Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4026821 - 10/24/14 08:06 PM Cougar+Target deadzone problems  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I'm using a U2NXT Cougar + Warthog throttle running through Target.

Annoyingly, the stick has a small but noticeable deadzone of between 5 and 10mm on both axes, and I can't find anything in the software (either the GUI or script editor) which will let me reduce or eliminate it.

I did find reference to a 'hardware deadzone' setting for the Warthog (page 8 of the user manual pdf) but there's nothing similar for the Cougar.

What seems really strange is that if that setting is in the GUI for the Warthog stick, why is there no reference to it in the script editor docs? I use the scripts for my profiles anyway, and although the SCurve settings have no deadzones, the problem persists in all my profiles.

I'm guessing that because it's a slightly odd combination of hardware I'm not gonna have any luck finding a solution. However if anyone has any suggestions they'd be much appreciated.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4059883 - 01/05/15 01:37 AM Re: Cougar+Target deadzone problems [Re: Brun]  
Flobert Offline
Flobert  Offline

I created a sort of workaround/fix to this.
I already documented this on the gog forums, cause I did it to fix the problem in Wing Commander 1.
You can find my orignal post here: forum post

Since then I edited the script a little bit, but only to be able to use it more easily on other games where I want to figure out how to eliminate a joystick deadzone, i basicly just included the options of using the throttles right engine fuel flow switch to determine if I use a preset value or use the throttle slider for testing new values.

If you wan't the new code, you can access my script from my dropbox folder using this link: dropbox folder
The script is located under "Profiles Script\Wing Commander 1". This script is (probably) the final version, though a few buttons are added that will only work in Wing Commander 2 (which doesnt affect the fix/workaround to the large deadzone issue).

#4102253 - 04/06/15 03:23 PM Re: Cougar+Target deadzone problems [Re: Brun]  
LocNar Offline
LocNar  Offline

Necro post, but the solution to this problem is as easy, and one of the things that make the Cougar awesome. Download Foxy, and use Cougar Control Panel. No need for workarounds or scripting, this is native software made just for Cougar. CCP's uses, from Cougarworld:

Swap Axes
Reverse the direction of any axis
Apply different deadzones to any axis
Increase/Decrease the curving affect of any axis
Calibrate the Axes
Switch the HOTAS into different modes
Download preset files to the HOTAS
and much much more

There are several default profiles, as well as the ability to customize, including eliminating deadzones entirely if you want.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.