Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4012405 - 09/21/14 01:39 AM Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
don't they ?

a friend invited me to play Destiny .... but I'd have to go out and buy a Playstation ....something i've never owned. But i suspect it wouldn't look like a PC game .... probably fake looking. Or is that not correct ?

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4012431 - 09/21/14 03:18 AM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
I can't speak for Destiny, but I don't think the graphics look too fake on the Xbox One in Forza 5. But I'll let you be the judge.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
Edgar Allan Poe
#4012446 - 09/21/14 04:10 AM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
lol, maybe it's that they look too real...not used to it

biggrin

how about the controllers for these games like 1st person shooters...have they become as flexible and sensitive as your computer mouse ?

#4012490 - 09/21/14 06:58 AM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
Allaire Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent
Allaire  Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent

AR, USA
Nope the analog sticks on the controllers are still no where near the precision you have with a mouse.

Silent enim legēs inter arma.

Cave canem, te necet lingendo.
#4012498 - 09/21/14 08:56 AM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Graphically the PS4 and Xbox One stand up really well compared to PCs. As for the controllers, well it's all down to practice. It's true it's not as precise as a mouse, but with practice you can do really well. Most complaints about the controller for console style shooters come from PC users who never use controllers, so they're just awful at it.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#4012512 - 09/21/14 10:57 AM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
Weaponz248 Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!
Weaponz248  Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!

Statesboro GA USA
Consoles are basically computers made for games. Best thing is you dont have to worry about system requirements. Graphics will vary from game to game but most look gorgeous. And lets be honest at 500 usd the graphics are outstanding.
As for the mouse vs controller thing. A mouse will always be more precise. However Destiny was made for console so it wouldnt be an issue. Once you get use to the controller all is good.

I will say this I wouldnt buy a console just for one game.

XBOX Live Tag/Steam/PSN: Weaponz248

#4012524 - 09/21/14 12:03 PM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Weaponz248]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Weaponz248
Consoles are basically computers made for games. Best thing is you dont have to worry about system requirements. Graphics will vary from game to game but most look gorgeous. And lets be honest at 500 usd the graphics are outstanding.
As for the mouse vs controller thing. A mouse will always be more precise. However Destiny was made for console so it wouldnt be an issue. Once you get use to the controller all is good.

I will say this I wouldnt buy a console just for one game.

I would agree. I wouldn't buy a console for just one game (although I did sort of buy my 360 just for CoD3, LOL).

That being said, at $400-$500 (the price of a high-end graphics card for a PC) a gaming console is a good investment if you're heavily into gaming.

I was a hardcore PC gamer and swore that I'd never own a console or use a gamepad for a shooter. I bought a PS2 solely for sports games and whenever I tried a first person shooter I hated it with a gamepad. But, over time, you get better and better and eventually you'll become competitive. Also, many FPS games have a sort of built in "aim assist" that helps get you on target a little bit. But, yeah, at first, prepare to die a lot.

I just bought my XBox One a week or two ago. I hadn't used a gamepad in many months (i've been doing all my gaming - both Battlefield and driving sims - on my PC). But, I got into a BF4 match and finished as high scorer on my team and had a positive K/D ratio. Anytime I have a K/D ratio better than 1:1 I'm happy. LOL

As far as Destiny goes, most gaming sites have only rated it about a 6 or 7 out of 10. The complaint being that the gameplay is extremely repetitive. I initially thought of getting it bundled with my XBO but I opted for FM5 and BF4 instead.

Last edited by LeemzHQ; 09/21/14 12:07 PM.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
Edgar Allan Poe
#4012659 - 09/21/14 06:40 PM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
its been many years since i looked into a console and your replies were very helpful, thank you

#4012711 - 09/21/14 09:34 PM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Haggart
lol, maybe it's that they look too real...not used to it

biggrin

how about the controllers for these games like 1st person shooters...have they become as flexible and sensitive as your computer mouse ?

That's the rub: you don't just use the mouse for pc games, you also use the keyboard. A kb is nowhere near as good as a controller for movement, and you spend more time moving than you do shooting. Sure, a mouse gives you a fraction of a second faster twitch shooting than a stick, but that only makes a difference in twitchy shooter games. People (not me) can be so fast with a controller on high sensitivity that you wouldn't know what they were using anyway. For me, I'm better with a controller due to the left stick for movement being so much more efficient and smooth than using WASD, and I'm not even that fast targeting with a mouse anyway. The games I play it doesn't really matter though, more medium pace and tactical, rather than a twitchy, reflex shooter.
The good news: you can use either on pc. wink I think you can use kb/m on the playstations, and there are emulators that let you do so on the 360, but they aren't as good as having both options normally supported on pc.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4012766 - 09/22/14 12:58 AM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Even after owning consoles for a long time now, I'd still opt for a mouse/kb option over a gamepad anyday (at least for shooters).

Edgar Allan Poe
#4012840 - 09/22/14 08:51 AM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Given the choice I'd never play an FPS with a gamepad, but for third-person games I prefer using one rather than a keyboard and mouse. As as been suggested up-thread, movement using a keyboard is really clunky. A lot of PC games have very good support for gamepads these days.

Regarding the visuals, I don't understand why there'd be an expectation for a game to look 'fake' because it's on a console. I'll admit I've never been a fan of Bungie's aesthetics - specifically the 'cartoony' weapons and effects - but I've never considered that to have anything to do with the platform, a PC release would suffer the same fate. From what I've seen on youtube, the environments look both superbly designed and very well rendered.

Most of those Forza shots above are way too over-saturated, and the gamma is very high-contrast. Haven't played that either but the youtube in-game clips I've seen don't look anywhere near as bad.

#4013045 - 09/22/14 05:47 PM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Brun]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Brun
Most of those Forza shots above are way too over-saturated, and the gamma is very high-contrast. Haven't played that either but the youtube in-game clips I've seen don't look anywhere near as bad.

Those pics are completely untouched. By default they are over saturated. But it was just to illustrate the quality of the vehicle models and the environment. I havent attempted to create any custom filters or utilized any of the in-game preset filters.

Edgar Allan Poe
#4013274 - 09/23/14 07:17 AM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
At least that means I can describe them as horrible without offending you smile

No doubting the quality of the models though.

#4013281 - 09/23/14 08:00 AM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Haggart]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Read an interview a while back by a senor Microsoft guy
In the interview he stated a mouse could well be on the cards for the Xbox1.

#4013348 - 09/23/14 01:02 PM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: marko1231123]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: marko1231123
Read an interview a while back by a senor Microsoft guy
In the interview he stated a mouse could well be on the cards for the Xbox1.

But without a keyboard i wouldn't have much use for a mouse with the XB1.

Edgar Allan Poe
#4013352 - 09/23/14 01:06 PM Re: Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphics [Re: Brun]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Brun
At least that means I can describe them as horrible without offending you smile

No doubting the quality of the models though.

Well I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little offended. wink

I honestly think they don't look "horrible". Though the second to last one does have too much color. But there's a reason why I chose to take screenshots of the shadow side of the car. The sunny side of the car was way too over saturated (even for my taste). wink

Edgar Allan Poe

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.