Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4025363 - 10/21/14 09:14 PM Squadrons moving to BOS?  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

I admit I have not kept up with BOS, other than some of the more obvious happenings that have got the community up in arms.

For years our local group flew il2 and mostly with missions created by some of our local guys. I have been out of it for a bit and hoped that CLOD would have given us something a bit more up to date to fly with. We never moved over to it and the local guys still fly il2.

Then we hoped BOS would be the thing and it might be. For myself I just want something a bit more up to date, graphically enhanced but still with the MP fun that il2 has given us for years.

It's possible that BOS hasn't advanced enough from beta to know this but does it look like it could be good for squadron based missions in MP? CLOD apparently had a reasonable mission editor and you could do some interesting things with it. I don't know about BOS.

I read about the unlocks, who knows what the final decision will be there but it has me worried about the freedom that mission makers might have. E.g., right now a sqdn might fly out for a mission with every player in a particular aircraft with particular weapons, ammo etc. Is this no longer possible as player A might not have unlocked what the mission maker needs them to have?

Amazing how well il2 has been over the years, then the clod mess, then the DCS ww2 mess, the the BOS mess. It's hard to read it, it seems whatever the original il2 team put their hands in to gives some trouble and their original formula worked so well.

#4025364 - 10/21/14 09:49 PM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
BoS is nothing like old IL2. Maybe 6 months after release...maybe. IF your looking for a more up to date graphics type IL246 CLoD is as close as you can get right now, with making missions etc. Look at the ATAG forums for the latest Team Fusion patches.

There is no FMB right now in BoS, and wont be at release. Also in order to get certain weapons for your plane in MP you will need to play the SP campaign. Which is also just a bunch of quick missions put together to grind xp.

#4025404 - 10/22/14 12:07 AM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

Thanks Loki, I didn't know there would be no FMB right away but had the idea about the unlocks. Hope that won't be there as for a bunch of guys that all know each other and are primarily MP, we want to start together on the same playing field.

#4025430 - 10/22/14 01:09 AM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
I would be careful listening to anything Loki says - he has ZERO credibility.
BoS is already far superior to the old IL2 when it was released. He's pretty much trolling at this point.
Look at his posting history - nuff said.

#4025438 - 10/22/14 01:26 AM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
metalnwood

1st - il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad is not a "il-2 II" - despite the "brand" and the plane.

Is a NEW il-2, so don't imagine move to then and do things like are used in il-2.46 - mainly COOP (mode not available). wink

The biggest issue will be the lack of ME at release.

Their position is provided the actual ME - based on RoF one - for "few" supporters, under NDA.

CBP is short for Battle of Stalingrad in Russian.

In the future - if game are a commercial success - a new ME will be available.

Actually MP is basically 4 official servers - Air Quake style with two difficulty modes.
And some from 3rd party - one, the Syndicate run a "Moving Dogfight" style mission.

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 10/22/14 01:29 AM.
#4025449 - 10/22/14 01:58 AM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: Sokol1]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Sokol1
In the future - if game are a commercial success - a new ME will be available.

This is the most recent written communication I can find from Loft regarding the availability of a FMB/ME in the future:

=FB=LOFT, on 07 May 2014 - 15:41, said:

>>>>>BraveSirRobin, on 07 May 2014 - 10:32, said:

>>>>>Can you estimate how long before we will get access to the mission builder?

Not soon. We don`t have anyone on station named "editor interface and usability". For development we use ROF editor as-is. But believe me this is not what you and community want. This system tooooooooo complex to have fun. And only if we can rise money from customers after release, we can spend it to hire someone talented to do this job.

For guys we know from ROF we can provide editor as-is but not for sharing. And they can start mission creating at the middle of summer.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/6251-discussion-questions-developers/page-3?hl= customers Post #102

And as we know 1CGS and other forum members have been very quick to point to information posted on the BoS forum over a year ago explaining the actions of the devs. So until we see something more recent that is in writing from Loft I think this stands.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4025459 - 10/22/14 02:30 AM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

Thanks for the replies, most of our guys are now playing co-ops. over the years as number dwindled a bit the dogfighting got a bit stale, too few people with a few dominating more than others so a lot of stuff is now coop.

IL2 still gets a lot of use so its not so bad but there was hope an updated il2 (like) would hit the shelves supporting all the new hardware we all like to buy and use these days.

Thanks guys.

#4025468 - 10/22/14 02:56 AM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: Gambit21]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: Gambit21
BoS is already far superior to the old IL2 when it was released. He's pretty much trolling at this point.

I bought the game. I have played it. I have an opinion. Nothing I said was untrue.

If you actually read the OP's questions and not just blindly coming to defend BoS you might understand what he and his squad mates are looking for. Obviously its not in BoS.

Get over your personal insults. - nuff said.

#4025502 - 10/22/14 05:46 AM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: Gambit21]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted By: Gambit21

That is a bunch of SH#te and you know it gambit21. Loki just spoke the truth, if anything you are FanBoy Trolling. Metalnwood, you would be smart to wait for full release in the next few weeks and see the many Reviews that will be available. Then you can weigh the thought of purchasing for yourself. BOS, as a game works, it is quite functional(all the parts seem to work well). I have had very few technical problems or CTDs with it. BOS has very nice Graphics, a very good feeling of flight and a big Stalingrad snow map. The problem is 1C/777 have SNAFUed BOS by by making graphics settings presets(non customizable), campaign is QMB non connected mission, no Historical Squads, no custom pilot names or background story, Xpoints grind, which must be done to unlock upgrades & skins(no customer made skins) for both SP & MP, pretty much non adjustable settings for missions(Sp or Campaign) they are preset, Normal, Expert--->no Ai pilot, no external views, no icons etc....) you cannot make adjustments to normal or expert difficulty to play the game the way you might like to and the way point and GUI Systems are completely arcade. The final thing that confirms this is not superior to IL2 1946 or IL2 CLOD is that there will be no FMB at release and by the Devs own words, not for at least 6 months except to certain partners(friends, trusted customers?) of 1C/777. I bought BOS before EA was even released and read about it and tried it through EA and liked it pretty much until about 3 weeks ago when 1C/777 made the current changes that have SNAFUed BOS. In their own poll(picture attached, BOS Forum, intiated by Jason) you can see the Communities disapproval of the unlocks system alone, not to mention the uproar over the disappointing Campaign and the non user adjustable interface for graphics, the non adjustable mission setup presets, having to SP grind for multiplayer upgrades and not having a FMB. Even with this poll so clearly showing that the Community(Paying Customers) wants it changed, there has been no word from 1C/777 as to if they will do anything. I imagine it is to close to release for that .(???) I am not a BOS hater(see post in picture), as Jason so politely terms even those that state the facts about the current state of BOS, as a matter of fact I have been flying BOS lately to see what all of the updates have been changing, but the facts as stated above are exactly that, FACTS(decisions made by 1C/777 and can be seen if you play the game: no bias here), and none of these primary issues have been addressed in the game or even talked about much at all by the Devs in the BOS Forum. There is no attitude or hate in the above statement, so please do not inject any.
Note , if you look at the BOS Forums, criticism is not tolerated well, even if posted civilly, and many such posts from registered members and EA owners of BOS have been deleted as were all of the Metacritic reviews about 2 weeks ago. Please keep this in mind when you read the threads on the BOS Forum.
IMHO,(everything above is unbiased fact, found in BOS)the true IL2 successor is in the picture and coming along nicely. It remains to be seen if BOS will break free from the SNAFUed situation it finds itself in now. Will it become an IL2 quality simulator, or remain an arcade game similar to WT? Only time will tell.

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 10/22/14 04:30 PM.
#4025514 - 10/22/14 07:05 AM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Without the ability to create individual skins, squadrons and usable FMB BoS is catering primarily the single fighter, single player crowd.
It will take quite a few changes/improvements to get BoS the ability to become a true successor to IL2-1946.

#4025596 - 10/22/14 01:36 PM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It took 5 years to get Il-2 to 1946. Those of us who remember its end of 2001 release remember its problems as well.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4025609 - 10/22/14 01:52 PM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

My squad had 4 of it's members buy BoS in the hopes of switching over but as each of them played they all lost hope in the game and the developers. They now are vocal enough that no one else in the squad has any plans to buy the game.

#4025637 - 10/22/14 02:53 PM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
juri_js Offline
juri_js  Offline

Quote from Loft in the Russian forum:
Quote:
Work on additional software starts tomorrow. Viewer for authors skins, Editor and Dedicated Server. First you will likely get a server, and then the viewer and later the entire editor, will be updated and update the game for a long time.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/2045-...-30#entry219145

#4025659 - 10/22/14 03:48 PM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: Jedi Master]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
It took 5 years to get Il-2 to 1946. Those of us who remember its end of 2001 release remember its problems as well.

Wikipedia:
"IL-2 Sturmovik (&#1048;&#1083;-2 &#1064;&#1090;&#1091;&#1088;&#1084;&#1086;&#1074;&#1080;&#1082;) is a 2001 World War II combat flight simulator video game and is the first installment in the IL-2 Sturmovik series. The release focused on the air battles of the Eastern Front.[1][2] It was named after the Soviet Ilyushin Il-2 ground-attack fighter, which played a prominent role in this theatre and is the single most produced military aircraft design to date.[3] Along with its sequels, IL-2 Sturmovik is considered one of the leading World War II flight simulators.[4]"

"The game featured 31 flyable planes and additional 40 non-flyable planes (available as opponents). One could play as Australia, France, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, the United Kingdom, the USA, and the USSR.The game included a multi-player feature which supports up to 100 players online over the internet. Free internet services such as Xfire, Hyperlobby, and The All-Seeing Eye, were used for setting up online game sessions."

"IL-2 Sturmovik and subsequent games in the series have received overall good reviews. The review aggregator Metacritic gives IL-2 Sturmovik a score of 91 out of 100,[6] while GameRankings, another review aggregator, gives a score of 91.31%.[7]
Gamespot rated IL-2 Sturmovik at 9.2 out of 10.[8]
IGN called the game "impressive" and gave a rating of 8.3 out of 10.[9]
Igromania rated IL-2: Sturmovik at 10 out of 10[10]
Meristation rated IL-2: Sturmovik at 10 out of 10[11]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL-2_Sturmovik_(video_game_series)

I owned IL2 Sturmovik the day it came to a store near me, as did many. It was far from perfect, I agree, but look at the reviews and read them. It will be interesting to see how BOS fairs against its predecessor. here is a quote from back in November 20, 2001 IGN, that still applies today and yet is sadly missing in BOS.

"As with nearly all decent flight sims, you can adjust the realism to suit your abilities. I found the relaxed settings genuinely enjoyable but I don't think it will satisfy gamers who are looking for more of an action-oriented model like that of Crimson Skies. Even if they do manage to get around the runway traffic, the flight model is still a bit rough. But the sim aspects of the game are where the real joy is anyway. "

It is easy to see that 1C/777 is aiming at the action oriented crowd(hence action point, ROFLMAO! pun intended), but at the same time forgetting and not including the flexibility that Flight Simmers of very differing abilities loved about IL2 Sturmovik. Anyway, here are the reviews of the Original IL2 Sturmovik. Reading these brings back good memories of my first WWII Flight Sim.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/11/28/il-2-sturmovik-2
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_il2complete_pc
http://www.gamespot.com/il-2-sturmovik/reviews/ Very interesting player reviews
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/il-2-sturmovik
http://www.simhq.com/air-combat/il-2-sturmovik-part1.html

As for anyone that says there was not a good campaign in IL2 Stumovik, please read the review of the Campaign generator in this thread, CombatSim.com
http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/2001/12/il2-rev/

BOS is officially released, 10/22/2014. I am going to use it as much as I can in the next week and then give it my review here on an impartial Forum.

S!Blade<><

[u][/u]

#4025946 - 10/23/14 03:02 AM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: metalnwood
I admit I have not kept up with BOS, other than some of the more obvious happenings that have got the community up in arms.

For years our local group flew il2 and mostly with missions created by some of our local guys. I have been out of it for a bit and hoped that CLOD would have given us something a bit more up to date to fly with. We never moved over to it and the local guys still fly il2.

Then we hoped BOS would be the thing and it might be. For myself I just want something a bit more up to date, graphically enhanced but still with the MP fun that il2 has given us for years.

It's possible that BOS hasn't advanced enough from beta to know this but does it look like it could be good for squadron based missions in MP? CLOD apparently had a reasonable mission editor and you could do some interesting things with it. I don't know about BOS.

I read about the unlocks, who knows what the final decision will be there but it has me worried about the freedom that mission makers might have. E.g., right now a sqdn might fly out for a mission with every player in a particular aircraft with particular weapons, ammo etc. Is this no longer possible as player A might not have unlocked what the mission maker needs them to have?

Amazing how well il2 has been over the years, then the clod mess, then the DCS ww2 mess, the the BOS mess. It's hard to read it, it seems whatever the original il2 team put their hands in to gives some trouble and their original formula worked so well.

BoS is a good sim. It is different from IL2 and CoD .. I always felt that they should follow the IL2 model too.. but they chose not to. What they did do however was make a very good sim. It is different as I said in that there are field mods and upgrades that you have yo unlock through a single player campaign.. but like many of the mods for sale in RoF it is not pay to win.. or grind to win. I guarantee you that it may be slow at first but eventually squads will begin to migrate to BoS.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4026150 - 10/23/14 04:19 PM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
BoS has a solid beginning - much better than the original IL2 - that's the truth.
Is is perfect? No, but I have faith it will continue to develop.

It's pretty simple for me.

#4026157 - 10/23/14 04:42 PM Re: Squadrons moving to BOS? [Re: metalnwood]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada

To say BOS is a better flying game than IL2 is true as far as I'm concerned. But that's where the comparison ends

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.