Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4017072 - 10/02/14 09:36 AM 2 things i don't like about beta 2 + things i do like  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Not sure if these are all bug related.

1) Is the bloom / blur. OMG my eyes, what have they done !! My information panels and hud writing are hard to read. I have turned both bloom and blur off and the effect they have done still makes them a pain to look at. Really don't like it. These are vital information screens about my systems / radar / navigation. They should be crisp and easy to read, not purposefully blury (even with blur and bloom off).

2) Reduction of speed even when assist is off. Ok its wasn't really Newtonian in the first place, but when you boosted and turned off assist, your craft would remain at current velocity (as one would expect). However now, when I boost and turn off assist, it decelerates back to normal max forward velocity as if there is some magical friction force decelerating me until I reach normal max velocity then poof that magical force disappears and I am back into "Newtonian" flight again. Say Whaaaaaaat !!!

However I do like the new stations
I do like the new system / galaxy map option.

But for the love of my retinas, please fix the blur bloom (plus the black screen hang bug on exiting the game).

graphically for me a step back.

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 10/02/14 09:38 AM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4017081 - 10/02/14 10:44 AM Re: 2 things i don't like about beta 2 + things i do like [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
The bloom seems to be a proper marmite thing. Or vegemite for you I guess.

I really like it and don't have any problems with the legibility. Hopefully they'll add an option to reduce or disable it for those who aren't keen.

The changes to the flight mechanics when assist is off have been explained as a gameplay thing. It was was never intended that you could retain maximum boost velocity, and while it's obvious that the new behaviour can't be explained by physics (as is the case for most of the flight model), I understand the reasons for the changes.

#4017357 - 10/02/14 09:59 PM Re: 2 things i don't like about beta 2 + things i do like [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
I was expecting something like the boost thing. As I'm mostly playing solo, it was pretty much an exploit since the NPCs never used it, and it made the Viper essentially untouchable.

That said, I'd like it adjusted so that at least velocity bleeds off slower with FA-off, which doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe by half as much or so. I think I'd also like boost to be use the more traditional method where it boosts as long as you hold the button down and energy/heat allows. That way you could boost in a more controlled way (ie, not necessarily just right up to your max velocity). I don't want retreating/running to be removed as a combat option, especially as I worry this is giving in too much to the PVP crowd.

All that said, there are a lot of things I still don't like about FA-off handling. For one, I'd like to see two stages to it. Stage one turns off the translational control system, and stage two turns off the rotational control system. I don't see any reason to turn off the rotational control system unless you deliberately want to enter a spin for some reason. It just doesn't make sense from an engineering/design standpoint, and there's no technobabble that could explain it away (and I don't think "because it's harder" is a good enough gameplay reason). As for function, think along the lines of the autopilot channels in DCS Blackshark.

I don't want maneuvering your ship to be easy necessarily, but I don't want it to be artificially difficult just for the sake of it.

#4017487 - 10/03/14 06:10 AM Re: 2 things i don't like about beta 2 + things i do like [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Stonehouse Offline
Stonehouse  Offline

Sydney,NSW,Australia
They seem to have reversed the FA off Newtonian model change in 2.03. Looks like you can switch FA off and boost and stay at speed, well seems to work for me anyway.

#4017531 - 10/03/14 10:45 AM Re: 2 things i don't like about beta 2 + things i do like [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I've found something I don't much like...

Browsing the bulletin board for jobs, find a decent looking one that demands specific cargo. Head to the galaxy map to check there's a likely source for said cargo within reasonable range. Back to starport services and the bulletin board only to find that the list has changed and job is no longer available.

Bit daft, that.

#4019704 - 10/08/14 01:32 PM Re: 2 things i don't like about beta 2 + things i do like [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Bloom and Motion Blur are two options I always turn off first in my games..hate Bloom and not keen on motion blur.

#4019744 - 10/08/14 02:32 PM Re: 2 things i don't like about beta 2 + things i do like [Re: bogusheadbox]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

IIRC there's no Motion BLur in E: D.
Now, bloom is another thing entirely- but I really like that.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4019880 - 10/08/14 06:45 PM Re: 2 things i don't like about beta 2 + things i do like [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

I have come to terms with the new "deceleration" model with regards to the "Newtonian" flight.

However I am noticing an odd behaviour with this that I think could use adjustment.

Now we all know after max boost from top boost speed if "assist" is turned off the craft will decelerate to max normal forward speed (without boost).

However what I don't like is the funky throttle mechanics that keep this law in check. It has some peculiar responses.

E.g. I can turn off "assist" at 50 units of speed and I would expect it to hold that speed when my throttle is at zero. However, the speed will slowly increase to max forward velocity even though my throttle is shut.

Also with "Assist" mode off, this constant decel/accel disregarding throttle position has a weird effect if you want to tumble head over toe. Where you expect no engine thrust as you are supposedly in Newtonian flight, you can hear and see the engine spool up and down as you flip over leaving a very visible engine trail for all to follow.

I think this needs a bit of a tweak.

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 10/08/14 06:45 PM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4019939 - 10/08/14 09:06 PM Re: 2 things i don't like about beta 2 + things i do like [Re: bogusheadbox]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Remember to post it in the official forums smile

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.