Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4011212 - 09/18/14 01:46 AM Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Hi all. I was pleasantly surprised today to find Steam automatically updating Rome II to the Emperor's Edition. I had been intrigued since it's announcement and was excited to see just how good CA's changes to the game would be. I intended to briefly check out the new developments. Several hours later I reluctantly saved my game and returned to the day's tasks. I had a pretty great time playing this latest iteration of Rome II. I had more fun than I can remember having with this game in the past. It seemed to me that there were a lot of new additions to the building tree for the Roman faction, at least. Although I am still unsure how the political system will work, it seemed to be more clear cut than it had been. I did make more use of it during this campaign. It seemed that there were worthwhile benefits to the random occurrences and political happenings, and I think that was a new addition. I also noticed positive changes in the campaign map and battle AI. I found myself having to think more tactically on the campaign map due to moves the AI made to counter my troop locations. In the real time battles I noticed a little more unpredictability from the AI. So, for those of you that have given the Emperor's edition a try: What are your first impressions?

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4011251 - 09/18/14 03:39 AM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm currently playing the new campaign as Lepidus and I can definitely see improvements with the AI behavior. I don't like the new color scheme of the UI though. The lighter colors are harder to see and distinguish IMHO. The new additions to the political aspect of the campaign are nice. Now you can see a direct relationship between your expansion and the traits of your factional leader.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4011264 - 09/18/14 04:20 AM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Playing as Lepidus? You must like to be the underdog wink. I have yet to try the new Augustus campaign, but I must say I found the idea of it very appealing. I agree on the new UI color scheme, although almost any color would be better than that awful purple color. I am still unsure why CA ever changed the color away from red in the first place. Yes, with the new political features there is finally a reason to secure promotions for your family members, or use your influence to undercut a powerful or dangerous rival. I have not seen much political intrigue thus far in my grand campaign, but what I have seen gives me hope that, perhaps further into the game, politics will be an important consideration.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
#4011316 - 09/18/14 10:39 AM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Speaking of the political faction in-fighting it doesn't really make sense to have it for the Augustus campaign since that is already reflected with the Second Triumverate. In other words it seems to be redundant to have the political backstabbing going on within your own faction and also between the 4 different Roman factions in the campaign.

As for playing as Lepidus, I always like being the underdog and then changing history!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4012147 - 09/20/14 09:25 AM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
I am really excited to get some more time on this latest version of the game. Unfortunately, I have been way too busy to play any more this week. I just ordered a better GPU and 16 gigs of faster RAM. Between the prospect of finally being able to play this game when its maxed out graphically and all of the positive changes that are apparently in this new edition I feel like a kid anticipating Christmas, haha.

#4012232 - 09/20/14 03:50 PM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
FrontierProject Offline
low-spec system simmer
FrontierProject  Offline
low-spec system simmer

Smalltown Minnesota
Anybody know what type of download sizes I'd be looking at to get it Steam playable from using a disc installation? I know TW games usually have huge patch downloads (Napy had 20gb) and I think I'll have to hold off for a while if its over 6gb.

"Burn them all."
--------------
Intel Core2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz
4GB RAM
Sparkle Geforce GTX460
#4012241 - 09/20/14 05:01 PM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Rome II recommended hard drive space for installation is 35 gigs. According to steam, I have 24.49 gigs of local content. I couldnt find any info on the actual size of the update, but hopefully this info will help you.

#4012404 - 09/21/14 01:38 AM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The Emperor's Edition update on Steam is 1.3 GB.

#4030249 - 11/01/14 11:24 AM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
I realize I am late to this party and I am totally new to these kind of games just having a cursory look over the years but having just started playing this it really looks good.
TBH, I am a little overwhelmed, not really got a clue about the tax and civic kinda stuff and just trying to get a grips with the Ui and moving troops around.

My question, what would be the best 3 tips you could give a total newb?
I have completed the 3 prologue missions and just started the grand campaign as Rome, but all in all as I love anything historic especially ancient history, I have a feeling I may be here quite some time, lovely looking game.

Thanks,
Mick. smile

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#4030364 - 11/01/14 07:24 PM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Its a fine series of games, and CA has really redeemed Rome 2 from its rocky start through additional development. I'm glad you like it. I can't speak for everyone but, for me, I would say that:

1) for economic management, you can build up to level 2 without incurring public order penalties. Anything higher needs to be evaluated to see if there is enough public order to sustain the hit from the new tier building. Same applies to food.

2) in battles, what works best for me is to whittle down the enemy with missile troops, behind my infantry. Then engage the enemy infantry with my own troops and then hit them in the flank or rear with cavalry or, if none is available, another infantry unit.

3) try to build a strong economy early on, at the expense of building up a big military. Just build enough to get the job done. Otherwise you'll have a hard time getting the money to build what you need later.

I hope you find these tips useful! Roma Invicta

#4030499 - 11/02/14 02:05 AM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Thanks for the tips VMIalpha454, I will certainly put them to good use,

2 and 3 will really come in handy as I tend to just throw everything at them, prob a noob thing.This game looks to be pretty big in it's scope and it has loads to delve into, I fear I have just scratched the surface, all in all great game so far.

I'll let you know how I fair and maybe ask for some help later on if that's OK.

Thanks,

Mick. smile

Winston Churchill

#4030529 - 11/02/14 04:23 AM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Sure! I will help any way that I can. Have fun and good luck. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

cheers

#4031107 - 11/03/14 03:30 PM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
A few tips to keep in mind,

1. Food management is very critical since a negative food supply will lead to immediate attrition of many of your garrisons and armies. Always make sure you have a positive food supply. Most buildings that give you food also have public order penalties so it's a balancing act that you have to do.

2. Use your dignitary agents (in deployed mode) in provinces where your culture is not the dominant one. Dignitaries help a lot in converting the province you just conqured to your culture.

3. Armies have their own transports so you don't need a separate navy to pick them up and transport them. Navies are still good to have though for bombardment of coastal cities.

4. As a general rule, spear equipped infantry excel in the defense while sword equipped infantry excel in the attack. This can make a big difference in whether you win or lose a 3D battle.

5 Outflank, outflank, outflank! Knowing how to use cavalry to make outflanking attacks is a huge part of winning battles. Always have a at least 3-4 cavalry units in each of your armies.

#4031209 - 11/03/14 06:05 PM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Cheers for the tips PanzerMeyer. cheers

Mick. smile

Winston Churchill

#4031240 - 11/03/14 06:57 PM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Another tip, this one I actually got from Panzermeyer: don't forget to pay attention to each unit's special tactical abilities. During the heat of battle I had a tendency to pay too much attention to maneuvering and then forget to kick my troops into "turbo" at the appropriate moments. smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4031249 - 11/03/14 07:12 PM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I've found the "inspire" ability from higher ranked generals to be the most useful ability because it can sometimes be enough to prevent units in the process of routing from completely routing and leaving the battlefield.

#4034708 - 11/11/14 06:23 PM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
I'm hooked after playing this quite a lot recently.I am finding it a challenge though trying to keep abreast of everything but the game is just beautiful and plays really well.

I have been watching a lot of YT videos and trying to get to grips with it but don't seem to get very far before losing but learning all the time.
The presentation for Attila looks very nice with all the upgrades they have done and I will likely get that when it appears, don't know how I missed this one though, prob all the bugs and stuff at launch that put me off having a look, the game is pretty deep and with so much to do, really enjoying it.

Games or sims that get me watching related media I think are great, they suck you into the time period and really put you in the mood. Been watching a lot of documentaries about the factions and different cultures included in the game and have really enjoyed them, makes the whole experience a lot more than simply playing a game.

Mick. smile

Winston Churchill

#4035019 - 11/12/14 02:01 PM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: VMIalpha454]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Glad to hear you are enjoying the game 3instein. I know what you mean about games getting you to watch related media and thus increasing the sense of immersion. Just watch "Gladiator" and the HBO series "Rome" and you'll be as excited as ever when you fire up Rome TW 2!

#4035359 - 11/13/14 11:09 AM Re: Rome II Emperor's Edition first impressions [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Glad to hear you are enjoying the game 3instein. I know what you mean about games getting you to watch related media and thus increasing the sense of immersion. Just watch "Gladiator" and the HBO series "Rome" and you'll be as excited as ever when you fire up Rome TW 2!

You got me man, I D/L the first series of HBO Rome and I'm half way through and D/L Gladiator to watch tonight for the umpteenth time, it does get you pretty fired up Lol.

I don't know if you have seen these? They are Rome 2 TW videos done with a documentary style narration, they are pretty slick and beat some so called docs I have watched before, the guy has obviously put a lot of work into them, wish they were more TBH.

Mick. smile

Winston Churchill

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.