Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4012055 - 09/20/14 12:33 AM Dev Update 79  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Hi Everybody!

The team has been working on the single player campaign (or AQM – advanced quick mission as we call it) for the whole week. The recent live stream shown on Friday was to demonstrate you some of the elements of that extensive mode. As you might guess, that’s a whole lot of work – to put that much content into this complicated system. You may have a lot of questions about this part of the project and you’ll find answers to many of them in the record of our latest live stream below.

Along with AQM, we’re completing the other elements of the sim. Today’s update brings you the technical chat (or technochat, sounds impressive). Anyway this feature is to tell you what happens to your plane: gears are released, an engine suffers from overheating, all your gunners are extensively bleeding, and so on. And of course you can always turn those off if you’re so hardcore.

Some peculiar DM improvement is to be deployed later today: incoming damage will be able to breaks rods used to control rudders and ailerons. It’s pretty hard to demonstrate such feature on a video for example so you’re free to try it yourself flying on a damaged aircraft in BOS. By the way, AI pilots will tend to bail out if those rods are damaged in their planes.

As it was planned from the very beginning, we’re adding deeper simulation step by step. Today is a good day for Messerschmitt pilots because they get to control all radiators manually.

Other changes are mostly about minor graphical fixes. Speaking of which: nVIDIA released new WHQL driver pack that features IL2BOS profile. So if you want to use your SLI-configuration in the game then just install the 344.11 version – the thing should work at least as good as in ROF.

Here goes the record of the live stream I promised. Have a good weekend everyone.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/page-2#entry164840

#4012061 - 09/20/14 12:45 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Go grind some XP for paintjob, and unlocks more missions....just like the real war!

#4012066 - 09/20/14 12:56 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I don't care about the paint jobs, never have in any sim.

Compared to the previous releases of CloD and ROF and Il-2 46 this looks like more care has been put into the SP campaign.

I wish this was in ROF, maybe that will be in ROF2.

A big thumbs up to 777 if they pull this off (without significant bugs of course), I'm genuinely surprised in a good way. thumbsup

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4012069 - 09/20/14 01:10 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan
I am seriously disappointed with this. They promised a single-player focused sim. What I see is a bunch of unconnected quick missions with no sense of continuity, no penalty for failure, and no reward other than some silly XP grind in order to unlock the next goody on the list.

S = k ln W
#4012072 - 09/20/14 01:17 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: mugwump]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: mugwump
I am seriously disappointed with this. They promised a single-player focused sim. What I see is a bunch of unconnected quick missions with no sense of continuity, no penalty for failure, and no reward other than some silly XP grind in order to unlock the next goody on the list.

AND unlockable PAINTJOBS and AIRFIELDS!!!!!!

'Yes, thats sarcasm smile

In all seriousness I am disappointed as well. If they didnt make a big deal out of pumping the SP part, I dont think I would be so letdown.

#4012075 - 09/20/14 01:34 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
"... like in Doom..."
Great eek

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4012080 - 09/20/14 02:01 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: mugwump]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: mugwump

Pretty much just this. Amazing that a developer can be so out of touch with his customers.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4012081 - 09/20/14 02:03 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
I need to go home and watch the video tonight, but I must confess that I'm rather concerned/disappointed by what I'm reading.

Still, I'll reserve judgement until I've actually watched the video.

---------
Pizzicato
#4012083 - 09/20/14 02:07 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

They stated no career like in ROF from the beginning of the project, how can people be disappointed? I am not because I didn't expect it and the campaign looks interesting.

Yes, I would love a deep dynamic career, choose a squadron and then the rest is up to you and your simulated commanders. Perhaps in time? Seriously this sim hasn't been in development for very long and is merely the beginning, Rome after all wasn't built in a day nor was the original Il2 game, this things are like wine, they get better with age and particularly with support.

#4012089 - 09/20/14 02:32 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
speck01 Offline
speck01  Offline

California
Just finished watching the video, and I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed. I really, really hope they reconsider some aspects and ask themselves -

"what benefit do these features bring to the single player flight sim enthusiast?

The general concept of the campaign being broken down into 5 historical chapters with generated missions you can choose from is interesting, sure maybe not what we'd want (i.e. a more typical squadron based single player campaign) but still, with their limited time I actually think it's pretty cool.

what's not cool, however, is having to worry about 'progression', 'xp', 'unlocking', and not being able to use a custom difficulty setting in the campaign!

What benefit does that bring me? How does that help me enjoy the game?

What if I want to fly with full engine management, but have external views or some other options that don't fall into one of two categories - I can't fly the campaign? I'm sorry but that's crazy.

Again, what good does that do for me? Why can't I just start whatever chapter of the campaign I'd like to? Why do I have to unlock planes in the campaign? It just seems like this arbitrary barrier to me enjoying the game.

#4012097 - 09/20/14 03:16 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Loft has built what he promised he would. He never said he would build the same system as ROF or 1946 or anything else. It's all there in the Dev Blogs.

I always knew some in the hardcore community wouldn't like this system, but luckily for you I am still here and will work with talented individuals in the community utilizing the tools like the ME and give as much support as I can so eventually there can be a Campaign that is a more like the other campaign systems you like. With the ME and a little programming talent an amazing dynamic Campaign system can be built along the lines of what Pat Wilson built for ROF over the past 3 years. It's really good and is a testament of what can be achieved with our technology.

The guys who want a certain type of deep role-playing campaign are not the average customer any more in this genre unfortunately. I'm one of the old school types myself too, but its not easy making a popular flying game these days with simply the older game-play designs.

What you will enjoy is a sim/game that WORKS with minimal bugs that prevent you from flying and fighting. That has always been the first priority. The role-playing and historical detail you may want will have to come later on, just as much of it has come from the community with all the other popular simulations ever made. This is actually where 90% of my fun has come from as a sim pilot the last 15 years.

It will all sort itself out in time.

Jason

#4012100 - 09/20/14 03:20 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Loft has built what he promised he would. He never said he would build the same system as ROF or 1946 or anything else. It's all there in the Dev Blogs.

I always knew some in the hardcore community wouldn't like this system, but luckily for you I am still here and will work with talented individuals in the community utilizing the tools like the ME and give as much support as I can so eventually there can be a Campaign that is a more like the other campaign systems you like. With the ME and a little programming talent an amazing dynamic Campaign system can be built along the lines of what Pat Wilson built for ROF over the past 3 years. It's really good and is a testament of what can be achieved with our technology.

The guys who want a certain type of deep role-playing campaign are not the average customer any more in this genre unfortunately. I'm one of the old school types myself too, but its not easy making a popular flying game these days with simply the older game-play designs.

What you will enjoy is a sim/game that WORKS with minimal bugs that prevent you from flying and fighting. That has always been the first priority. The role-playing and historical detail you may want will have to come later on, just as much of it has come from the community with all the other popular simulations ever made. This is actually where 90% of my fun has come from as a sim pilot the last 15 years.

Jason

That is good to hear. Thanks. I am glad to see you address these concerns. I hate waiting......

Most of my fun has come from the modders as well, DCG, HSFX, TF, etc. etc.

Last edited by lokitexas; 09/20/14 03:22 AM.
#4012106 - 09/20/14 03:41 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
speck01 Offline
speck01  Offline

California

Jason

That's nice to hear Jason (genuinely), but I still don't understand the reasons behind adding in what seem like arbitrary barriers to enjoyment, specifically - why limit people to only two these two difficulty modes to play the campaign? What's the point behind that?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what was said in the video of course.... it's not the campaign system I have a problem with, it's this weird thing of not being able to play the campaign the way I'd like to.

#4012115 - 09/20/14 04:27 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC

Jason

Thanks for the insights, Jason. I understand where you're coming from and the challenges you're facing. The vision for the campaign as described differs significantly from what I'd personally like to see, but I can understand why the team has gone the route that it has.

To be honest, the single biggest issue (or perhaps just open question) that I have pertains to randomness. What I really don't want to see is a rigidly structured "fly to the mission area because that's the only place your going to find the action". If there was always the possibility of jumping or being jumped by other flights at various points, that would really elevate the experience for me. Is that kind of emergence/randomness planned or built into the system at the moment?

Anyway, thanks again for the clarifications and additional perspective. Much appreciated.

---------
Pizzicato
#4012124 - 09/20/14 05:28 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

I noticed that waypoints not only have course and distance but are also are placed over landmarks. Just like in real life and this is very nice.

-C-

#4012126 - 09/20/14 05:34 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: Charlie_SB
I noticed that waypoints not only have course and distance but are also are placed over landmarks. Just like in real life and this is very nice.

-C-

Yeah, I thought that was an excellent touch, too.

---------
Pizzicato
#4012161 - 09/20/14 11:22 AM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
As I jeard it, maybe I heard wrong, the aircraft and weapon unlocks are for those who pay less for the game? 'Premium' buyers get the planes and weps?

[Linked Image]
#4012223 - 09/20/14 03:24 PM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: Sim]  
ru_disa Offline
ru_disa  Offline

I love the idea of a campaign with a progression system. I really like what I see so far.

Intel Core i7-920
GTX 560 ti 448 cores
Win7 64
#4012236 - 09/20/14 04:05 PM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: HeinKill]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
As I jeard it, maybe I heard wrong, the aircraft and weapon unlocks are for those who pay less for the game? 'Premium' buyers get the planes and weps?

Yeah, that was a bit of an oddity. I'm actually the type of player that likes to grind for stuff, but I bought the premium edition.

It would seem to cheapen the experience if I've got everything gifted to me from the outset. I wonder how that will actually work in practice.

---------
Pizzicato
#4012240 - 09/20/14 05:00 PM Re: Dev Update 79 [Re: HeinKill]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted By: HeinKill

In SP campaign "unlocks" planes is for "Standard" editon owners. "Premium" have all planes.

You start flying in Bf 109F and based on earned "XP" "unlock" Ju 87 and Bf 109-G (video at ~7:10).

After, playing with Ju-87 or Bf 109-G you "unlock" his weapons upgrates and skins. Etc.

In the next fase you are able to unlock He 111... later Fw 190 (this if bought as standalone)... etc.

Probable 90% of Early Access buyers have the "Premium" edition.

What ones that bought "Premium" edition until specific have as exclusivity is the Sturmovik rear gunner, supposed for use in MP - what is unlock for "Standard" - plus some custom skins (selected by vote on forum) and the gold tag icon.

The polemic point in this system is, to use some Bf 109 gun pack or LaGG rockets in MP, is need "unlock" then in SP campaing, that lead MP crowd complain that they dont want waste time in SP mode...

But none of these "unlocks" are a win factor.

Sokol1

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.