Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4016336 - 09/30/14 05:13 PM X65F vs Warthog - Throttle  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Hello guys, please help me with a decision!

I'm currently with a T16000M joystick, and I a need a throttle, because: a)currently I can only play WOFF - or IL2 with low realism settings, as I don't have enough keys/rotaries for complex engine management; b) I can't play DCS (looking for EDGE in the next months); c) I can barely play Starcitzen/Elite.

Well, looking for throttles, only CH retails the throttle unit without the stick, but there's no place to acquire one here (Brazil), and I'll not import it (import taxes increase the price to ~USD200,00).

I've found people selling the X65f and warthog (used) for, respectively, USD 350,00 and USD 450,00. Basically, I prefer the X65f for these reasons:

a) Cheaper (well, for USD 350,00 is almost a rape in my wallet, but it is cheaper than warthog);

b) Rotaries on the throttle (can use it with IL2:BOS and WOFF, besides any other WW1/2 sims);

c) The stick itself has the same buttons of the warthog (except the dual trigger, but that's a non-issue for me), also the stick have "twist" movement (force twist lol) and I don't have neither I'll buy pedals - I'll probably just use the stick for modern sims, as I don't think any stick is better than T16000M (seriously: no deadzone, no center play, linear response, no "sticking" at any zone of movement);

Well, given that I'll pair the throttle with my T16000M for most uses, and given my other reasons above, please let me know what you guys think of it? I'm right with going for X65F or should I get a warthog instead? Any other considerations/suggestions?

Thank you!

Edit: Purchased the X65F!

I'll try to make a review as soon as I have time to test it.

Last edited by SacaSoh; 09/30/14 11:00 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4016411 - 09/30/14 07:11 PM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: SacaSoh]  
Fudge93 Offline
Fudge93  Offline

England
Well the X65-F stick also has no deadzone, no center player and no sticking (or 100% sticking I guess) as it doesn't move.

I own both the Warthog and the Saitek, but prefer the Saitek. It's only got one extra rotary over the warthog. The warthog uses the Friction lever as an axis. Saitek has the two on the right. The one you can see on the left is a mouse scroll.

On the Saitek the mouse nub can be hacked to be two axis at the cost of the rudder twist. Was useful on BMS.

Saitek and CH both do throttle quadrants. If you are really only after the throttle maybe they would prove to be cheaper to get one or two of these. May feel more authentic for WOFF?

Pros and Cons
Saitek
One more Rotary Axis
Rudder Twist
Can feel odd, stick doesn't move at all
Throttle levers feels Sturdy compared to Warthog
You can swap the HATS around

Warthog
More Toggle switches
Physical stick feels better, more military and less toy
Stick is same or similar to some modern US Jets, so easy to map keys
Better general build quality
Very popular stick so can find profiles

Saitek throttle quadrants
Cheaper (in UK at least)
Can line up multiple ones with ease (for 2+ engines)
Plastic rather than metals
You can change the knobs

combtpilot.co.uk
#4016416 - 09/30/14 07:17 PM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: SacaSoh]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
In the past the Warthog throttle have tendency to "brick" (dead), I dont know actually. A coleage here have a "A-10 paper weight".
So since where you live you dont count with warrant, technical assistance, have restrictions to import, a point to consider.

Quote:

b) Rotaries on the throttle (can use it with IL2:BOS and WOFF, besides any other WW1/2 sims);

FWI: in il:BoS you can't assign things like flaps, aileron/elevator/rudder trim on axis.
Anyway these extra axis will be usefull for prop pitch, mixture, radiators.

CON in X-65F is use potentiometers on these axis, what means limited life cicle (but years).

Last edited by Sokol1; 09/30/14 07:21 PM.
#4016435 - 09/30/14 07:35 PM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: SacaSoh]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Thanks for the input Fudge93.

It's really nice to get an opinion from someone with both sticks. I've read on lot of forums that the lack of stick movement makes it more precise (when you grow used to it).

In fact I was going to import a throttle quadrant from Saitek - USD 120,00 with taxes and shipping, but, for modern and space sims I need the extra hats on the throttle.

I'm making sure of a safe decision cause USD 350,00 + shipping is a lot of money lol.

Thanks again!

#4016460 - 09/30/14 08:00 PM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: SacaSoh]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Thanks Sokol1!

Regarding the pots, looks like they are cheap 270º 50k ones. So, when I think it will be relatively easy to replace (unlike cougar custom pots).

I think I made my mind, I'll you let you guys know if I purchase it.

Thanks again!

#4016547 - 09/30/14 10:59 PM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: SacaSoh]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Purchased the X65F!

I've bought it from Amazon - no, not the US retailer giant, it's the Brazilian state in the heart of Amazon forest lol. It'll take 3 days to get here...

I'll try to make a review as soon as I receive it.

#4016599 - 10/01/14 12:57 AM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: SacaSoh]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Is it being shipped via canoe? wink

#4020059 - 10/09/14 01:35 AM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: CyBerkut]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
Is it being shipped via canoe? wink

Well, looks like it was! Arrived just today.

The throttle is awesome, with the panel you have lots of buttons, with my T16000M and using a trackir 5 I can play anything without problem.

*But* the stick has a problem... one that makes it unusable: it spikes around, even after calibration! Well, given that the X,Y and rudder input changes with my movements in my room (seriously, lol) the culprit is the crap PS2/USB cables EMI shielding... I'll have to buy some ferrite cores to use in both cables :'(

I managed to test it with a ridiculous cable arrangement, and I found it very precise: landed the DCS TF51 in one piece. It's very intuitive, kind of an analogous to trackir: you adapt the force to your movements quite easily.

Well, I'll test it with ferrite cores and write back!

#4020563 - 10/10/14 02:59 AM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: SacaSoh]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Hey guys,

I'm still waiting for my ferrite cores (bought 8 units clamp-on style - can shield a cable even from nuclear blast EMP), and, meanwhile, I opened the right throttle lever to see if I could fix a somewhat loose hat (the hat was missing a very small fixation screw).

Well, as I know Saitek products, the rotaries of the stick usually start to spike in little time, so I checked it for replacements. Take a look at these pics:

The part is B50k (linear 50k pot), and it have something that look a "Gandalf was here" in elfic runes. As you can see, where X52 used gears (to use a pot + a button), X65F uses a Pot with a button (5 pin pot).

Long story short: I bought these from ebay and I guess they'll work for me.

Now I just have to devise a way to remove the plastic knob from the pot shaft (it looks glued - maybe it's not and I'm just afraid of the force required), and to see if it is a "D" fit, like the one I bought, or other fit (that I'll destroy and use lots of glue to transform it in a "D" fit).

#4021238 - 10/11/14 08:05 PM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: SacaSoh]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Well, now I need some help from you guys:

My right throttle don't work! let me explain:

My left throttle moves both sliders in game, in Saitek screen, and on windows properties (tested on another PC without any previous drivers - same result), my right throttle do nothing when moved.

The most surprising to me: I opened the throttle base, found the cables from the pots (it's "detachable", like a cooler fan cable) and swapped them. Result: the right throttle worked (moving both throttles) and left stopped working. confused

Before doing all this, I tried all kinds of fixes, like the reg fixes for ministick as axis and some other reg fix I found on RoF forums. My issue is just like this (but, unfortunately, I had not tested the axis individually).

I'm currently using Windows 8.1, and also tested it on Win 7.

Last edited by SacaSoh; 10/11/14 08:08 PM.
#4022508 - 10/14/14 11:43 PM Re: X65F vs Warthog - Throttle [Re: SacaSoh]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Just got my ferrite cores: with 6 ferrites (2 on each ends - 1 single pass and 1 double pass on a loop + 2 double pass on the middle of cable) it works flawlessly.

I also managed to break ministick as axis (now the ministick shows as just 8 bits of movement) - I will have to clean the register and drivers and start again... sigh

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.