Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4025917 - 10/23/14 01:29 AM The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
"We worried that players might forget the genre in the wreckless rithm of modern entertainment industry, and that we might release a game too complicated and slow for players."

Albert Zhiltsov (aka =FB=Loft) from his announcement of the release of IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4025926 - 10/23/14 01:46 AM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
Force10 Online zombie
I'm just a
Force10  Online Zombie
I'm just a

CA
Hmmm…it didn't seem to hinder their ability to collect money for funding from the hardcore crowd though.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4025929 - 10/23/14 01:57 AM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
In the end, customers vote with their money by purchasing or not purchasing a product. For all we know Wings of Prey may have been a financial success. In the long run Loft may be right from a business standpoint. Only time will tell...

Thank god we've still got IL-2 1946 and IL-2 Cliffs of Dover!

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4025934 - 10/23/14 02:11 AM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
Logan Offline
Head Tater peeler
Logan  Offline
Head Tater peeler

I should put a face palm meme up right here but I think we all did that as we read it. I've said it before, it was a good middle of the road game until dd81 update. '46 is still going strong and TFcliffs (as I call it now) is as well. Throw in some DCS and us hard core sim freaks have a lot to be happy with. I hope they do sell a lot but I think we will see the unlocks go away if they don't.

Logan,
Head Tater peeler,OIC of nothing
#4025936 - 10/23/14 02:21 AM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
In the end, customers vote with their money by purchasing or not purchasing a product. For all we know Wings of Prey may have been a financial success. In the long run Loft may be right from a business standpoint. Only time will tell...

Wings of Prey was made into War Thunder was it not? Well the models, FM's etc, right?

Anyway, thank goodness there are other options. We shall wait and see if BoS becomes anything more than it is now.

#4025986 - 10/23/14 05:28 AM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: Logan]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted By: Logan
I should put a face palm meme up right here.

Here you go Sir.

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 10/23/14 05:30 AM.
#4026114 - 10/23/14 03:15 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
So does this mean they've simplified the flight model and damage mode? Disabled complex engine management?

I see all this griping and moaning but it's still not clear exactly how it's been watered down. So far it looks like people are p*ss*d about about the principle of trying to attract mainstream gamers...

Anyway, can't wait to try it for myself!

#4026135 - 10/23/14 03:58 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
It seems to me that they are in a breach of contract with all the hardcore early birds that purchased a license to fund the development of a game, which was not developed as per description entering that contractual relationship, which today has generated a civil wrong.

Any lawyer (or group of lawyers) specialized in class action lawsuits would certainly take a look at those circumstances to see if there is ground for action or create a precedent.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4026142 - 10/23/14 04:09 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: BlueHeron]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted By: BlueHeron
So does this mean they've simplified the flight model and damage mode? Disabled complex engine management?

I see all this griping and moaning but it's still not clear exactly how it's been watered down. So far it looks like people are p*ss*d about about the principle of trying to attract mainstream gamers...

Many flight simmers apparently have this elitist attitude that leads them to despise all "gamey" features, such as unlocks. Maybe it's because we are all grown-up men (some of us, like me, definitely old men winkngrin ) and can't really picture ourselves playing a "game" without a vague feeling of shame. So we pretend to enjoy "simulations" as if the name implied something radically different from a "game", and more in tune with our social standing.

Then some developers from Russia come around and provide a dream of simulation, richly detailed, mouth watering good, as realistic as they come, but they feel compelled to present it as a game, in order to draw in some more customers beyond the usual group of grumpy old geezers with their dusty creaky joysticks yep .

And the sky falls. The bubble is burst.

There is no more pretending: one can "man-up" and admit to himself that no matter our age or our place in the world we are all just little kids at heart, who like to fly and shoot down airplanes, and say to hell with it, and enjoy oneself with all the good stuff this GAME is able to provide, OR...

..ONE GETS INCREDIBLY MAD with the people who dared burst his bubble, as well as with those who unexplicably don't feel ashamed by the idea of enjoying a GAME.

So if you are gifted with self-irony and a healthy sense of humor you will most likely enjoy BOS. But if you are not, boy, you'd better stay the heck away from it! winkngrin

#4026143 - 10/23/14 04:09 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Tell me your joking, Gunny!

#4026146 - 10/23/14 04:12 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Gunnyhighway
It seems to me that they are in a breach of contract with all the hardcore early birds that purchased a license to fund the development of a game, which was not developed as per description entering that contractual relationship, which today has generated a civil wrong.

Except that's not what happened. They preordered a game based on a description and were granted access to the beta before its release as a result.
This was not crowd funded. It was not on Kickstarter. The game was not dependent on the early buyers to complete development. It is dependent on total sales, early and after release, for continued development post-release.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4026163 - 10/23/14 04:59 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: lokitexas]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
Originally Posted By: lokitexas
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

Wings of Prey was made into War Thunder was it not? Well the models, FM's etc, right?

Anyway, thank goodness there are other options. We shall wait and see if BoS becomes anything more than it is now.

Birds of Steel for consoles is the one that was made into War Thunder. I know closed beta for WT started in Aug of '12, alpha was somewhere around late '11 for WT.

Wings of Prey was Birds of Prey on console.

But I digress, I know some of the skin templates and such from WoP can be used in WT, but that may just be more because of maybe a certain way they prefer to implement things in their games. Maybe they did use some assets from Wings to make Birds of Steel/WT but at this point I imagine that work has been redone, especially the FM's as even though it may not seem like it, have varied greatly on a lot of planes.

#4026180 - 10/23/14 05:36 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Even the BOS forums went retard in a Blitz with the new WT population.
Amazing future this title has I'd say.

#4026185 - 10/23/14 05:39 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
swampyankee Offline
swampyankee  Offline

Nibbio said,
"because we are all grown-up men (some of us, like me, definitely old men winkngrin ) and can't really picture ourselves playing a "game" without a vague feeling of shame. So we pretend to enjoy "simulations" as if the name implied something radically different from a "game", and more in tune with our social standing"

Yep, that's me, old and shamefacedly playing silly PC games.

Last edited by swampyankee; 10/23/14 05:40 PM.
#4026191 - 10/23/14 05:53 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
D13th_Korn Offline
D13th_Korn  Offline

Right the FM looks exceptional screwyscrewyscrewy

Plus there's snow tracks. Now where's my wallet?

#4026194 - 10/23/14 05:59 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: KodiakJac]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Nice post, Nibbio.

It's a video game (we know it, our wives know it wink ) yet it's also an exiting experience and a learning opportunity that makes it a serious hobby. Why is it so hard for everyone to accept that it can be both? sigh

#4026204 - 10/23/14 06:22 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: BlueHeron]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Tell me your joking, Gunny!

You're joking, Gunny!

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4026210 - 10/23/14 06:38 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: nibbio]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: nibbio

Many flight simmers apparently have this elitist attitude that leads them to despise all "gamey" features, such as unlocks. Maybe it's because we are all grown-up men (some of us, like me, definitely old men winkngrin ) and can't really picture ourselves playing a "game" without a vague feeling of shame. So we pretend to enjoy "simulations" as if the name implied something radically different from a "game", and more in tune with our social standing.

Then some developers from Russia come around and provide a dream of simulation, richly detailed, mouth watering good, as realistic as they come, but they feel compelled to present it as a game, in order to draw in some more customers beyond the usual group of grumpy old geezers with their dusty creaky joysticks yep .

And the sky falls. The bubble is burst.

There is no more pretending: one can "man-up" and admit to himself that no matter our age or our place in the world we are all just little kids at heart, who like to fly and shoot down airplanes, and say to hell with it, and enjoy oneself with all the good stuff this GAME is able to provide, OR...

..ONE GETS INCREDIBLY MAD with the people who dared burst his bubble, as well as with those who unexplicably don't feel ashamed by the idea of enjoying a GAME.

So if you are gifted with self-irony and a healthy sense of humor you will most likely enjoy BOS. But if you are not, boy, you'd better stay the heck away from it! winkngrin

Ma que?....We are all children germinally, as we use brain parts that we already had when we were children, since the human brain stop growing around 28-32.

Then adults know the difference between sims and arcade games.

I think the shame for an adult is associated to the feeling of being mislead or fooled "AGAIN" by a developing company with very few recourse.

We all know the saying "once fooled, shame on you, twice fooled shame on ME!"....And the bubble burst when the pressure is not equalized anymore.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4026230 - 10/23/14 07:25 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
[quote=Gunnyhighway]Ma que?....We are all children germinally, as we use brain parts that we already had when we were children, since the human brain stop growing around 28-32.[quote]

Our most basic brain function would go farther back than this, that being the reptilian portion of our brain.

The reptilian part of our brain is considered reliable, but somewhat rigid and compulsive. Hmmm what other creature would that describe, oh yes THE FLIGHT SIMMMER smile

#4026249 - 10/23/14 07:58 PM Re: The Official Dumbing Down of the IL-2 Game Series [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Originally Posted By: Gunnyhighway

Any lawyer (or group of lawyers) specialized in class action lawsuits would certainly take a look at those circumstances to see if there is ground for action or create a precedent.

I thought this was a joke, but apparently not? Prepaid is a punt, it's as simple as that. Anyone who buys a PC game in this day, before the first patch is released, is not buying a finished product, and should be well aware of that.

I'm out of here indefinitely, it's embarrassing to be around so much butthurt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.