Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4016421 - 09/30/14 07:20 PM Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever?  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

Has the genre just gone totally cold? There's not even much to talk about with ARMA these days.

I used to come to this board every day to get the latest news but now there doesn't even seem like anything is in the works worth talking about.

A couple of generic Cryengine MP shooters is about it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4016441 - 09/30/14 07:38 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Indeed. Its a bit UGH as of now.

All the money is chasing the generic for ALL games. How long can this go on for? At some point something will brake.

Arma 3 is decent enough game...NOW. but I think they made an OOPS with the future thing. Granted they needed to do something a bit different from previous games. Also the idea that you just make the assets and the community makes the actual content does not fly so well when someone new to the series boots it up for the 1st time and GO wtf. Arma 3 has gotten the least about of play time by far from me than any other going back to OFP.

The current trend of the past years. Take an good ole IP like rainbow 6 (insert title here) and dumb it down to the point nearly no one likes it in order to increase sales following whatever trend is about. Then drop it like a brick after destroying the IP.

At some point some one will bring back something along these lines. If it actually is polished enough and well done then perhaps an explosion of more. Until everyone gets sick of it.

#4016782 - 10/01/14 02:49 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
The only tactical sim I have installed and play frequently is ArmA 3.

It would be nice to have a Hidden & Dangerous 3 but that ain't happening.

The Rainbow Six series and the Ghost Recon series hasn't been "sim like" for a long time now.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4016903 - 10/01/14 08:24 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
That reminds me, I need to play H&D2 some more. I wish their multiplayer played just like their single player!

And that the Germans weren't crack shots for the player's sake.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4017046 - 10/02/14 06:02 AM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
fafnir_6 Offline
fafnir_6  Offline

Edmonton, AB
Red Orchestra II / Rising Storm just got a decent-sized update with new weapons, maps and vehicles (and reworked tank combat). There are community map packs in the works for that game and servers are full. There is a Western Front mod in the works and there's IOM (now grey-listed on ranked servers). I'd say we're doing OK. I have ArmA 3 and I have played it a bit but I think you're right about the future thing. It just doesn't turn my crank. If they ever get Iron Front working properly in A3 I may come back for another try.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

P.S. Just played a ripping good bit of German assault on Red October Factory and Russian defense of the Bridges of Druzhina (campaign mode). Great teamwork and a run of sweet luck with the scoped SVT-40 smile.

Last edited by fafnir_6; 10/02/14 06:07 AM.
#4017082 - 10/02/14 10:55 AM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
My problem with RO 2 is that it's overwhelmingly geared for head to head multiplayer. That's not my cup of tea.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4017091 - 10/02/14 11:50 AM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
True, RO2 can hit that vibe on some maps. Druzhina in particular gets so much right. But is like the the most love and hated map at the same time. Shows the division of what are almost 2 camps of game play...in one game. In the end I think RO2 tried to make everyone happy. And while its worth your time IMO. It somehow misses the mark. The newer "classic" mode came to late and with a crappy name. Its still on my HD but not played in quite some time. RS being an even more faster paced RO2 got boring real fast for me. To bad that.

#4017119 - 10/02/14 01:19 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Both are fun but RO was too way clunky in an effort to simulate "realism" and RO2 went way onto the other side of that spectrum. There needs to be a happy medium.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4017147 - 10/02/14 01:52 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I want tactical sims like Rainbow Six Rogue Spear and Hidden & Dangerous where you can play coop missions against the AI along with a storyline, cutscenes and while also maintaining a high level of realism.

Sniper Elite III has all of these elements except the high level of realism but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

#4017150 - 10/02/14 01:55 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I'm afraid that the way flight sims went and it all was sour. Somehow no one is happy. Well, I am- but that's none of my business.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4017151 - 10/02/14 01:58 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I'm afraid that the way flight sims went and it all was sour. Somehow no one is happy. Well, I am- but that's none of my business.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4017426 - 10/03/14 01:42 AM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
fafnir_6 Offline
fafnir_6  Offline

Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
True, RO2 can hit that vibe on some maps. Druzhina in particular gets so much right. But is like the the most love and hated map at the same time. Shows the division of what are almost 2 camps of game play...in one game. In the end I think RO2 tried to make everyone happy. And while its worth your time IMO. It somehow misses the mark. The newer "classic" mode came to late and with a crappy name. Its still on my HD but not played in quite some time. RS being an even more faster paced RO2 got boring real fast for me. To bad that.

You should try the Univermag, Myshkova River and Kobura maps as they encourage the type of play you are looking for, I think. Servers running the IOM mod have replaced classic mode as the go-to place for players wanting the uber-realistic experience. It really feels different from the stock game in pacing and feel. You should boot it up and give it a go (after downloading the 300MB over redirect sigh ). RS is faster paced and I can see why some people would be put off by that. You should try the Kobura map on a full server.

Originally Posted By: Peally
Both are fun but RO was too way clunky in an effort to simulate "realism" and RO2 went way onto the other side of that spectrum. There needs to be a happy medium.

This. I think every player falls on a different spot on this continuum. I also agree with your take on RO:Ost in every aspect except tank combat (which is fixed now in RO2 and more detailed in terms of combat mechanics than RO:Ost, IFL44 or ArmA). For the record, I found ArmA2 to be REALLY clunky (worse that RO:OSt). ArmA 3 is better that way but I want a real/semi-real place to fight for with real weapons. Just a quirk of mine, I suppose, and the reason I really wish for IFL44 to come fully into ArmA3.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Last edited by fafnir_6; 10/03/14 02:24 AM.
#4017860 - 10/04/14 01:28 AM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
Hammer* Offline
Hammer*  Offline

Norwich, CT
H&D2 was a little clunky but it must have not bothered me too much because I played it for years. I would jump on H&D3 in a heart beat!

Yep, I don't post allot. But I still love you.
#4018165 - 10/04/14 09:30 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

#4018173 - 10/04/14 10:11 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Red orchestra series are the only games I play multi player. Love them.

#4018308 - 10/05/14 09:14 AM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
H&D 2 was a damned fine game. No idea how many times I played the single campaign...alot. And spent alot of time with the MP as well.

#4018352 - 10/05/14 12:39 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: FlashBurn]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
H&D 2 was a damned fine game. No idea how many times I played the single campaign...alot. And spent alot of time with the MP as well.

I totally agree! I wish there was a H&D3 or that someone would develop one (with the same realism of H&D2 of course)!

#4018505 - 10/05/14 10:50 PM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I was pissed when H&D 2 first came out because you couldn't play the campaign cooperatively but at least the Sabre Squadron add-on had a coop campaign. Eventually there was a mod made that allowed you to play the H&D 2 campaign cooperatively but it had a few bugs.

#4018536 - 10/06/14 12:04 AM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: Bumfluff]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bumfluff

I'll be dead before it's done....and I'm only 29.

#4018538 - 10/06/14 12:10 AM Re: Are Tactical Simulations at their lowest point ever? [Re: bonchie]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

HD2 was textbook on how to make an engaging campaign.

And it was a perfect mix of being just open world enough while still being focused in its gameplay.

Last edited by bonchie; 10/06/14 12:12 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.