Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4016610 - 10/01/14 01:23 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Don't make Hag post any more of those nasty ebola pictures and ruin the thread for others. neaner

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4016614 - 10/01/14 01:39 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
What we need now is that Israeli chic from Day Z.

#4016619 - 10/01/14 02:00 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Ebola is no different than HIV. Both are transmitted by bodily fluids...or eating an uncooked fruit bat.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4016621 - 10/01/14 02:09 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: CyBerkut]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
Originally Posted By: Haggart
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/30/health/ebola-us/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

that's it I'm not going outside ....stay inside all day and play combat sims

What? You're not riding around on mass transit?

Not until flu season is over

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4016625 - 10/01/14 02:36 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
My plan is to drink a lot of beer. That way the alcohol in my blood will kill any ebolas that get in there.

Oh, and thoroughly cook any fruit bats I eat. I usually just eat 'em medium rare, but I guess it's not too much of a hardship to get 'em well done from now on.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4016627 - 10/01/14 02:39 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Hopefully it won't spread in Texas like it did in Africa, where the crowding and lack of sanitary conditions for the sick, and the close ritual contact with the bodies of the dead, and distrust of advice from doctors all contributed to the spread...

Texas and the CDC will handle this much differently I would expect.

I can finally say all my time enjoying post-apocalyptic games and movies was preparation zombie

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4016631 - 10/01/14 02:47 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Read Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six....that's a real ebola story. Sequel to Executive Orders.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4016632 - 10/01/14 02:49 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
“The virus is killed when meat is cooked at a high temperature or heavily smoked, but anyone who handles, skins or butchers an infected wild animal is at risk of contracting the virus,”

Rather then beer - i suggest something with greater alcohol content such as the dish, "Fruit Bat du Provence" - cooked
very well over open pit coals with a strong and savory vodka sauce and local herbs

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4016643 - 10/01/14 03:14 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
mmmmm....savory vodka sauce....aaaaagggggghhhhhhh </drool>

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4016708 - 10/01/14 11:30 AM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: Haggart
wait....you were reading that novel too when that happened ?
I had just finished reading that one when 9/11 happened.

Also remember The Hunt for Red October is loosely based on an incident too...

Anyone have a spare tinfoil hat?

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4016730 - 10/01/14 01:14 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Ah, the token "disease that will wipe us all out!" of the month.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4016773 - 10/01/14 02:41 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Well, since April it shows a "nice" exponential trend:

Actually better shown as nice linear plot on a logarithmic scale (but the normal scale is more dramatic)

Approx. a factor of 10 per 4-5 months.

Last edited by WhoCares; 10/01/14 02:53 PM.
#4016778 - 10/01/14 02:46 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: kludger]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted By: kludger
Hopefully it won't spread in Texas like it did in Africa, where the crowding and lack of sanitary conditions for the sick, and the close ritual contact with the bodies of the dead, and distrust of advice from doctors all contributed to the spread...

On the first part, the government has had doctors and CDC guys on the TV (what I have seen) doing an education session. Which is good, but still with some situations they can't win.

On the second part, regarding handling, I am not sure. The most effectively handledout breaks I've read about have involved going back to the victims home, and circling out from there, locating any potential close contact victims. I remember reading about Nigeria doing this fairly well, with their one victim who flew in resulting in about 900 people getting daily checks by the traveling healthcare teams.

Of interest to me is how the scope of travel and interaction may enlarge those circles. I am unfamiliar with the major cities in Nigeria, how much travel is available/affordable to the general public. Thinking about the Dallas area, you've got DART trains and buses cheap and accessible to anybody. I'm also not certain of how different the public spaces may vary, things like the State Fair in Dallas, or the many evening/nightlife filled streets.

I haven't seen enough TV to know whether the press have the reporters on the street showing any CDC research activity, or maybe from helos in the air. What little I saw of the TV this morning they already had a news helo circling the quarantined ambulance used to transport the victim to the hospital, so I'd not doubt it. The reports this morning are that the victim first went to a doctor and was sent home with antibiotics and didn't seek medical attention again for 3 days. Either way, we'll probably get some indications on the scale of his contacts over those 3 to 5 days. Will be interesting to see.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4016790 - 10/01/14 03:06 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: WhoCares]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: WhoCares
Well, since April it shows a "nice" exponential trend:

Actually better shown as nice linear plot on a logarithmic scale (but the normal scale is more dramatic)

Approx. a factor of 10 per 4-5 months.

Still not worried. Like, at all.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4016794 - 10/01/14 03:18 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
akdavis Offline
akdavis  Offline

Fort Worth, Texas
I suspect deaths from people texting about Ebola while driving will far exceed deaths from the disease itself here in the US.

Oh, and "Thanks Obama!"

--AKD

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox
#4016814 - 10/01/14 04:18 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: adlabs6]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: adlabs6

Of interest to me is how the scope of travel and interaction may enlarge those circles. I am unfamiliar with the major cities in Nigeria, how much travel is available/affordable to the general public. Thinking about the Dallas area, you've got DART trains and buses cheap and accessible to anybody. I'm also not certain of how different the public spaces may vary, things like the State Fair in Dallas, or the many evening/nightlife filled streets.

I haven't seen enough TV to know whether the press have the reporters on the street showing any CDC research activity, or maybe from helos in the air. What little I saw of the TV this morning they already had a news helo circling the quarantined ambulance used to transport the victim to the hospital, so I'd not doubt it. The reports this morning are that the victim first went to a doctor and was sent home with antibiotics and didn't seek medical attention again for 3 days. Either way, we'll probably get some indications on the scale of his contacts over those 3 to 5 days. Will be interesting to see.

Yeah I agree, a big key to this will be who this patient interacted with since he flew into Dallas from Liberia, and whether there was a chance for bodily fluid to be exchanged, hopefully he just stayed at home from feeling ill, if not then hopefully the CDC and doctors can identify and keep close eye on anyone he came into contact with.

Definitely will be interesting to see, I'm sure they know stopping the spread now is vital.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4016835 - 10/01/14 05:34 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I think failure to control people crossing borders will be seen as a major failure. Lax immigration is causing not just a potential exposure to Ebola, but also to illnesses that we had pretty much eradicated by vaccine and health systems; TB, polio, etc.

I'm not an alarmist about this Ebola issue, but would err on the side of caution. We should have done extensive screening on possible cases. Establish a quarantine system until we had better control and identification.

I don't trust that they have the ability of spread sufficiently known.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4016843 - 10/01/14 05:58 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: kludger]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Originally Posted By: kludger

Right. There is something to be said about infectious diseases in the First World- the flu virus has killed millions and millions of people, but that tends not to be the case in the US. People die from it, but it tends not to be as dramatic (or on the other hand, it is more accepted as a fact of life, since it's not thought of as exotic).

But if Ebola freaks people out, there have also been warnings that already in the works existing common, relatively treatable germs may mutate into more hardy, antibiotic resistant strains, the world uses too many indiscriminate antibiotic consumer products, too many people anticipate and seek treatment for things which the body is usually capable of beating on its own, or people don't use them correctly- so the scenario is being spun that we might one day return early 20th Century when penicillin no longer works and many more people could expect to die from common infections that we generally accept as not a problem today.

#4016862 - 10/01/14 06:55 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
akdavis Offline
akdavis  Offline

Fort Worth, Texas
I bet there are people right now in my area freaking the F out over Ebola who don't vaccinate their kids. Probably slathering them in essential oils just in case.

--AKD

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox
#4016866 - 10/01/14 07:00 PM Re: Oh Oh, Ebola Has Spread to Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Sort of off topic, but I saw an article the other day where some kid in the tropics was bitten in the leg by a snake. The kid wasn't treated with anti-venom but antibiotics. I'm not a doctor, but that defies even a layperson's sense. They showed pictures of the kid's necrotic leg as the venom dissolved and broke down the tissue, it turned completely black and looked like a discarded chicken bone.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.