Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4010310 - 09/15/14 11:47 PM Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ

Wow.

This is live music , not cds or mp3s.

Quote:
Apparently, even if the band members use something as minor as a Led Zeppelin riff while they tune-up their instruments thats a violation.

Quote:
I said the hell with it! We only have music on Friday nights. Its not worth $3000. How is a neighborhood restaurant running on a razor-thin margin in this economy supposed to afford an extra $3000? So I cancelled the band. Net result? Our customers suffered, local music suffered. A complete lose-lose situation.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4010325 - 09/16/14 01:12 AM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: Ajay]  
DetCord Offline
DetCord  Offline

Fort Riley, Kansas
Now that's just #%&*$# ridiculous. I understand protecting your IP, that's a given. But #%&*$# like this is getting out of control.

Ex-pat Kiwi currently serving in the U.S. Army
#4010331 - 09/16/14 01:39 AM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: Ajay]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
The music industry is writing their own obituary. This is just them bobbing for air before sinking down for the third time.

Cory da man!

Question everything!
#4010351 - 09/16/14 03:38 AM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: Ajay]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
The music labels are indeed desperate. Album sales have plummeted over the past 10 years and most artists now get most of their money from touring.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/02/news/companies/napster_music_industry/

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5638056/us-album-sales-hit-historic-lows

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4010357 - 09/16/14 04:04 AM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: Ajay]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Well at least most mp3 albums are priced right who remembers paying $18.99 for a CD. Now you can get an album for around 9.99 on Itunes.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4010362 - 09/16/14 05:39 AM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: Ajay]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I say, we need more of these cases to demonstrate how stupid and corrupt the current legislation is so that there's a chance to see the law changed (and for once, not in the favor of industry). Usually I'm sitting "on the other side of the fence" but these exceptionally long times of protection are ridiculous (and we have them almost exclusively based on the wishes of a single corporation: Disney). I still don't understand what the "70" is needed for in the regulation "the author's life plus 70 years". This is an outflow of dynastic thinking, that the children and grandchildren of artists should also profit from the original work.

Make a fortune of your own and get a job, I say.

Mark my words: In 2017/18 Disney will lobby for another 20 year extension to prevent Steamboat Willie leaving corporate harbors.

#4010367 - 09/16/14 06:22 AM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: Ajay]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Yeah I kinda agree but anyone that tries to change the corrupt system gets SUED!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4010378 - 09/16/14 08:14 AM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: Ajay]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
By extension, this means that every kid who walks into a guitar shop, picks up a guitar and starts playing is liable to getting sued for violation.

The problem is that if you collect all of the crap that the music industry does into a single place, the breadth and depth of their duplicity makes it look like like a conspiracy theory site.

#4010407 - 09/16/14 11:44 AM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
This is one of my favourite stories about music and the whole movie/muisc/copywright side of the industry in general. Concerns the piece of music you hear when you fire up a dvd, the music piece that goes with the whole..you wouldn't steal a car, you wouldn't steal a handbag etc..

Quote:
Most countries have a music royalty collection agency. It monitors radio, TV and movies to make sure that musicians get paid when the music that they wrote is played. In Holland, the Dutch music royalty collection agency is called Buma/Stemra.

Back in 2006, Buma/Stemra approached a Dutch musician, Melchior Reitveldt, to write some music for an anti-piracy ad, with the strict proviso that this music would be played only and exclusively at a local film festival. Mr. Reitveldt wrote the music, it was played, he got paid and all was well.

But then, in 2007, he bought a Harry Potter DVD and to his surprise, there was his music in the anti-piracy ad at the beginning. His composition had been taken and used without his permission. In fact, it had been illegally used on dozens of movie DVDs, both in Holland and overseas. You probably have one at home right now.

So Mr. Reitveldt went to the Buma/Stemra music royalty collection agency to clear up this misunderstanding, and ran into a brick wall. Nothing happened for a long time, and then pathetically small refunds were offered, and then they weren't paid in full, and the delaying tactics went on and on.

Finally, in 2011, about half a decade after the original theft of his music, there was a kind of a breakthrough. One of the directors of Buma/Stemra music royalty collection agency, Mr Jochem Gerrits, spoke to him personally, offering to speed things up. Everything would proceed nicely, if the musician, Mr. Reitveldt, would simply sell the contested piece of music to him, Mr Gerrits. The payout would be one million Euros, and Mr Gerrits would keep one third for all his trouble and hard work, and the musician, Mr. Reitveldt, would keep two thirds.

It's a bit like having somebody steal your property, you report it to the police, and after a lot a dilly-dallying, a senior police officer approaches you offering to give two-thirds of your property back to you, if you give them one third.

Luckily, the musician recorded the conversation. The crooked director of the Buma/Stemra music royalty collection agency had to resign. In June 2012, the court ordered Buma/Stemra to repay the money.

Today, in the new world of the interweb, copyright is complicated. In the old days, if you bought a book, you could give or lend it to a friend. But it's different now. A woman in Duluth, Minnesota did the modern equivalent by sharing 24 songs that had a total retail value of $23.76. The Recording Industry Association of America sued, and the court awarded them $222,000.

In terms of the multiplication factor, that has to be a runaway, chart-busting solid gold smash hit

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4010434 - 09/16/14 01:01 PM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander
Well at least most mp3 albums are priced right who remembers paying $18.99 for a CD. Now you can get an album for around 9.99 on Itunes.

Well, I remember buying CDs for $9-10, and I still do. I paid $11 for the Frozen soundtrack, I think those 3 Green Day CDs were all $10 each, all at Target.

If you're buying a CD in a mall, don't.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4010450 - 09/16/14 01:28 PM Re: Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song [Re: Jedi Master]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

If you're buying a CD in a mall, don't.

The Jedi Master
Bingo. Any and all of those mall stores that sell DVD's and CD's have major mark-ups. They're mostly gone now though for obvious reasons.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/16/14 01:29 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.