Hop To
#4010574 - 09/16/14 05:33 PM Basic 1.40 installation available  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
20th June 2020

I often see readers looking at this thread. The 2014 download link is dead, and I have removed it.
All of the features shown are included in the UAW160 2020 installation, which does not need the CDF files.
I have left the other posts in the thread here just for reference

*************************************************************************************************************************

In line with a development in another thread I have put together a basic installation download, and am making it public.

1. You need to make a new folder and name it "EAW140"
2. Put copies of the following CDFs in it as they are not included:

Movies.CDF
Music.CDF
Speech1.CDF
Speech2.CDF
Speech3.CDF
UKBrief.CDF
USBrief.CDF
WSOUND.CDF

3. If you have one put a copy of your "eaw.ini" file in it.

4. Download this file which is a 7-zip self installer, put it in your "EAW140" folder, and run it:

You will get the 1.40 equivalent of the EAW 1.2 installation plus additional stuff that the exe needs.
It is set up to be expanded by downloading more theatres such as the extended ETO version with four planesets, SPAW, DAW, SAW and IRAQ. Some of these make good use of features in 1.40 that are not present in other exes.

wink Jel

Last edited by MrJelly; 06/20/20 06:20 AM. Reason: Dead link removed

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4010600 - 09/16/14 06:23 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

CTD when flying instant mission "Can't open plane.dat 0"

Supports EAW 1.29.exe, Drop in and Play Technology. wink

1.29 download
#4010619 - 09/16/14 07:00 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Col I get that when i dont choose a planeset in the dir set picker

Russ
Semper Fi
#4010635 - 09/16/14 07:18 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Use the DirSetExeManager and these settings:

Planeset1 needs to be selected even though it is the only one available.
You always need to have a planeset selected in EAW 1.40 smile

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4010653 - 09/16/14 07:52 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Don't wish to be a nit pickers, but this is supposed to work off the default menu. Is there no way to run it off the menu?

1.29 download
#4010669 - 09/16/14 08:36 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

It can, but you still need to select a planeset:

It is easier to use the manager, especially when you have a selection of theatres.

Because there are no slots the flight files files all have the same names
What was "p38h.flt" is now "plne.flt"
What was "p38j.flt" is now "plne.flt"
What was "p47c.flt" is now "plne.flt"
What was "v1v1.flt" is now "plne.flt"

It is the same system for the aircraft skin 3dz and tpc files.
Therefore the slot free files cannot be stored in CDFs, and that is why the planeset system is needed.

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4010672 - 09/16/14 08:49 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Hi Tony.

K I got it to work with the manager, after a few errors caused by not clicking on the [1] box.

ou jave one aillien model and skin. The Mosquito is an updated model not a Default Release one. wink

1.29 download
#4010679 - 09/16/14 08:58 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Ralf used it as the default because it is flyable, and has a proper cockpit.

This is why you need the manager:

Used in a different folder smile

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4010685 - 09/16/14 09:15 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Well, it's not Vanilla, so can you replace it, so we have a clean install. smile

1.29 download
#4010847 - 09/17/14 07:46 AM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I cannot see any advantage in what you suggest.
1.40 cannot use the old "picplna/b/g" system, so if a bomber is flagged as flyable then it is selectable.
I agree with those who think that the level bombers should be non-flyable, but a lot of people like flying the Mosquito, and you can also have quite a bit of fun in a Stuka or the Me410, as they are not level bombers.

I did try out your suggestion, by extracting and converting the original skin files. When I flew this Mosquito I had no cockpit view and no gunsight. The loadout graphics were incorrect too.

The current set-up works as a basic download to give people a chance to install and try 1.40, and that is my intention.
I have already had PMs from people wanting to download other scenarios.

wink Jel

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4010932 - 09/17/14 01:59 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks Jell getting set to install it now

Russ
Semper Fi
#4011389 - 09/18/14 02:28 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hi Mr. Jelly,

Been a while. Just stopped by and saw this post about 1.40. I've done some looking and I can't find any more information about it here on the forums. Could you point me towards what the improvements in 1.4 are? Definitely looking to get back into EAW and always enjoyed the ETO the most - nothing like a bomber intercept mission to get the pulse up. Hope you're doing well and thanks in advance for your reply.

#4011426 - 09/18/14 04:54 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Here you go Capt.

http://www.users.on.net/pam_biddell/140Basic.exe

Then rea the bit about planes.dat 0 error, and all will be fine. wink

1.29 download
#4011445 - 09/18/14 05:35 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

For Capt Sopwith smile
The evolution of EAW 1.40- a quick overview:

From the development of the first version of 1.28 many new features have been added to the eaw.exe, so many in fact that I cannot remember them all.
We tried to add things that people wanted, such as:

Gun convergence
Multiskins
Increased multiplayer choices
Smoky engine starts
The display of flyable planes for selection in single missions
Use of bmp textures
Elevated aircraft carriers

We added things that we really wanted too:
Split 30 plane files such as the old "planes.dat", "loadout.dat" and "pnames.str" so that a plane could have its individual files rather than just the skin files and "*.flt" file.

We developed the "Dir.set" system so that the exe would look in nominated folders for files, rather than have file managers like OAW put copies of files in the root directory. Out of this emerged 'plane' folders, and scenario folders containing 'planeset' folders which contain "PDir.set" and "FMDir.set" files which the exe reads to locate the skin and flight data files for each aircraft.

A lot of data was hard coded in the original exe, and often the comment "This should be moved into a file" appears quite frequently in the source code. So we did that, in particular for the TMod table, the bump tile mapping table and the special texture links table. Each TMod can now have its individual data file.

The tile system was very limiting because a single byte contained both the tile ID and its orientation. That allowed a maximum of 64 tile types. Will Gee came up with a sytem which has four bytes for each tile, so in theory it is possible to have 1000s of different tiles, and some people have already made tile sets with more than 64 tiles in them. The previous single byte "eaw.tm" file was replaced by the new four byte "eaw32.tm" file, and the old "EAW_TTD.DAT" was replaced by the "Geawttd.dat" file.
The maximum number of TMod types was increased to 1000, and the maximum TMods per tile to 256.

Lots of nice little things were done, one of my favourites is the ability to set the mission time, in line with sunrise and sunset. Ralf had made many changes to flight modelling, including getting AI aircraft to park on carriers.

New things were done in 1.29. I made it possible for the exe to read a file to get the tilemap size. This meant that we were no lomger locked into 640x320, but it requred a new way of drawing the base/target selection and inflight map. The new map files are very basic, and could be more elaborate, but they are built from the tilemap file and the bases and targets are placed exactly where they should be.
I also used some data in the railway files to make it possible to have multitrack rail lines, and tracks which are not rendered which allow barge and ship convoys to travel on invisible rail tracks on rivers and lakes and the sea.

Ralf started 1.30 using a slot free system. The "p38h" ..."v1v1" names have gone, and you can put a plane in any slot. After he stopped EAW work I continued and switched it to 1.40, which has an extra mission type- a torpedo strike.
Because it is slot free the 'planeset' system is essential. Many files in CDFs, and even whole CDFs became redundant, and capitalising on the way the "Savedata" folder in the root folder is used in 1.40 I was able to produce a version of 1,40 which does not use CDFs at all,

File management is done almost exclusively by the "DirSetExeManager" program. In a couple of mouseclicks we can switch between ETO basic, ETO full, ETO with barges (on the Thames, Seine and Elbe), SAW, DAW, SPAW, SPAW45 and Moggy's Middle East.

This is my complete EAW 1.40 CDF free folder:

You would like a bomber intercept?

wink

Last edited by MrJelly; 06/04/15 11:03 AM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4011789 - 09/19/14 02:35 PM Re: Basic 1.40 installation available [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Some shots from ETOBargeTrain. I was flying a friendly so I did not get shot at by the armed trains in order to get these screenies. The four track railway line starts at the NW of London and basically heads North, so I took off from Kenley flew over the Thames and then up the railway line.

Tugs and barges on the Thames:

Passenger and armed goods trains heading in opposite directions:

One feature in 1.40 is the ability to reduce train spawning. It is set at a maximum level, but if there is a "TrainChance.mpf" file in the root or scenario folder with a value from 0 to 255 in it the exe reads it and generates a random number (0-255). If this is less than the number in the "TrainChance.mpf" file then the train is spawned. So if you put a value of 10 in that file there would be very few trains spawned.

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.