Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4011129 - 09/17/14 09:46 PM SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Requires DOSBox or DOS, download less than 1MB...

http://198.65.10.229/DID/Temp/SWDEMO.ZIP

Does the self-running demo (action sequences separated by artwork screens) play smoothly on your PC under DOSBox? Both the game (from GOG) and demo run poorly on mine (desktop and laptop), although I haven't exhausted DOSBox tweaking. I also need more PC for Tornado and F-14FD, even though the higher-res APACHE/HIND and EF2000 (non-3Dfx DOS) run fine.

Side note: The latest GOG update for F-117 fixes digitized speech (my last remaining problem), all is running perfectly now including programmable joystick ( Logitech Wingman). Back in the '90s I played F-117 with a 2-button stick, it's nice having 2D pit views mapped to the hat. I also mapped throttle up and down keys to JS buttons (throttle is in 10% increments), not sure if sliding JS throttle can be used with this game.

EDIT: SW.EXE DEMO.BAT to run in self-running mode.

Last edited by MarkG; 09/17/14 10:12 PM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4011136 - 09/17/14 10:08 PM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Oops, correction...

SW.EXE = playable game demo.

DEMO.BAT = self-running demo.

So please try DEMO.BAT (just type DEMO).

Last edited by MarkG; 09/17/14 10:13 PM.
#4011439 - 09/18/14 05:26 PM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
ADorante Offline
ADorante  Offline

Aah Subwar! I found the scenario disk once for 2.50 Deutsche Mark in a bargain bin and added it to my collection with the main program. Too bad I had already thrown away the old PC that could run this game.

"It's people like you that give people like you a bad name!"
- Jessica Jones
#4011455 - 09/18/14 05:57 PM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
FrenchToast Offline
FrenchToast  Offline

QuebecLand
Actually ADorante, you can buy it again on Good Old Games, it will tun on modern systems !

FT

#4011458 - 09/18/14 06:04 PM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
ADorante Offline
ADorante  Offline

Thanks FT! I'm a regular at GOG, so with my huge pile of shame over there I waited for a sale. I'm happy to report that Subwar 2050 is already in my GOG account.
It was just when I stumbled over the scenario disk I had the time but not the device, now 10-15 years later everything has turned the opposite.

Last edited by ADorante; 09/18/14 06:07 PM.

- Jessica Jones
#4011539 - 09/18/14 10:06 PM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Nice pics! thumbsup

I see you have a printed copy of "Under Currents" magazine! As you know GOG's "SUBWAR 2050 COMPLETE" comes with the PDF, a very cool read with the game-related news stories and advertisements. Extra touches like this really pulls me into a game!

For those not familiar with Subwar 2050, the first review on GOG.com (broken into paragraphs)...

==========
"This is a nice futuristic submarine simulator, combat aspects included hiding from the enemy, active/passive sonar to target and track enemy subs. Violent turns even create turbulence that decoy incoming torpedoes, running full speed will generate loud noise that will announce your presence to everyone listening as well. Add thermal layers (active sonar will be reflected by those) at different depths and wildlife (yes, the occasional wale and even gigantic calamari/octopi show up as well), whats not to like?

Gameplay wise you get to visit many locations that sometimes require specific subs (very deep sea level will crush the smaller more agile models), missions consist mainly of search and destroy and pre planned strikes or patrol duties, some have triggers so you can count with some surprises along the way as well.

Most missions will give you a wingman as well, basic commands can be transmitted by short laser communication (as mentioned elsewhere, the undercurrents manual/magazine is a great read with some historic submarine facts).

As this is "the future", getting killed or captured can be dealt with the right amount of money, however sub selection and weapon load out at mission start is free of charge.

The only thing preventing me from giving this one 5 stars is the sometimes repetitive combat, but that is inevitable while dealing with submarines I guess."
==========

A balanced review..
SUBWAR 2050 is a mixed bag. It has quite a lot good and bad about it.

========
"Underwater sites include very nicely defined thermal layers, wonderful terrain with cliffs and mountains, and man-made things (a sunk U-boat, mines, torpedoes, many really neat subs, buildings, etc). It looks like at some point there will be aircraft to confront as they are also included in the graphics file. One nice touch - the deeper you go, the darker the screen gets. If you dive into a pit, it becomes really dark and you have to fly pretty much using the instruments. The nice thing about pits are that terrain blocks sonar, allowing you to use pop-up tactics like in COMANCHE. Thermal layers also block sonar. However, you can see and fire through them."
=========

I haven't been this smitten by a game since F-117 (surprise, surprise...more stealth under the 'Microprose' label, although as publisher).

#4011546 - 09/18/14 10:16 PM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I always preferred Schleichfahrt/Archimedean Dynasty.

ahoy

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4011691 - 09/19/14 04:15 AM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: Para_Bellum]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
I always preferred Schleichfahrt/Archimedean Dynasty.

ahoy

Interesting, another DOS gem?

640x480 graphics, nice...
Moby Games - Archimedean Dynasty

Found a playable demo (8MB), looking forward to trying it.

This needs to be made available on GOG.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4011749 - 09/19/14 10:08 AM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Yeah, it's one of my favourite DOS games. Last time I played it I used a glide wrapper and it worked pretty fine. I still have the CD somewhere. biggrin

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4011762 - 09/19/14 12:06 PM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
ADorante Offline
ADorante  Offline

BlueByte's Schleichfahrt- such beautiful (neon) underwater colors.
There will be a Schleichfahrt 2 by a lesser known company this year or later.

- Jessica Jones
#4012114 - 09/20/14 04:15 AM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
1. Scratch my original post about the demos and game not running smoothly in DOSBox, all is well now.

2. I don't have the full Archimedean Dynasty game yet so I can't fairly compare with Subwar 2050.

I've purchased full boxes from this site (e.g. TAW, EEAH, Eurofighter Typhoon, Wargasm), but Archimedean Dynasty is sold out...

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/archimed.htm

Judging by the time-limited demo it's newer with a higher resolution than Subwar, but Subwar to me has a creepier and more immersive atmosphere (also slower paced, as I would expect underwater). Not since F-117 have I played a game with lights dimmed and completely losing myself in the game world. It wows me that only a few MBs can suck me in like this, and I haven't even stumbled across the wreck of the Titanic yet!

But Archimedean Dynasty is also immersive and looks to have even better reviews, so if I come across it I'll buy it.

Last edited by MarkG; 09/20/14 04:22 AM.
#4012178 - 09/20/14 12:31 PM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
I have Subwar 2050 too and it is a very nice game for its time but I always found it rather ridiculous that I needed 5 torpedos hits to kill an enemy so running out of ammo was pretty common.

Archimedean Dynasty is more underwater Wing Commander but has actually a better backgroundstory which basically is beyond post apocalyptic and is very atmospheric.
Aquanox and Aquanox 2 are sequels (sort of) but while the graphics are still decent today I didn't find the story and atmosphere as compelling as from Archimedean Dynasty.

#4012697 - 09/21/14 08:41 PM Re: SubWar 2050 (Particle Systems / MicroProse) self-running demo [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Last night I downloaded the Archimedean Dynasty Manual from replacementdocs.com, a little hard to read and navigate but I read it through. Here's my take...

The game is a little too much...too much of a convoluted storyline (including a love interest?), too much role playing (apparently the full game has lots of between-mission dialog to choose from), and just too many options.

In contrast, Subwar 2050 (only 35 years into the future vs. several hundred) is the underwater equivalent of F-19, including a cockpit "stealth meter". Just swap RCS for SCS ("Sonar Cross-Section") and infrared for noise. Even the default keys seem a little more like a typical Microprose flight sim to me.

Subwar is older so graphics are not as detailed, but are still pretty IMO...
http://www.old-games.com/download/920/subwar-2050-aga

I think Particle Systems had a way with taking a minimal number of pixels and colors and still making graphics pleasing to the eye...
http://www.old-games.com/download/4234/evasive-action

Both games rely on stealth game-play but more so with Subwar 2050 (although I don't believe Subwar models underwater currents allowing you sneak past an enemy with no propulsion). I do like the Subwar references to Hunt for Red October and the future advancements made in the storyline with quieter yet powerful propulsion.

However, if Archimedean Dynasty is ever released at GOG I won't hesitate to purchase.

Last edited by MarkG; 09/21/14 08:46 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.