes of the entire folder at once. If you have another operating system, you will need to change each file individually.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4031321 - 11/03/14 09:05 PM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Have been playing a few quick missions with PP2-x and the tanks that have been remodelled so far are most impressive, not least one of my favourites, the Sherman Firefly:

...likewise, the late model Panzer IVs, which are also now looking rather good:

The mix of these great new tank models and terrain with some of the original sim's crude and crudely-textured ones will be rather jarring, until such a time as the original models are also upgraded, which may be a long road as there are so many of them, especially considering the MvR, Torch and Britpak mods. It's a pity there's no easy way to port the better models and textures used in PE3 (by Geezer and others I expect) into PP2-X, as an interim measure, at least the ones featured in the three main mods, as included with the Special Edition.

Last edited by 33lima; 11/03/14 09:41 PM.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4031499 - 11/04/14 12:18 PM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who worked on this.
I must admit, it took some time and at least 5 uninstalls until got the hang of it, but now its an amazing experience.
Being an old player, I had no issues with graphics (its much better than Steel Thunder on C64, which I spent countless hours).
The problem was getting used to the strange jumping horizon during movement (I mean, heavy metal just shouldn't move like that) and also learning the controls/mechanics of the simulation.
Finally, the campaign, the strategic elements, the command system, the voice overs and the overall 'being there' feeling slowly took over (none of these can be found in other titles I know/own).
Thank you.

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#4031826 - 11/04/14 11:44 PM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Quote:
I mean, heavy metal just shouldn't move like that

smile it was much worse before. At least the front end does not pop back up after it pitches down, driving off a sharp step.
That is the primary code work happening right now. In fact, that is the last thing to be fixed before version 1.04 of the game engine goes from beta to release version. Last night I found the last of the bits causing this. Disabeling the routine that rocks the tank back on acceleration removed almost all of the twitching. duh I guess the driver needs to learn how to slip the clutch when the engine rpms get too low (joke). I hope to have a build off to the beta testers tonight, then an official patch to the game code over the weekend.

#4031956 - 11/05/14 09:05 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
You guys are a miracle!
Thanks, and looking forward to the update.

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#4031963 - 11/05/14 09:25 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Quote:
You guys are a miracle!
Thanks, and looking forward to the update.

Me too,I hope an all in one download smile

#4032416 - 11/06/14 03:04 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Quote:
Me too,I hope an all in one download

That is up to the mod maker. If you have an issue with PEx, I am the person to complain too.

Real world work kept me busy yesterday, but I blew off most of today's real world work. While watching the tank drive over the little cliff and across the bottom to the up side, I started thinking about unzipping test files and the rules that apply. Forgive me if I sound arrogant.

Rule #1 Check the file path (or ask the author). If the path assumes you want the mod folder and assumes you do not know how to find it, The zip is not the type I am refering to and no other rules apply.

Rule #2 If the 'test' zip is for the mod you have enabled and all files included in the zip are part of the mod when you enabled it, you do not need to disable the mod. The mod enabler stores file names, not there size. Providing the file was in the mod when you enabled the mod, the test file will be deleted when you disable the mod.

Edit:
You do not need to disable the mod Rule #3 assumes the files are being unzipped to the 'root' folder.

Rule #3 If rule #2 is true and you want the original file back, all you need to do is copy and paste the mods original file from the files within the "Mods" folder.

Rule #4 If you hosted a MP game or tried to set up a MP map and try to dis-enable (disable? Sorry I flunked English) the mod enabler will crash if a there is a 'PE'/Scenario/*.mps file that is not included in the mod. Yes it is a bug, yes it needs to be fixed, blahblahblah . ( KrappO, if your still around cheers )

Back to work. deadhorse

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 11/06/14 03:14 AM.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4033405 - 11/08/14 06:14 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

My work has not passed the beta tests, so a release version 1.04 will not happen this weakend.

Test 8 is up, if you want to try it and do not have access to that forum's thread. It uses a mirrored version of test 7 for reversing. Acceleration change to the X axis of the player are disabled in reverse and forward. One side of the unit hovering when the opposit side had one wheel in contact with the ground addressed.

http://home.comcast.net/~ab707/pex/beta/test8.zip

If you have PP2x beta 1.2 active, just unzip to your PE install.

Sorry to Daskel if I hijacked this thread. wink I'll shut up after telling all that they should check out his WIP sound mod for PP2x.

#4033430 - 11/08/14 09:07 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
murkz Online content
murkz  Online Content

Herefordshire, Uk

Loving it smile pzr4 long barrel.

Last edited by murkz; 11/08/14 11:26 AM.
#4033719 - 11/09/14 03:58 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

I can't believe how good the vegetation looks like now!!!!The game looks so much more immersive!

#4033721 - 11/09/14 04:03 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Aldo, really looking forward to the update. And thanks for your continuing loyal work and contributions for keeping this sim alive, and for keeping us in touch with it.

Eugene

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#4034032 - 11/10/14 07:55 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Frinik22,
The grass is what I call ground clutter, and was added with version 1.03. You can add the ground clutter to any existing map, it uses a 3D model uniquely named to each of the ground types. The model is automaticly offset and rotated, but it is not perfect as you will find if you are working near a cliff (floating polys) or viewing an image where you can easily see the X and Y of the landscape grids.

The player can also dictate the draw range for these models or let the FPS determine draw range. If you have enough room in the artwork, you can do grass on the quality of CMAK or TvT. I admit, I took the idea from what I saw while playing CMAK.

Murkz is showing a landscape that uses 128x128 24bit landscape tiles. PE and PEx pre 1.04 use 64x64 8bit tiles. The Alpha tools for 128x128 24bit landscape/scenario editor are avalible. Slomo has included his 24bit landscapes and 3D lighting maps in his beta 1.2.

Eugine,
Sorry, I tend to yap-yap.
With test 8:
Above 15 KPH units with more then 4 ground contact points lag behind and the rear of the track sinks into the ground. (confermed)( pitch X problem, maybe? )
Some times elevation does not match after comming to complete stop or accelerating from 0 speed. ( need more specifics that I can run through VS6 debugger)

TPA who TWI
#4036550 - 11/16/14 05:03 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

All test files had a cap on the verticle movement of the "unit". Accelerated time does not compensate. I still want opinions of 'terminal' -Z velocity after time acceleration is ended by the computer ( unit free fall ).

The rear sinking into the ground is caused by a Y axis dampner that is still restricted if the opposit side had bottomed suspension wheels. I have started using a factor of step climb to limit the suspension wheel movement of tanks.

TPA who TWI
#4037120 - 11/17/14 05:53 PM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Aldo, in my opinion, you never have to apologize! Btw, are you squeezing work on the update in between your fine work on other sims? Any other news to share?

Eugene

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#4037430 - 11/18/14 05:55 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Quote:

are you squeezing work on the update in between your fine work on other sims?

I have not worked with other sims since I had to sign a NDA.
I am sqeezing it in between repairing motorcycles so I can eat, drink and be the idiot of the internet.

Quote:
Any other news to share?

Observational math sux to do. smile You would not believe how bored I am at turn 45 left, drive off the cliff and in 2 minutes the vertical spike will repete every 90 seconds, while trying to climb the opposit bank. No dampner and one problem, dampner that makes tank feel heavy results in floating tanks. Now maybe the view cone needs a tweak at modern resolutions. The view cone is not a problem, but it needs to be deleted by the end user and rebuilt by the game engine. Or, the end user has to allow software delete when installing a patch. That is not going to fly these days.

TPA who TWI
#4037452 - 11/18/14 08:17 AM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
walter Offline
walter  Offline

Looks as good as the latest combat mission biggrin keep it up, gone have to reinstall this soon, great work you guys. popcorn

Cheers
Walt

#4038601 - 11/20/14 08:38 PM Re: WW2 Sim? Panzer Elite with PP2-X 1.1 [Re: Daskal]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.