Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4019173 - 10/07/14 10:46 AM United operations(UO), Ambush  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Greetings.

on 042100Zoct14 UO conducted an ambush operation.

>>>link to UO website: United-operations-steelbeasts community- <<<

Scenario made be "Kingtiger"
CO for the mission "Falcon"
I was in as the recon section leader.
Kintiger was CV90 platoon leader.
Other players:
Potatoman2J6
PaladinSix
Beta

The enemy had broken our defences to the east along the main road. So our BN had to fall back west to avoid being cut off. We where the most southern unit. A CV9040 platoon + 1 recon section.

Our S2 informed us that and enemy column was moving on the main road west. This was the chance to inflict some damage before breaking contact.

So what we had to do is move about 3-4 km southwest, strike and then move about 5 km northwest to reach our EXFIL zone and head back to own lines.

As ever, the scouts took the lead. and while we marched toward the ambush positions the sun began to set.

After the march we had reached the ambush area. A blocking/fallback position was set up, and I imidiatly set out to establish a picket to the east.

The IFV crews needed a bit longer to find good firing positions but after some time(perhaps a bit to long) the ambush was set. Some of the grunts moved to the main road to place some AT mines.

-5x CV90 in ambush position, day sight-

-5x CV90 in ambush TIS-

Meanwhile I was busy:

We had dismounted and set up an observation point. We stayed in cover and send our unmanned-ground-vehicle(UGV) to the hill to our south

After a short while we could hear tracks comming to the road and reported them. The CO told the crews to get ready on got the arty BN on the coms-"Fire mission, all available, 3 rounds ICM on grid XXXX XXXX, at my command, report when ready..."

Very soon afterward the TIS camera on the UGV spotted our customers:

I reported 6 BMP on the move into our ambush.
Thats when the CO got a bit itchy, and called the guns a bit early.

The hail of bombletts dopped just 100m in front of the BMP's, causing the leader to hit the breaks while his wingmen tried to deploy.
Well, stationary targets are easier to hit ready

The barking of 5 40mm guns to my left told me that the CV90s where engaging. So I whatched out for further units comming down the road.

For the BMPs it was not looking good. Its hard to reorganize while being beaten by 40mm APDSFS rounds.

Just as the second enemy platoon was comming under fire I spotted tanks moving in. Damn, a direct slugout with the would do us no good. I reported them to the CO.

The Falcons and Kingtigers CV90 made quick work out of the BMP platoons and finished them of just as the tanks pushed forward to engage.

As the heavy armour arrived, we knew it was time to make a runner.

With our last greetings we at least imobilized one of the tanks.
They will also be busy with assisting the BMPs with 1st aid and CASEVAC...hopefully that would keep them of our backs duck

Bad thing, my UGV got stuck or lost link, so I was faced with the decission: leave behind a few 1000 quid of taxpayers money, or walk up and risk my skin to retrieve it. Guess what?

I got into the car and buggered off wink . We assumed rear guard duty for the rest of the unit.

As we gathered at the blocking position, whith was also our rally-point. Kingtiger had the feeling he forgot something, he just couldn't point out what it was??? Thats when 3rd squad(our flank security to the west) came in over radio, asking when they'll be picked up.
They where not sounding happy, after being told to walk half a mile back to the blocking position sigh

After a while we had everyone gathered, and my scouts took the lead again. We marched north, uncontested.

The last obstancle before safety was narrow strip of land between to lakes just east of our EXFIL zone.

Here we could fall victim to an ambush too. Is we reached the area, we took a short observation/listening stop and searched the groudn ahead.

After finding no oposition, we huged the treeline to the north and crossed over

This went well, we gave Falcon the "all clear" on moved forward to secure the Release Point.

There we are: hull down position to watch south:

And here my recon team, manning the release point and counting all our CV90 in:

This went ...hmmm, OK.
2 platoons of enemy MechInf destoyed and no own losses. (only one UGV, and Kingtigers platoon smashed a house on the way north neaner )

We took a little bit long to get organized in the ambush area, so we didn't have the time to place some AT mines at the road. Also I sometimes moved too far ahead of our IFVs, but I was lucky on that day.

Overall, good leadership and a working plan by Falcon!

Thanx for the game!!

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 10/07/14 02:20 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4019211 - 10/07/14 01:29 PM Re: United operations(UO), Ambush [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Gibsonm Offline
Gibsonm  Offline

Sydney, NSW
Ronin,

Good read. smile

Getting the artillery to land in the right place at the right time is never easy.

Did the early warning give some idea of the BMP's speed so he could estimate when they'd arrive and then compensate for the time required to call the mission?

Mark (}-:
LTCOL RAAC
IAW the Defence Communication Manual 2016, Chapter 3, paragraphs 3.28 - 3.30 - The views expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of the Department of Defence.
#4019219 - 10/07/14 01:44 PM Re: United operations(UO), Ambush [Re: Gibsonm]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Originally Posted By: Gibsonm
Ronin,

Good read. smile

Getting the artillery to land in the right place at the right time is never easy.

Did the early warning give some idea of the BMP's speed so he could estimate when they'd arrive and then compensate for the time required to call the mission?

The UGV TIS has no stadia lines to do the old -21-22-23- count thing.
So their speed it was a wild guess on my side, I have to take that part of the blame.
In landed in front of them, better then behind ;-)

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#4019325 - 10/07/14 06:28 PM Re: United operations(UO), Ambush [Re: Ronin_GE]  
PaladinSix Offline
PaladinSix  Offline

New York, USA
Good AAR and good mission, even if I hit nothing but already-burning hulks!

Reminder: no United Ops mission this week. We're off to Pzbtl 911's "Long Night of Tanks" event this week.

#4019591 - 10/08/14 07:35 AM Re: United operations(UO), Ambush [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Duke911 Offline
Schlappeseppel
Duke911  Offline
Schlappeseppel

Hessen/ Germany
Hi Ronin,

thank you for the AAR.
Hopefully I can join more missions from UO in future.

cheers

Duke

#4019850 - 10/08/14 06:07 PM Re: United operations(UO), Ambush [Re: Ronin_GE]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
A really nice AAR! Was a fun read.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.