Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4019947 - 10/08/14 09:23 PM UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist.  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Just been watching a discovery program about UFOs
Have to say I found it compelling.
Some very credible people believe they have seen a UFO
Cant say I have ever seen anything.
But there's just to much evidence to categorically deny there existence.
Problem is even if I did spot one I wouldn't tell anybody for fear of been branded a Looney tune.?
discus

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4019949 - 10/08/14 09:26 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Yep, lots of unidentified flying objects. Im not sure about alien spaceships though... but lots of UFOs.

#4019951 - 10/08/14 09:28 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I believe in UFO's. It's an unidentified flying object. I don't however believe little green men are in them.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4019953 - 10/08/14 09:37 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
There's certainly life on other planets, but who knows if they've been here or not, or when they were if they were.

Question everything!
#4019958 - 10/08/14 09:42 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

One of the commentators on the program made a pretty good statement.
It is extremely arrogant for Humankind to believe we are the only intelligent life form in a universe We Still know very little about. Its all above my pay grade but what an interesting subject never really delved In to it before.

#4019961 - 10/08/14 09:46 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: marko1231123

UFO as in extra-terrestrial visitors?

Please present this compelling evidence no one has ever seen.

Testimony is not verifiable evidence.

No one will ever be considered a 100% reliable witness unless they present such evidence, no matter how trustworthy they present themselves to be.

Does not mean they have a hidden agenda, some people rather just put an experience they went trough in a perspective that support what they believe they saw. That does not make it true.

it is easier to believe than to provide evidence.

And finally, no known physical laws sustain the possibility of interstellar travel in a practical manner.

If you think you have the knowledge missing from science to be able to do this, please claim next Nobel Prize.

That said...life on other planets? A very real possibility.

#4019962 - 10/08/14 09:49 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
It is extremely arrogant for Humankind to believe we are the only intelligent life form in a universe We Still know very little about.

There is no arrogance when the evidence show you if something is possible or not.

#4019970 - 10/08/14 09:56 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I haven't seen anything convincing of extra-terrestrial contact.

No account ever seems corroborated outside the persons(s) making the claim. The evidence is either some account you either have to believe (such as those of Travis Walton describing the inside of alien hangars and alien craft that he actually piloted himself), or some kind of reproduction, such as sketchy photographs of alien craft (which are never clear or anything other than dubious even in the modern age where this would seem unlikely).

Everything else has been debunked but for some reason still believed in, from alien autopsies on film to crop circles have been debunked, the people who made them often came forward and showed how they did it, but for some reason, people who really want to believe will not believe even the people responsible for them.

I'm more likely to believe people are either 1) dishonest or 2) mistaken or delusional about something, although I couldn't tell you how many tend to favor which category.

#4019976 - 10/08/14 10:14 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
The very nature of UFO sightings usually means that the acronym could be "Unbelievable Flying Object" as the initial inclination of others upon hearing it is either you are full of crap or you are on drugs.

There are several ways to go on this conversation. If we were visited by little green men from outside our solar system it would likely mean that the aliens would either have mastered faster than light travel or that their lifespans are infinitely longer than ours. I tend to think that if a species had mastered faster than light travel they would also have mastered time itself and would be able to appear anywhere at any TIME they wished... also that they would be able to OBSERVE without actually appearing at all. Or appear as something completely unknowable. I don't know, ask Ezekiel about the fire wheel.

In the wider definition of UFOs, do I believe that things happen outside of the realm of the explainable? Absolutely. Probably all the time if we were looking for it. To think that our understanding of Newtonian physics and our working knowledge of quantum physics is all-encompassing is pure folly. I have on 3 separate occasions, years apart, seen things that would have legitimately be described as UFO. The first and third times, separated by nearly 20 years, a very similar phenomenon occurred that would have made a stunning video, had I the ability to record it.

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4019977 - 10/08/14 10:16 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: Cold_Flying]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: Cold_Flying
There's certainly life on other planets [...]

Or was, or will be. Given the sheer age of the Universe, what are the odds that (intelligent) life exists within the same narrow time frame that we exist in?

All of human history is but a teeny-tiny fragment of the 13-14 billion years our Universe has been existing.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4019980 - 10/08/14 10:25 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
I feel that, given the size of the universe, it is exceptionally likely that intelligent life exists somewhere else in it. I also think that, given the size of the universe, it is exceptionally unlikely that said intelligent life has visited us.

#4019982 - 10/08/14 10:30 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

No one will ever be considered a 100% reliable witness unless they present such evidence, no matter how trustworthy they present themselves to be.

Does not mean they have a hidden agenda, some people rather just put an experience they went trough in a perspective that support what they believe they saw. That does not make it true.

And finally, no known physical laws sustain the possibility of interstellar travel in a practical manner.

If you think you have the knowledge missing from science to be able to do this, please claim next Nobel Prize.

A simple Google search gave thousands of testaments photographic and video footage
If any of this would stand up to scientific scrutiny I don't know but the shear amount would imply
There's a hell of a lot of people who believe.
As stated I have never seen anything and this is way above my pay grade
but some of the people who commentated seemed very credible with responsible jobs
And some risked there careers by telling thee stories.

#4019983 - 10/08/14 10:31 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Right. It's really an assumption that species from other planets are necessarily older or more advanced. How much of pop culture in movies and TV are responsible for that? This is certainly the case for anything with the ability to reach our planet first, but it doesn't mean that the human species is somehow the youngest or most primitive- maybe it seems intuitive, but that is anyone's guess.

Assumption: earth like conditions are required or give the best chance for life to take hold and develop. Life sufficiently enough to be intelligent furthermore has to have time to develop or evolve.

If earth like conditions give the best possible chance, it may be that the age of humans on earth or intelligent life elsewhere may be roughly average or on par with one another. Ours is actually an average race in terms of age and development. One can only assume that life began earlier on another world, but that gets modified by the age and type of the star in that particular solar system and the available elements needed to create planets and the conditions on them and so forth. Furthermore, one can also assume similar mass extinction events and life starting over again on those planets as well- to use the same argument that proponents of the probability of intelligent life on other worlds, why should those events occur only in our solar system?

So everything is far from certain knowledge but conjecture to stir the imagination.

#4019985 - 10/08/14 10:31 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

Look at this way, if they are so advanced that they can fly to distant stars and planets then how come they keep crashing ?

Last edited by Warbirds; 10/08/14 10:32 PM.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4019987 - 10/08/14 10:35 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
BrianLidd Offline
BrianLidd  Offline

United States
We now have so many cameras in so many places, we should be getting indisputable evidence by now. We aren't.

It seems almost guarantee, given the billions upon billions of star systems in our universe, that there is intelligent, spacefaring races somewhere out there. Give the vast, empty distances between star systems, it is unlikely that we have encountered them or will anytime in the near future.

#4019991 - 10/08/14 10:39 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

A simple Google search gave thousands of testaments photographic and video footage
If any of this would stand up to scientific scrutiny I don't know but the shear amount would imply
There's a hell of a lot of people who believe.
As stated I have never seen anything and this is way above my pay grade
but some of the people who commentated seemed very credible with responsible jobs
And some risked there careers by telling thee stories.

Which proves...nothing. 95 percent of all videos and photos are proved to be hoaxes. The 5% is likely explained by various phenomena and government vehicle experiments. Less than 1% is ever "unexplained", which means, not enough data to explain.

Time to whip this out again:

#4020000 - 10/08/14 11:09 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Sorry, not a UFO believer.
There certainly are, were, will be alien life forms in the Universe, but here and now?
No chance.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4020004 - 10/08/14 11:15 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
I absolutely believe there is life beyond our own planet. The universe is simply so mind bogglingly big I find it almost inconceivable that there isn't life out there.

Intelligent life? Well if it developed here why not elsewhere?

Have they visited us? That's a lot more of a stretch for me. The distances involved are almost beyond comprehension, and our understanding of physics tells us travel over such distances is all but impossible. However, I then think Newton in his wildest dreams couldn't have imagined anything like Concorde or Apollo, so is it really such a stretch to think a civilization more advanced than ours has found a way to make interstellar travel possible?

#4020005 - 10/08/14 11:17 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: marko1231123]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
I love the "sheer numbers" argument. By sheer numbers, we should be inundated with life from other than earth, both intelligent and otherwise.

I have no idea if there is or isn't. But, the "sheer numbers" argument fails under its own premise.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4020006 - 10/08/14 11:18 PM Re: UFOs: Anybody Believe They Exist. [Re: BrianLidd]  
Docjonel Offline
Docjonel  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyingToaster
I feel that, given the size of the universe, it is exceptionally likely that intelligent life exists somewhere else in it. I also think that, given the size of the universe, it is exceptionally unlikely that said intelligent life has visited us.

This.

Originally Posted By: BrianLidd
We now have so many cameras in so many places, we should be getting indisputable evidence by now. We aren't.

It seems almost guarantee, given the billions upon billions of star systems in our universe, that there is intelligent, spacefaring races somewhere out there. Give the vast, empty distances between star systems, it is unlikely that we have encountered them or will anytime in the near future.

And this.

Now practically every person on the planet is carrying a digital camera/video recorder with them at all times. If extraterrestrial spacecraft were visiting us you would think there would be more photographic evidence by now. But mostly, unless they can routinely exceed the speed of light (which a more intelligent race could have figured out), the distances involved are so great as to preclude contact in most cases.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" -- Mark 8:36
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.