Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4021821 - 10/13/14 05:27 PM How to get into train siming?  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

So I've always had an interest in trains, and would like to evolve that into train siming. Years ago I picked up the first Trainz, but that was the only train sim product I've ever used. What is the current sim of choice? My primary interests are long haul freight routes. I've got interest that run from steam to modern, so I'm open to most time periods as well.

Thanks!

-Jenrick

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4022524 - 10/15/14 12:39 AM Re: How to get into train siming? [Re: jenrick]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Hi Jenrick,

There is a bit of choice nowadays when getting into train simulation. People still use the venerable Microsoft Trainsimulator (albeit mostly heavily modded) as well as the various iterations of Trainz. N3V will be putting out a new version of Trainz, called Trainz: A New Era (aka TANE)which is supposed to have better physics, better graphics and better building tools.

You could also go the route of Trainsimulator 2015, a train sim from DoveTail Games (sold via Steam). It offers quite a few extra routes and add-ons as DLC and is well ensconced in Euro rail (primarily UK and German) although does have a decent North American content list too. Graphically this is a fantastic sim. If you are concerned with the costs, DTG often puts their catalog up for lowered sales prices from time to time (usually anywhere between 20 and 50% off the retail price, but I have seen 75% and 80% in the recent past as well). The editor is comprehensive and there are lots of community made routes, stock etc. available.

The last one I would recommend is Run 8. Run 8 is a train sim that is very accurate in detail and physics, has a nice level of fidelity (but quick to get the hang of although hard to master) that has the added delight of multiplayer. Multiplayer with a group of dedicated train afficianados is brilliant. Note that Run 8 currently is American rail with their routes in California-- the Mojave Subdivision, Cajon Sub, and Needles Sub-- each route is connectable and it is very accurate. Lots of community support is available.

Hope that helps,

Kind regards,
Dave

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
#4022673 - 10/15/14 10:20 AM Re: How to get into train siming? [Re: jenrick]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Dave,

How would you compare Run 8 vs TS201X in terms of graphics? Is TS better? Does Run 8 support TrackIR? How would you compare the two with regards to simulation/physics? Can you provide examples of how, in your opinion, one is better than the other?

Lastly, if I were to get into Run 8 and hope to do freight routes, what should I be looking at?

Thanks!

- Ice
#4024459 - 10/19/14 04:49 PM Re: How to get into train siming? [Re: jenrick]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

Thanks for the replies. Run 8 looks intriguing, and was not one I had heard of before. I know TS15 has a ton of DLC available for purchase, are there any of them that are must have in terms of sim functionality or are they all just for various routes or stock that interest the simmer?

-Jenrick

#4025493 - 10/22/14 04:31 AM Re: How to get into train siming? [Re: jenrick]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Originally Posted By: jenrick
Thanks for the replies. Run 8 looks intriguing, and was not one I had heard of before. I know TS15 has a ton of DLC available for purchase, are there any of them that are must have in terms of sim functionality or are they all just for various routes or stock that interest the simmer?

-Jenrick

None of the DLC for TS20xx is needed. That said, there are a lot of routes available and each comes with some appropriate locomotive power and rolling stock. The other DLC content is pretty much variations of locomotive power (often with some rolling stock incl.) that you can then run on the routes you have/have added. There are also some 3rd party add-ons offered by Just Trains and Aerosoft to name a couple. Make sure you read the content list before you buy so you won't be disappointed.

Hope that helps Jenrick

edit: It used to be that if you were into building routes in TS20xx you needed a couple of DLC...Isle of Wight for one (and I can't recall the second) in order to have some important scenery bits-- that may or may not be the case now as there are 'asset packs' available. You might check at Trainsim.com or UKTrainsim.

Last edited by Leaf85; 10/22/14 04:35 AM. Reason: added more info

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.