Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4012507 - 09/21/14 10:03 AM A Humbling Experience  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
I had another day out yesterday, we hopped across to France for the day to check out some WW1 stuff.

First stop was the Canadian Memorial Park at Vimy Ridge:

Much of the land has been left untouched since the war, and is still pock marked with craters and you can also make out the remains of trenches.

Here's something pretty interesting... it's called the Broadmarsh Crater and lies next to the road that runs through the park between the memorial and the preserved trenches and visitor centre:

Very close to the Broadmarsh Crater is the Broadmarsh Mine. About 20 years ago volunteers from the British Army assisted the Canadian authorities in excavating the mine and making safe the 20,000lb of explosives that were still inside - which were laying under the ground right in the middle of the memorial park next to a road travelled by cars and buses full of tourists every day.

Here's the most forward point of the German lines on Vimy Ridge:

Stood in the most forward point of those trenches, the Canadians were just on the other side of the crater - very close:

These are the preserved Canadian observation trenches that were on the other side of that crater in the last pic:

Heading down the road back towards the memorial we visited the first Canadian Cemetary. Over two thousand graves here including more than six hundred Canadian, covering the entire span of the war:

Walking round this cemetary what struck me was the sheer diversity - English, Scot, Welsh, Irish, Canadian, Australian, New Zealander.... all buried together. The roll call of units and regiments is phenomenal, as was the number of graves with no name. One of the Canadian graves was for a sixteen year old. I also managed to find a couple of Royal Flying Corps graves, including a nineteen year old Lieutenant:

The Canadian Memorial at Vimy Ridge is hugely impressive:

The inscription on this wall reads:

"THE CANADIAN CORPS ON 9TH APRIL 1917 WITH FOUR DIVISIONS IN LINE ON A FRONT OF FOUR MILES ATTACKED AND CAPTURED THIS RIDGE"

One nice detail I liked was how the roads and avenues in the Canadian Memorial Park are all lined with maple trees:

We also visited the Thiepval Memorial, which is inscribed with the names of the 72,195 British and South African men who were lost on the Somme between 1915 and 1918 who have no known grave.

Next to the memorial are hundreds of unknown French and British soldiers buried alongside one another:

It would seem that driving through this part of northern France there are British and Commonwealth cemetaries from the Great War literally every mile or two. We must have passed dozens of them during the day. The main purpose of the day's trip was to visit one of these cemetaries in particular. Near the village of Neuville-Vitasse along a gravel track in the middle of a farmer's field is a small walled cemetary holding the graves of 86 British soldiers all killed on 9th April 1917.

Among them is the grave of my great-grandfather's brother:

My great-great-uncle Albert served in the 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regiment and was killed on the first day of the Arras Offensive in 1917, which saw 288,000 British (including Canadian, Newfoundland, Australian and New Zealand) and German casualties in 37 days.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to find some German cemetaries. I have visited Ypes in Belgium a couple of times and as well as Tyne Cot I also visited the German cemetary at Langemarck which although very different to the row upon row of white British headstones at Tyne Cot was a truly remarkable and touching place.

I thought it was quite fitting that I visited these places the day after the results of a referendum that would have seen the disollution of the United Kingdom. I was also reminded that the bonds between Britian, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are much deeper than just a common language, history and friendship.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4012515 - 09/21/14 11:20 AM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Yes...all these young lives cut in their momentum...A short search on the web and we learn that the RFC crew Boultbee/King, of N25 Sq. were shot down by MvR himself.

Last edited by kaa; 09/21/14 11:21 AM.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4012517 - 09/21/14 11:25 AM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
The 19 year old (Lt. A.E.Boultbee) was the 27th victory of Manfred von Richthofen. He was flying an F.E.2b.

Edit:I see kaa already posted as I was typing.

Last edited by Smosh; 09/21/14 11:26 AM.

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#4012518 - 09/21/14 11:29 AM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
You're both geniuses! I never thought to Google the names, and you are both indeed right!

Two things stood out for me - they were the only RFC graves in the cemetary, and the age of the Lieutenant. I think of myself at 19 and would I have been able to do what Lt Boultbee did.

#4012535 - 09/21/14 12:18 PM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
That is very impressive, thanks for sharing Peilstick.

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#4012564 - 09/21/14 02:07 PM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
One of my grandmother's brothers died at Vimy (April 16 1917) but is interned at Boulogne-sur-Mer. He was in the 38th Battalion (Eastern Ontario Regt).

She lost another brother 12 days later at Arras (1st R.M. Bn. R.N. Div., Royal Marine Light Infantry).

Another brother was lost at Cambrai Nov 20 1917 (7th Bn., Gordon Highlanders).

Only the first has a known grave.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4012577 - 09/21/14 02:58 PM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
It was interesting to note that a few of the names inscribed on the Thiepval Memorial had been removed - presumably because their graves have been indentified.

I remember reading in the last couple of years about a previously unknown grave with the remains of several dozen British soldiers was found in France, and they actually did a pretty good job of identifying all of them (I think it was all of them) and giving them properly identified war graves. So there are still people out there who are looking for the missing.

#4012593 - 09/21/14 04:10 PM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Good pics. Thanks for posting them. Sobering.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4012635 - 09/21/14 05:55 PM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
It's difficult to wrap one's mind around those numbers, but those pictures and the commentary certainly shed light upon the subject.

Well done, Pielstick. Thanks for sharing.

#4012666 - 09/21/14 07:08 PM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Very great post, it seemed longwinded at first to see all those markers, but as you scroll past them a second time it gives the tiniest of ideas how massive the loss of life was then.

#4012709 - 09/21/14 09:27 PM Re: A Humbling Experience [Re: Pielstick]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Pielstick
I think of myself at 19 and would I have been able to do what Lt Boultbee did.

People back then grew up a hell of a lot faster but then again, life in those times was much harsher so they had to.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/21/14 09:27 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.