Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4016075 - 09/30/14 12:37 AM Stop me before I shop again!  
Bodhammer Offline
Bodhammer  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
History:
Full CH gameport with ForceFX, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals first for Mechwarrior and then MS FlightSim and Descent - Gone
Went to Cougar with ProPedals - very disappointed with Cougar for Falcon 4, mine was a POS. - Gone

MS Sidewinder Force Feedback - I keep it for quick play when I don't want to clean my desk or hook up another hub
Full CH USB with FighterStick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals
Track IR3 with VE

I'm lusting after the Thrustmaster Warthog... Games would be MS Flight Sim, DCS A-10, and Star Citizen - and yes I would keep my desk clean!

I can prob get ~$160 for my CH FighterStick and Pro Throttle as they are in very good condition.

Pros on current setup - CH product are bulletproof and "Just Work"(tm), software is solid.

I'm review'd out, advice on making the switch?

Last edited by Bodhammer; 09/30/14 12:38 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4016096 - 09/30/14 01:32 AM Re: Stop me before I shop again! [Re: Bodhammer]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4016172 - 09/30/14 05:11 AM Re: Stop me before I shop again! [Re: Bodhammer]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

The big outlier, considering Star Citizen, is how much you're willing to tolerate the tiny analog stick on the Warthog throttle as a means of strafing. The thumbstick on the Pro Throttle's a lot more comfortable given the greater range of motion.

That said, I made the same switch a few years back and don't regret it, only because I like the overall tactile feel and ergonomics of TM hardware that much better (except for any stiction you may get on the Warthog stick). The fact that it's preconfigured for DCS: A-10C (if not all the other DCS modules, sadly) is another nice bonus.

You won't have any issues selling your CH gear at that price, either. Someone here on SimHQ or the Star Citizen forums is gonna snap that stuff up FAST.

#4016273 - 09/30/14 02:58 PM Re: Stop me before I shop again! [Re: Bodhammer]  
Bodhammer Offline
Bodhammer  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
A lifelong friend and fellow sim enthusiast has graciously offered to let me borrow his TM Warthog kit. I will be able to do side-by-side comparisons. It is so nice to have friends with such exquisite taste, class, and generosity!

#4016280 - 09/30/14 03:10 PM Re: Stop me before I shop again! [Re: NamelessPFG]  
Bodhammer Offline
Bodhammer  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG
The big outlier, considering Star Citizen, is how much you're willing to tolerate the tiny analog stick on the Warthog throttle as a means of strafing. The thumbstick on the Pro Throttle's a lot more comfortable given the greater range of motion.

This: "Of course, DCS: A-10C Warthog is so thoroughly modeled that I discovered during one of the tutorials that you can set the slew rate of the targeting pod by keying in a smaller number on the MFD using the Up Front Controller (UFC). Problem solved."
found here: http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_200b.html

Will that make a difference?

#4016541 - 09/30/14 10:51 PM Re: Stop me before I shop again! [Re: Bodhammer]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bodhammer
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG

This: "Of course, DCS: A-10C Warthog is so thoroughly modeled that I discovered during one of the tutorials that you can set the slew rate of the targeting pod by keying in a smaller number on the MFD using the Up Front Controller (UFC). Problem solved."
found here: http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_200b.html

Will that make a difference?

It'll make a difference in DCS: A-10C and nothing outside of that, as you'd expect.

It's also worth noting that DCS' pre-configured Warthog profile actually dials down the Warthog slew stick's sensitivity range so that full deflection only results in about 30% of maximum possible analog output. Replicating this in games without axis sensitivity curves will require a TARGET profile.

Something tells me they wouldn't need to do that if they put a proper force transducer in there to begin with, per the real A-10 throttle. Of course, that'd just drive the price up by several hundred dollars for that alone, I'm sure.

At least in my experience with Star Citizen, having control over your exact direction of thrust with it isn't too hard. It's more trying to keep a fixed velocity setting that isn't "off" or "100%" in the desired direction that's tricky because of that limited range of movement.

#4016623 - 10/01/14 02:29 AM Re: Stop me before I shop again! [Re: Bodhammer]  
Bodhammer Offline
Bodhammer  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
I've actually decided to bag the Warthog loan and just stick with my CH stuff. I want to focus on the game and there is a good group supporting the CH Products.

Thanks for the comments.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.