Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4021549 - 10/12/14 09:41 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Many of those features aren't "military grade" either. In most mil applications there's an instructor/observer watching in real time that would just say "you hit a tree. you dead. try again." There's no need for automatic feedback and damage modeling like this. For missile impacts the instructor probably has a preset damage result (and probably triggered the SAM to fire). Damage, scoring, and AI are low priorities for most military training tools because the player is not interested in cheating or getting a high score. They want to learn and then apply those lessons to real life.

What makes a sim mil grade is that the physics, instrumentation, and weapon behaviors are real so they don't teach bad habits.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4021553 - 10/12/14 10:03 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: scrim]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: scrim
Let's see. Trees that aren't physical objects and invisible to the AI. BMPs far more dangerous than actual AAA, essentially zero shrapnel damage, every flying vehicle being able to absorb absurd amounts of damage. Hueys can fly after direct A-A missile hits, A-10s can sometimes fly after more than half a dozen MANPAD hits, B-52s never go down from just one A-A missile, B-1s can take even more, etc. This is why I currently consider DCS to be a game, as opposed to a simulator of any sort.

If SB had allowed T-72s to take several SABOT hits point blank in the rear, see and travel through buildings of any size and shape, I'm fairly certain it would not have been used as a military simulator. Why DCS should be held to lower standards is as per usual beyond me.

You'd be really REALLY surprised to see what's in a military grade flight simulator then.

Don't forget, your expectation based on personal preferences have nothing to do with reality of things.
So to speak.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4021554 - 10/12/14 10:04 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: Frederf]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Frederf
Many of those features aren't "military grade" either. In most mil applications there's an instructor/observer watching in real time that would just say "you hit a tree. you dead. try again." There's no need for automatic feedback and damage modeling like this. For missile impacts the instructor probably has a preset damage result (and probably triggered the SAM to fire). Damage, scoring, and AI are low priorities for most military training tools because the player is not interested in cheating or getting a high score. They want to learn and then apply those lessons to real life.

What makes a sim mil grade is that the physics, instrumentation, and weapon behaviors are real so they don't teach bad habits.

Exactly what I meant. +1.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4021563 - 10/12/14 10:49 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
BillyRiley Offline
BillyRiley  Offline

Colchester, England
Originally Posted By: Wrecking Crew
Originally Posted By: BillyRiley
As for the servers not being full...I have NEVER been on a DCS server. Two reasons are 1. I don't care much for online gaming and, more importantly for this sim, 2. I'm just crap at it...and there's plenty of people who are not.

I invite you to try my Hollo Pointe server and the variety of missions there. Lots of folks join the server and 'do their own thing', with little or no chat or Teamspeak. The missions will give you feedback of your progress, so you know that you are making a diff. The #1 rule is no team killing or risk a permanent ban.

WC

Thanks - I may well pop on one day.

I'm currently lame at them all. Mig-21 is getting my attention at the moment, but I've only done startup, taxi, take off and landing...no weapons as yet.

#4021570 - 10/12/14 11:20 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: komemiute]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Originally Posted By: komemiute
You'd be really REALLY surprised to see what's in a military grade flight simulator then.

Don't forget, your expectation based on personal preferences have nothing to do with reality of things.
So to speak.

Oh, so when people call DCS a military grade simulator, they add "military grade" to explain why some things are outright badly made? I don't think that's the impression most people get.

I think you mixed the second part up. "What DCS currently does has nothing to do with the reality of things" would be more true to say of some things. E.g. the only instances of B-52s being hit by A-A missiles have seen them crash within seconds of a single hit. No plane on Earth that I know of has ever been recorded to survive more than a single MANPAD hit. I've not heard of any helicopter that's ever taken even one missile hit and kept on flying. And as far as I know, trees are nasty to even run into, let alone fly into wink

I consider DCS to be a very good game and sim in many aspects, but some are currently just badly made, to the extent where the overall experience can hardly be referred to as a simulation of reality. Ignoring those deficiencies is as bad as ignoring everything that's good about the game.

#4021673 - 10/13/14 06:03 AM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: scrim]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
It's not often that I ask for a TL;DR, but really...

What's the summary of this?

Scrim,
You were the first person to post in response to my OP. Maybe, if you really want to discuss this, you could be bothered to take the 3 minutes or so and read my OP. Then I think you might understand MY point, even if it's not everyone else's.

I think, to some extent, the flaws you identify in DCS prevent you from getting the big picture. I'm not saying you're wrong. Bugs are bugs. Missing features are missing features. I won't disagree with you that when you collide with a tree you should suffer damage from it. Or that vehicles should take proximity damage from weapons. And so on.

Rather than focus on the simulator's shortcomings, perhaps you can take some time to appreciate its features. That is sort of the point of the thread, and the OP. DCS is an extremely powerful tool. In the hands of the right people who know what they are doing, you can conduct training that is very close to real-life.

Most of us, though, are more like BillyReilly. I know I am. I want to play a game. I want to fight the war and have my missions make a difference in the virtual world. DCS falls short on this.

At any rate, I think if we were all entertained more by the whole DCS experience we'd be more likely to excuse bugs or missing features.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4021674 - 10/13/14 06:20 AM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: scrim]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii

Oh, so when people call DCS a military grade simulator, they add "military grade" to explain why some things are outright badly made? I don't think that's the impression most people get.

I'm arguing with you about this, and I said I wouldn't. But I'll provide a couple of brief examples to illustrate why your position is wrong.

On one occasion I took off in the simulator (this was 1999-2001 timeframe) to fly some instrument approaches at Kaneohe. We shot a few approaches and then dialed up Honolulu International and flew over there to shoot an ILS. I had the weather cranked down to like a 200' ceiling. We navigated onto the ILS, shot the approach and then when we broke out of the clouds....nothing. No lights, no airport, nothing. WTF? So we paused the sim, removed the weather, and would you believe that Honolulu International was completely missing? Barber's Point is in there. Kona is in there. But HNL was completely missing. I never figured out if it was a bug or missing feature. Nevertheless, despite this being a multi-million dollar simulator, the main airport in the Hawaiian Islands was not depicted on land...although in fairness the navaids were.

The other point, that happened on multiple occasions, is that you could crash the sim. Not crash as in plow into the ground, as in if you had too much data being fed into the sim at one time, an adversary submarine with too many buoys in the water and you dropped too many weapons or just added too much "stuff" at one time, the sim would crash just like a CTD on the computer. You'd have to pause what you were doing, reboot all the computers, and then 10 minutes later after a head call try to mentally get back into the moment when the system came back up. No #%&*$#.

On another point, I don't know if a better adversary simulator is currently available to U.S. fighter pilots than the DCS MiG-21 module. In my article, I found that back in the 70s when they used simulators to fight F-4s they would configure one of the F-4s with the MiG-21s flight model, but the pilot was still flying in his F-4 simulator. Now in 2014 I don't know how adversary aircraft are simulated for, say, and F/A-18 pilot. I "think" the way they used to do it is at an instructor console with a much lower fidelity generic cockpit through which the instructor could basically control an adversary aircraft. I don't know, though, whether because it's classified or simply doesn't exist, if there is a fully mocked up MiG-21/29/etc. simulator where an adversary simulator pilot can fly against a U.S. fighter.

Theoretically, then, we may actually exceed military capability to model adversary aircraft. Think about that.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4021681 - 10/13/14 07:18 AM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
msalama Offline
msalama  Offline

Quote:
I've not heard of any helicopter that's ever taken even one missile hit and kept on flying.

See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw2mEbppD6A

#4021689 - 10/13/14 09:35 AM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: komemiute]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94

I got some insight and I tell you- DCS is pretty much spot on as a Military Grade Simulator.

FMS or CT/IPS-E? wink

[P.S. If you are not comfortable with answering this on a public board, I'd understand that completely.]

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4021727 - 10/13/14 12:36 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

We have two (S5) and one (S1). No probs.

I'm surprised... biggrin
You @ JIF? Or Neuburg/Donau?
I got the feeling we might have met. smile

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4021728 - 10/13/14 12:38 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: scrim]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

So to speak.

I think you mixed the second part up. "What DCS currently does has nothing to do with the reality of things" would be more true to say of some things. E.g. the only instances of B-52s being hit by A-A missiles have seen them crash within seconds of a single hit. No plane on Earth that I know of has ever been recorded to survive more than a single MANPAD hit. I've not heard of any helicopter that's ever taken even one missile hit and kept on flying. And as far as I know, trees are nasty to even run into, let alone fly into wink

I consider DCS to be a very good game and sim in many aspects, but some are currently just badly made, to the extent where the overall experience can hardly be referred to as a simulation of reality. Ignoring those deficiencies is as bad as ignoring everything that's good about the game.

Please read this...
Originally Posted By: Komemiute

Originally Posted By: Frederf

Exactly what I meant. +1.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4021755 - 10/13/14 01:26 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Scrim, adding to what others have already written, one probably should point out that ED most likely did not put those flaws that you mention in there deliberately. These are not design features; rather, those are bugs...or concessions that were made due to technical problems.

Every software product has glitches and bugs; I suppose those in military grade simulators just get removed a lot quicker, though, because nation states do pay a lot more - and are more inclined to sue a developer - than your average Joe. wink

The biggest difference may be the input devices: using keyboard, mouse and monitor is not the same as having a "fully clickable" cockpit replica, not to mention something like a "Dome". wink

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4021782 - 10/13/14 02:42 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

In response, I'd like to come back to this:

Originally Posted By: toonces
You don't want a military-grade simulator. You want a game. But you don't want to admit it.

That's where your underlying dislike of DCS comes from.

This is my fundamental disagreement. DCS being called a "military-grade simulator", as opposed to merely a game. But now it seems to surface that "military-grade" isn't an accolade, but rather an excuse for some rather large flaws, i.e. "well, in a military sim an instructor would say that you've crashed if you fly through trees, or got hit by an A-A missile. He'd also remove planes you hit if they don't go down after a missile hit". The issue is that if it takes a person standing behind you and actively manipulating the sim to make it realistic, you can't say that it's superior to a game in the commercial market.

In other words, I don't want a game, or a game that's excused from realism because it's compared to a military simulator. I want a realistic, commercial simulation that should be able to handle said aspects without a third party running a sort of "game master" mode. This is what DCS is labeled and sold like, not like a military grade sim (which it now seems is an excuse for lack of realism?*).

*Without stepping on anyone's toes or reviving the BS that was around a few months or so ago, that's honestly what I'm interpreting this as at this stage. If "military grade" isn't used as an accolade for the quality one considers DCS to have but as an excuse ("military simulators can be rather lousy") then I fail to see a reason for using that term in relation to DCS. It's labeled as a commercial sim, nothing else.

Last edited by scrim; 10/13/14 02:46 PM.
#4021814 - 10/13/14 04:56 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

@Scrim:
It's just that your perception of the label "military grade simulator" isn't what the label means.
It's not a derogatory sentence. It's just that (probably) you have little idea of what a generic Training session in the military is, why they do some stuff and what's REALLY necessary and what not.

You don't want a Military grade simulator, you don't want a game- you want a better representation of a military aircraft than DCS. With some luck EDGE will solve many issues. Others probably not. But there's still fun aplenty to have.

EDIT: Usually "Military grade" is just the degree of fidelity of the main subject of the simulator. I don't really need to say more- but think about it, there's no need to simulate 100% of everything, every time, everywhere in the gaming area.

What you need is that the plane the trainee is in, responds as much as possible as the real one. That's the "military grade part".

Last edited by komemiute; 10/13/14 05:00 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4021824 - 10/13/14 05:31 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Yes, but my gripe here is that "military grade" isn't what DCS is marketed as. If it means less than full blown realism (which I'm open to it meaning), then I struggle to see what bearing it has on DCS.

#4021847 - 10/13/14 06:12 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
I use the "military grade" label to mean that you could use it to conduct real-world military training. To that end, the term I use in my article is "near military grade" and I would say that the "near" is important.

But DCS is very close to that level. With the ability to fly fully combined arms warfare online, it is very close to what the military does and, in some cases, perhaps exceeds what is capable in the actual military simulators. Frankly, I think that's a selling point and I'd put it in their marketing material!

I concede, though, that it is marketed as a "game" and, the "game" part of DCS is lacking.

What makes a sim a game anyway?

I was trying to figure out how to articulate it, but I talked myself around in a circle.

Last edited by toonces; 10/13/14 06:45 PM.

#4021853 - 10/13/14 06:22 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: scrim]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK

Had years of this with Strike Fighters - this is wrong blah blah - and you know what TK was 99% correct every time.

You are bringing up reality - however what is the reality - what is the scientific basis for your assumptions? Have you observed from afar the missiles seemingly hitting these objects?

Otherwise we have to assume you know the following:

The lethal range and aspect angles of the particular missile - considering nearly all are prox fuze and not HTK weapons.
The range each missile was from the objects when it exploded from very close observation.

Yep could be a bug (not noticed myself) however just because an explosion occurs nearby does not mean it detonated in range to do significant damage - if it detonates because of a decoy close by and out of range does not make a kill.

How is this programmed in DCS - no idea
So what are the lethal ranges for all the missiles? - no idea all classified

Weapons especially modern ones can only be approximations in any sims...........to many unknowns

Am yet to use a combat sim with colidable 3D trees - on the list of concerns - pretty low - if I fly though a tree and am being realistic about it I have to press Esc because I died.

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#4021858 - 10/13/14 06:38 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: toonces

What makes a sim a game anyway?

Most PC simulators simulate where they can - they sometimes emulate where there is sufficient documentation and they include a game element for entertainment. This isn't to say that the game aspect doesn't include a lot of very realistic elements.

The user has to actively fly taxi, takeoff and land realistically if that is what they want.

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#4021965 - 10/13/14 11:46 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: msalama]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

Originally Posted By: msalama
Quote:
I've not heard of any helicopter that's ever taken even one missile hit and kept on flying.

See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw2mEbppD6A

LMAO….I like how they all go nuts yelling Allah Akbar and then when they see the chopper still flying it goes quiet and one guy tepidly says it. Idiots.

#4021969 - 10/13/14 11:51 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

I agree with the OP.

I don't mind and even like hyper-realism, but if "military grade" means no real cohesion of assets and a very shallow single player experience, then I want the opposite. If that's a "game" then so be it.

There's a segment of people who like flying an F-86 around Crimea shooting at AI in random engagements. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just not that guy.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.