Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4004273 - 09/03/14 04:19 AM Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Good, bad or ugly, what are some moments/scenes in movies that impacted you or left an impression on you for one reason or another as a kid when you saw them?

I know I probably have many but I can only come up with a few right now.

Glory: When Denzel Washington's character is being whipped. Being a boy of eight and not understanding what was going on and why, I began crying bad enough that my folks had to temporarily stop the movie to calm me down and explain it to me.

Poltergeist: I'm not sure how it is that I saw this at such a young age,(probably younger than eight) but the scene where the stuffed clown drags the kid under the bed. In all seriousness that traumatized me. I think back and when I was a very young kif, five to seven, I used to sleep on the floor in the hallway with the light in the bathroom turned on and the door cracked. I can't help but wonder if that coincided with seeing that movie or not.

Witness: The scene where the Amish boy witnesses the two crooked cops murdering another man in the bathroom by putting a plastic bag around his head and cutting his throat. That scared me just as bad.

Jeremiah Johnson: When Jeremiah finds the dead mountain man and pulls the Hawkins rifle from his frozen hands.

Excalibur: Now I did not see this movie in its entirety as a kid for obvious reasons but I was allowed to see some of it. What stuck in my mind as a kid aside from the cool and eerie things like the lady of the lake's hand coming out of the water, was the last battle, with the look and sound of wet, muddy and blood covered armor being pierced by lances and swords.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4004275 - 09/03/14 04:25 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Escape from Sobibor

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4004280 - 09/03/14 04:43 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
Chestburster- Alien

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#4004281 - 09/03/14 04:53 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
1. American Werewolf in London when I was 11, the scene with the first change into wolf.

2. Who Dares Wins - whole damn film.

3. The Thing (Kurt Russell) - stomach eater scene.

4. Platoon - the rape scene made me feel I did not know the world I was growing up in.

5. Stand By Me - cried my eyes out at the end voiceover, still do.

6. Not a movie but TV series called Rabies, scared the s**t out of me and thought the channel tunnel opening would
being the disease to UK and everyone would die!

7. Behind Enemy Lines/P.O.W : The Escape (1986 with David Carridine) - Would probably hate it now but back
then I rented that film so many times........loved it.

#4004282 - 09/03/14 04:55 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Top Gun, Pretty Much the Entire Movie.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4004283 - 09/03/14 05:01 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
Empire of the sun - P51 mustang. Cadillac of the sky!

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
#4004284 - 09/03/14 05:05 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Bambi's mother dies.

The fight aboard the shuttle and death of Optimus Prime sequence in Transformers the Movie.

The part with the Sphinxes and where Bastien chases the bullies on Falkor in The Neverending Story movie.

#4004285 - 09/03/14 05:09 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Bo Derek topless in Tarzan.
Phoebe Cates topless in Fast Times.
Adrienne Barbeau topless in Swamp Thing

But seriously:
Smokey and the Bandit, anything with the TA
Star Wars/ESB...Han Solo (shooting first)...and of course seeing someone going from a nobody to the hero. It wasn't as common a theme back then as it is now, and rarely in such grand fashion.
Raiders of the Lost Ark...you can be both smart and adventuresome.
Forbidden Planet....realizing Man could very well be far behind another alien race. That movie was on a scale that still impresses me with the self-maintained alien tech.
Robinson Crusoe on Mars....going from astronaut to primitive
Robin Hood (1938)....the swagger throwing the deer in front of Prince John, in the enemy's den with no backup...laughing off losing a fair fight with Little John
Jeremiah Johnson had an affect on me too. The will to divorce the world, even largely unprepared and make it work impressed me a lot. I think I've always held it in the back of my mind that if things ever got too bad, I could give that a shot and leave it all behind.
El Dorado...when John Wayne drops off the dead boy he shot, confronting the father that it was largely his fault for misinforming the boy....passing up the contract on his friend.
The Color Purple, as well as the book....you may start out from meager beginnings and a hard life, but things can change drastically, you can be happy.

Can I add a book?
Tom Sawyer. When I was a kid, that was amazing. I must've read it 5 times between 8 and 12 years old. The part where the boys went and lived on the island was just plain heaven to me, fishing and camping out, making a retreat, sneaking around town etc. I even made corn cob pipes, although I didn't try to smoke. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4004300 - 09/03/14 07:15 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

1)When the policemen shoot Robocop in the Police station underground parking- I was 8 or something and it hurt to see good policemen shooting another good guy. frown

2)Enemy mine- the whole movie.

3)Always- I realised this movie was meaningful to me only thank to another thread just few minutes ago. How to learn to let go, the good that can come from sacrifice. I know, probably there's better but... I was a kid. And he loved her... darkcloud

4)Back to the future- the first. It's the first movie I remember that I could follow through without problems. I was 6. My father just rented it out and wanted me to watch it with him, even though that meant staying up late (Ten o'clock at night! OH MYY!)... It was an impressively good movie- and I'll always remember how happy my father was. I was the only child he had back then, and... it was... good.

5)Star wars the first. (I mean episode 4) A boy, an average boy, could become a hero! :O ME TOO!

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4004302 - 09/03/14 07:37 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Finding the half-eaten body of Ben Gardner under his boat in Jaws. I didn't dare to take a bath for a week afterwards.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#4004309 - 09/03/14 08:22 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Watership Down. General Woundwort and the battles in the warrens scared me me half to death! I remember having nightmares as a 6 year old eek

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#4004310 - 09/03/14 08:28 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: komemiute]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Originally Posted By: komemiute
1)When the policemen shoot Robocop in the Police station underground parking- I was 8 or something and it hurt to see good policemen shooting another good guy. frown

The first bloody death scene in Robocop in which my father shuts off the video and sends back the tape.

Last edited by DaBBQ; 09/03/14 08:28 AM.
#4004311 - 09/03/14 08:31 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: DaBBQ]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: DaBBQ

The first bloody death scene in Robocop in which my father shuts off the video and sends back the tape.

LOL, my father simply had me to turn around and not see half the movie...

About Watership Down- I watched it a month or two after Back to the future, 6 years old, and that thing... freaked the leaving hell out of me. Couldn't go to the potty for a week.

Last edited by komemiute; 09/03/14 08:31 AM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4004312 - 09/03/14 08:40 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: DaBBQ]  
undercovergeek Offline
undercovergeek  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: DaBBQ

yeah, i was 18 when i saw it and it still disturbed me - the uncut scene of him being 'killed' by the bad guys with the shotguns - i felt numb when i saw it

2 for jaws - as mentioned, Ben and his head, and then in 2 the leg slowly sinking to the seabed with a sock and trainer still on it

on the very edge of my memory is the champ at the end, parents were in the kitchen at the time when i was watching at the other side of the house, they came to get me when they heard the sobs, tv had to be switched off and a lot of hugging - i think it was the first time i realised parents could die

And storm boy with the pelican - much tears

and Sean Connery getting shot in the untouchables and trying to pass the message on before he dies

and then i grew up and turned into a stoney hearted adult until the last 10 minutes of the last batman - everytime!!!

to the extent i had to google 'why does batman make me cry' only to find i was not alone

#4004313 - 09/03/14 08:49 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Want to talk about tears from grown ups?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2378281/

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4004315 - 09/03/14 08:53 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
Scoobe Offline
Scoobe  Offline

2001 a Space Odyssey, When the Ape/man picks up the bone and in slow motion and crashes it down on the skull.

I was 4 1/2 years old when my parents took me to see this movie. (first movie I saw in a theater). It was way over my head (still is).

I just saw the ape as the bogie man that lived in our basement. I was crying so load in the theatre, my mom had to take me out to the lobby and calm me down, when we came back in, it was set in outer space and calming classical music, so I was OK for the rest of the movie.

Rob

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
#4004316 - 09/03/14 08:56 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: komemiute]  
undercovergeek Offline
undercovergeek  Offline

UK

lol, as a single father with a 7 year old daughter - im not going anywhere near that!!!

oh i forgot My Beautiful Life - because we'd all want to be that father

#4004318 - 09/03/14 09:00 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: undercovergeek]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: undercovergeek

lol, as a single father with a 7 year old daughter - im not going anywhere near that!!!

oh i forgot My Beautiful Life - because we'd all want to be that father

smile It's one of the greatest movie ever. You'll laugh for almost the whole movie.
Everyone should REALLY see it.

About the last one, I though you meant My Life with Micheal Keaton... That made me cry too.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4004319 - 09/03/14 09:02 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: Coot]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Watership Down, we watched it in grade Seven so 12-13 years old. It was good to get out in the sun afterwards. Very surreal day.

Jaws. Still worried at the beach when i am in the water and look around with my eyes at water level biggrin

Fritz the Cat, one of my friends older brothers had a copy, we watched it when we were 12 or so and we were all like..what the hell.

Evil Dead, same thing, same brother. He made us watch it stoned, first time, and i vividly remember getting scared and spinning out at the opening credits as the camera was panning through the forests with the chilling music and telling him to turn it off ! he didn't biggrin

An American Werewolf in London. Always thought it was just a great movie. The dream scene was trippy.

E.T more for the fact that one of my dads mates had a copy of it on video before it was released here in Oz. I remember watching it, with Dad, his girlfriend, my two sisters and my dads mate and kids, and thinking..how is it possible that we are watching this and it isn't even in the movies yet ?

Return of the Jedi, a mate had flown down to hang with me for two weeks at my Nans over Christmas and we we were so pumped to see this it wasn't funny. Lived up to all of expectations and is my favourite SW film more because of the memory of the cinema, my mate, our geekiness at the time and absolutely hanging out to see the Vader v Skywalker fight. We knew Luke was going to win but we were both rooting for Vader biggrin

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4004320 - 09/03/14 09:05 AM Re: Movie Moments that Impacted You in Your Youth [Re: komemiute]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
[quote=undercovergeek][quote=komemiute]Want to talk about tears from grown ups?

About the last one, I though you meant My Life with Micheal Keaton... That made me cry too.

Is that the one where he does the vid for his son ? He has cancer or something ? If so i need to rewatch that, only saw it once but it left an impact as i have thought quite a few times about those scenes where he was making the film to show his son how to do things like shave etc for when he is not around.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.