Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4024203 - 10/18/14 07:43 PM Who's the bad a$$ now WOFF? And a AI question...  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Trying firmly to discipline myself to fly smarter and not harder, i.e., trying not to be killed and wounded so often, I restarted my Jasta 11 campaign in April 1917. First mission on April 1 I was part of a Kette and we had no contact.
Dawn , April 2, 1917. Apparently impressed at my ability not to be killed the previous day the squadron leader assigns me to lead one other flyer in a patrol around some friendly airfields 10 miles to our south. While getting my cockpit in order my partner takes off without me, his leader, but once in the air he assumes position on my wing. Over the target I observe some anti-aircraft bursts off to the southwest. For whatever reason my AI pal breaks off to the right and disappears. Fly toward the Archie and telling myself of my new philosophy I will play this smart. Getting closer observe three aircraft. Since I seem to have a steady diet of N17's in this time period I tell myself I am either going to break off or make a single pass if the situation is excellent. Get closer and see three BE2's.
Finally! Bloody April for someone other than myself! Flying smart I take the long way around and fly up low under the tail of the last machine and let him have it. He falls off to the right and burst into flames. I make a big circle and come back under the tail of the second machine. After a couple seconds of shooting I see tracers flying around me from the lead aircraft's observer. I get a couple of hits and am getting ready to break off when target #2 falls away. Alright! Can I get three? Nope! As I close under his tail my engine sputters and shuts down. Apparently those couple of hits was enough to hole my fuel tank and now out of gas I glide to make a landing at the very fields I was defending. Oh well. Not dead or wounded, and with two victories, I am happy enough.

Now to the AI: I have noticed this before on a airfield defense mission. Sometimes when the AI gets near a friendly field they appear to go into a landing pattern. Even if it's in a middle of a mission and not their Home field. Anyone else notice this behavior?

#4024210 - 10/18/14 07:55 PM Re: Who's the bad a$$ now WOFF? And a AI question... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
Trying firmly to discipline myself to fly smarter and not harder, i.e., trying not to be killed and wounded so often, I restarted my Jasta 11 campaign in April 1917. First mission on April 1 I was part of a Kette and we had no contact.
Dawn , April 2, 1917. Apparently impressed at my ability not to be killed the previous day the squadron leader assigns me to lead one other flyer in a patrol around some friendly airfields 10 miles to our south. While getting my cockpit in order my partner takes off without me, his leader, but once in the air he assumes position on my wing. Over the target I observe some anti-aircraft bursts off to the southwest. For whatever reason my AI pal breaks off to the right and disappears. Fly toward the Archie and telling myself of my new philosophy I will play this smart. Getting closer observe three aircraft. Since I seem to have a steady diet of N17's in this time period I tell myself I am either going to break off or make a single pass if the situation is excellent. Get closer and see three BE2's.
Finally! Bloody April for someone other than myself! Flying smart I take the long way around and fly up low under the tail of the last machine and let him have it. He falls off to the right and burst into flames. I make a big circle and come back under the tail of the second machine. After a couple seconds of shooting I see tracers flying around me from the lead aircraft's observer. I get a couple of hits and am getting ready to break off when target #2 falls away. Alright! Can I get three? Nope! As I close under his tail my engine sputters and shuts down. Apparently those couple of hits was enough to hole my fuel tank and now out of gas I glide to make a landing at the very fields I was defending. Oh well. Not dead or wounded, and with two victories, I am happy enough.

Now to the AI: I have noticed this before on a airfield defense mission. Sometimes when the AI gets near a friendly field they appear to go into a landing pattern. Even if it's in a middle of a mission and not their Home field. Anyone else notice this behavior?

I haven't seen it, but then, I'm sure I haven't seen all that WOFF has to offer.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4024234 - 10/18/14 08:58 PM Re: Who's the bad a$$ now WOFF? And a AI question... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand

Yes Sir. Why I do not know but it seems to be the norm.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4024237 - 10/18/14 09:11 PM Re: Who's the bad a$$ now WOFF? And a AI question... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Thanks. Glad I wasn't just imagining things or misinterpreting them.
The first time I saw it I threw on "Labels" and my flight was definitely in a landing pattern.
This time I did not have a chance to turn labels on as I flew to engage the enemy but I suspect that may be what my wingman was up to.

Another one for the "Wishlist" I'm afraid.

#4024251 - 10/18/14 09:40 PM Re: Who's the bad a$$ now WOFF? And a AI question... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
It could be WAD. Perhaps your wingman decided "Nah, I'm not feeling it today" and didn't want to fight. Seems like he was in a bad mood anyway if he took off without you!

#4024261 - 10/18/14 10:02 PM Re: Who's the bad a$$ now WOFF? And a AI question... [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Very true!
I didn't like his looks. And he probably would have rammed me in my moment of glory.
He's one of those non-historical pilots anyway. Slacker!

EDIT: Actually had time in the real world to fly a 2nd mission today. An afternoon mission after the morning one above.
Flew a two man line patrol with Sebastian Festner but had no contacts though I did fly to some distant flak bursts but found nothing. Anyway my AI pal from the morning (Gunther) flew in the afternoon with someone and came back claiming two kills -same as me from the morning. Obviously I better keep my eye on him.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus