Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4027443 - 10/26/14 08:25 AM Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

Hi there,

here's just a heads-up for someone who might suffer from the same problem I had until recently. I bought WOFF recently and was getting horrible (4 - 20) FPS even in QC without any other a/c around. My machine is a

Quad i5-4570@3.20 GHz
8 MB system RAM
GeForce GTX760
Windows 7 64 bit

so I figured something must be very wrong here. I checked the forums, tried all kinds of NVIDIA and in game settings but nothing fixed it, I could even lower everything down to 1 which gained me only some 5 FPS or so. I was short of reaching out to the devs in a semi-friendly manner trying to break a deal to get my money back when I ran into advise on some German forum I hadn't seen anywhere else: The guy wrote about how the only way to fix his FPS problems was to d/l this tool ,run it prior to booting up WOFF and select "automatic" in the upper right hand corner under "Mode". I tried it and now I'm getting 40-60 FPS even in the campaign, which is the normal range for most players it would seem. This tool deals with core management / assignment in some way, and it seems on my machine it was necessary for the CFS3 engine to run properly since it is so friggin old by now and seemingly couldn't deal with my CPU setup.

Thought you might want to hear about it in case you got a similar problem, and I couldn't find any topic on that tool in this forum here when searching for it afterwards. Since it was such a great help for me and really fixed the sim from totally unplayable to great, I think the devs might want to consider including this fix in the FAQ or something.

Regards,
heartc

#4027447 - 10/26/14 08:49 AM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: heartc]  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

Addendum:
After selecting "automatic", do not close the utility, but minimize it. And don't forget to disable it (set it to "off") after you're done playing WOFF (I don't know how and if it effects other processes and if it might degrade performance there).

Regards
heartc

#4027479 - 10/26/14 12:48 PM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: heartc]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Why another piece of software that could be conflicting when Windows does have this tool included.

Open the Task manager [alt ctrl del]
Go to the details tab and go to the name of the task you want to set.
Right mouse click en select "Set affinity" here is your choice of CPU core.
Click on OK

Tip: check always on beforehand the load on the CPU core during the play/activity, it has no use selecting core0 to the game if this core is reaching 90% load. Select the core that uses the lowest. This is also a handy when facing a lot of load on one or two CPU core. By selecting the game to core0 affinity and TrackIR to core1 as a sample, you can spread the CPUcore load.

That is all.

Last edited by dutch; 10/29/14 08:21 PM.
#4028037 - 10/28/14 12:17 AM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: heartc]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
heartc, you could gain a similar gain in performance by going into your Nvidia control panel, under 3D settings...Antialiasing Mode...select "Override any application setting."

Your rig is not that much different from mine, and I'm pegged at 60 fps after enabling that setting.

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
32" Dell S3220DGF curved gaming monitor @ 2560 x 1440p @ 165 Hz
Sound BlasterX G6 External USB sound card
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones
Thrustmaster TM16000 FCS HOTAS
Logitec Pro Flight Pedals
TrackIR 5
#4040146 - 11/24/14 10:11 AM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: dutch]  
UK_Widowmaker Offline
Animal Cruelty sucks
UK_Widowmaker  Offline
Animal Cruelty sucks

Northumberland UK
Originally Posted By: dutch
Why another piece of software that could be conflicting when Windows does have this tool included.

Open the Task manager [alt ctrl del]
Go to the details tab and go to the name of the task you want to set.
Right mouse click en select "Set affinity" here is your choice of CPU core.
Click on OK

Tip: check always on beforehand the load on the CPU core during the play/activity, it has no use selecting core0 to the game if this core is reaching 90% load. Select the core that uses the lowest. This is also a handy when facing a lot of load on one or two CPU core. By selecting the game to core0 affinity and TrackIR to core1 as a sample, you can spread the CPUcore load.

That is all.

Pardon my ignorance Dutch..but i'm struggling a bit... "Go to the details tab and go to the name of the task you want to set" I can't even find any 'details' reference!...lol

"From head to tail, the Border Collie is all dog, and pure dog, fashioned by nature, and wise men, for a useful purpose..and thirled to it's traditions, by the very validity, of it's ancient, and honourable calling" -Eric Halsall
#4040178 - 11/24/14 12:52 PM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: heartc]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
You can find it under Processes Tab, then do what he said.

Beard

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4040194 - 11/24/14 01:46 PM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: heartc]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Sorry, but I also do not understand the tip - could you write it in detail, what to select where?

heartc, the tip of SlickWilhelm is important: let your advanced graphic card do the work
with Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering and stuff; maybe SlickWilhelm can post a screenprint of his NVidia settings?

It seems not to be usefull to lower quality settings.
Set the GPU up to overwrite application settings, and then raise most values in "Workshop" like this:

Aircraft: 5
Terrain Detail: 3 - 4
Scenery Detail: 4
Effects Quality: 5
Clouds: 5

I use an ATI RADEON graphic card (otherwise I could show you my settings), and the same CPU as you,
with only 4 GB memory and a Win 7 (32bit) system, and my frps are good.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4040202 - 11/24/14 02:03 PM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: heartc]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
If you are using a multi-core processor like a duo-core or quad-core, you can tell Windows which processor to dedicate the game on. I have a duo-core, so I could dedicate Trac IR to run on say the 0 core and WOFF to run on the 1 core, that way they would not be sharing a processor, and hopefully run the game faster.

This is not done in your graphic card settings the is done via your Task Manager which you get to by hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del and selecting Start Task Manager. When that comes up you select the Processes Tab which will give you a list of the programs you computer is currently running, Then in the CPU column you right click the program you want to set to a specific CPU (0 or 1 in my case) and that will dedicate the program operation to that CPU.

Beard

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4040253 - 11/24/14 03:01 PM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: heartc]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with WOFF or how it or CFS3 runs except it will run on 1 core. Most people run fine with no tweak/tools. The higher the clock speed the better it will run normally. Sometimes affinity tools help, so if this is an automated one and works for others who need it then great.

Way too many variables on PC hardware and installed/running/differently configured software and drivers is the main problem.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4040526 - 11/24/14 10:15 PM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: Burning_Beard]  
UK_Widowmaker Offline
Animal Cruelty sucks
UK_Widowmaker  Offline
Animal Cruelty sucks

Northumberland UK
Originally Posted By: Burning_Beard
If you are using a multi-core processor like a duo-core or quad-core, you can tell Windows which processor to dedicate the game on. I have a duo-core, so I could dedicate Trac IR to run on say the 0 core and WOFF to run on the 1 core, that way they would not be sharing a processor, and hopefully run the game faster.

This is not done in your graphic card settings the is done via your Task Manager which you get to by hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del and selecting Start Task Manager. When that comes up you select the Processes Tab which will give you a list of the programs you computer is currently running, Then in the CPU column you right click the program you want to set to a specific CPU (0 or 1 in my case) and that will dedicate the program operation to that CPU.

Beard

Thanks Burning Beard...got it now. Good Explanation smile

"From head to tail, the Border Collie is all dog, and pure dog, fashioned by nature, and wise men, for a useful purpose..and thirled to it's traditions, by the very validity, of it's ancient, and honourable calling" -Eric Halsall
#4040746 - 11/25/14 09:26 AM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: heartc]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: heartc
Hi there,

here's just a heads-up for someone who might suffer from the same problem I had until recently. I bought WOFF recently and was getting horrible (4 - 20) FPS even in QC without any other a/c around. My machine is a

Quad i5-4570@3.20 GHz
8 MB system RAM
GeForce GTX760
Windows 7 64 bit

so I figured something must be very wrong here. I checked the forums, tried all kinds of NVIDIA and in game settings but nothing fixed it, I could even lower everything down to 1 which gained me only some 5 FPS or so. I was short of reaching out to the devs in a semi-friendly manner trying to break a deal to get my money back when I ran into advise on some German forum I hadn't seen anywhere else: The guy wrote about how the only way to fix his FPS problems was to d/l this tool ,run it prior to booting up WOFF and select "automatic" in the upper right hand corner under "Mode". I tried it and now I'm getting 40-60 FPS even in the campaign, which is the normal range for most players it would seem. This tool deals with core management / assignment in some way, and it seems on my machine it was necessary for the CFS3 engine to run properly since it is so friggin old by now and seemingly couldn't deal with my CPU setup.

Thought you might want to hear about it in case you got a similar problem, and I couldn't find any topic on that tool in this forum here when searching for it afterwards. Since it was such a great help for me and really fixed the sim from totally unplayable to great, I think the devs might want to consider including this fix in the FAQ or something.

Regards,
heartc

If you get 4-20fps on a rig like that there is something seriously wrong with your setup....

We always develop WOFF on up to date hardware and never experience such chronic performance.

If you assembled the PC yourself make sure you have installed all the mother board drivers.

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#4041025 - 11/25/14 06:28 PM Re: Fix for low FPS on even decent rigs [Re: Burning_Beard]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Burning_Beard

Then in the CPU column you right click the program you want to set to a specific CPU...

Thank you, BBird, got it now!

I use a quad-core CPU; now I have set it like this:

Core 0
Core 1 = TrackIR
Core 2 = WOFF
Core 3

Does that make sense, or should I start with Core 0 ?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.