Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4012580 - 09/21/14 03:18 PM Mig 21 weapons questions  
Dobby Offline
Dobby  Offline

Switzerland
Hi all
I'm trying to find out more about the different weapons on the Mig-21, I didn't find anything specific so far in the manual, and information on wikipedia is sparse, and I found nothing in the in-game encyclopedia.

Specifically, I'm interested in more info on the following:

1) RS-2US: as I understand it, this is an improved version of the Kaliningrad K-5/RS-2U/AA-1 Alkali? And this is basically a beam-rider, not a SARH?

2) K-55/R-55: this is an improved K-5, right? The little info on it on wikipedia hints that there was a SARH version as well as an IR-seeker version? I take it the one modelled in-game is the IR variant, from the look of the missile's cone as well as the fact that I get a lock tone when selecting IR mode?

3) K-13/R-3/AA-2 Atoll: wikipedia states the operational range as 1.0 to 35.4 km (0.6 to 22 mi). That seems a tad much, considering it's a AIM-9B clone?

4) Lastly, I remember seeing an in-game video quite a while back with a really mean gun pod with several gatling-type guns in it. Did that one not make it into the final product?

Regards,

Da lagen wir im grossen Krieg der Räuber,
Und drüben lagen die gleichen dreckigen Leiber,
Arbeiter wie wir, da haben wir gedacht,
Das ist nicht unser Krieg, nicht unsre Schlacht
#4012610 - 09/21/14 04:51 PM Re: Mig 21 weapons questions [Re: Dobby]  
apelles Offline
apelles  Offline

Hungary, Székesfehérvár
k-13 much more like min 1 km max 3,5 km. Even the R-60 has max range of 8 km and even this is an exaggeration. Realistically much shorter.

#4012784 - 09/22/14 01:54 AM Re: Mig 21 weapons questions [Re: Dobby]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed the otherwise very well done user manual omitted info on weapons. As someone whos never flow "red" before, it would be a big help.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4012839 - 09/22/14 08:43 AM Re: Mig 21 weapons questions [Re: Dobby]  
Ghost0815 Offline
Ghost0815  Offline

A good overview about the weapons

#4012850 - 09/22/14 10:21 AM Re: Mig 21 weapons questions [Re: Dobby]  
WinterH Offline
WinterH  Offline

-RS-2US is, indeed a beam rider and not SARH.
-R-55 is indeed an improved late IR version of K-5
-Wikipedia is Wikipedia, so take those range figures with a grain of salt at least. But those big ranges mean high altitude range of missile, where it will have less drag and will have much longer range than lower altitudes, of course I still would not expect even half of 30 km value even then. Note, that there 4 variants of this particular missile in sim, with fairly different capabilities :
* R-3S : AIM-9B copy, requires miracles and divine intervention against agile targets smile
* R-3R : Same missile with SARH guidance
* R-13M : Improved missile with longer range, larger warhead, better seeker, seeker and missile both can track targets pulling more Gs, and missile itself can pull more Gs, can be fired while launching aircraft pull about 3.5G, where R-3S can only be shot while pulling about 1-2G. Though, it is still a rear aspect only missile.
* R-13M1 : Further improved, roughly equivalent to rear aspect only AIM-9P versions.
-K-13 does, indeed have longer kinematic range than R-60, advantage of R-60 is, it is more agile, can be shot when closer to target, can be shot while pulling as many Gs as you like and still track. Also, R-60M is kind-of all aspect, seems it can't aquire head-on, but can lock and engage from most other target aspects.
-It was GUV gunpod, it didn't make the release, but it wouldn't really be that efficient to be honest, same pod that Mi-8 can carry, it has one 12.7 mm and two 7.62mm gatlings, almost strictly against soft targets. Overkill against softs, almost useless against hards smile UPK-23 is available, and a better option all around. I agree that it is cool, but it is just that, and nothing more smile

So far I've found that for ground attack, and putting nukes aside, best option is S-24 rockets. Kh-66 is also nice and fun, but to use against vehicle size targets I honestly am not sure whether it brings any real advantages over S-24 option, and is more complex to utilize. If targets is large like a bridge, building or ship, where you can put your pipper on from a distance with ease, than Kh-66 of course is better.

S-5 rockets aren't very powerful, but are a decent option as well, and you can carry a lot of those (though watch out not to drop those pods by pulling too hard from dives, so far, I do that all the time :D)

Bombs are nice but, due to the fact that only way to get an accurate pipper is a shallow dive, which will bring you very close to target to get that pipper, and the fact that MiG is not quite a dive bomber at all, I've found them to be very finicky to employ. Though, I am trying toss bombing, it may be a fun option, it works with Nuke, so may be with some improvement may work with ordinary bombs too smile (slight jab at DCS : I'd really love if we could set burst time for cluster bombs... it would be awesome to toss them... it is a real shame, currently all cluster bombs besides CBU-97 and CBU-105 feel almost useless, and those are useful only because of guided submunitions)

GSh-23L Gun itself, (and presumably gunpods since they are the same GSh-23) is fairly decent when you can hit the targets, but, it has quite short range compared to other things we are used to strafe with, and as mentinoed before, MiG isn't quite a dive-attack platform, so gun strafing can be effective but tricky, and induces a large chance of lawn darting biggrin

Moderated by  Force10, Rudel 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.