Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4004103 - 09/02/14 07:42 PM Flying for Deutschland?  
Falcon988 Offline
Falcon988  Offline

Hello! I've been grounded from WOFF these past few months owing to technical issues, but I anticipate receiving some equipment this afternoon that will put an end to that and allow me to fly once more. Providing my joysticks and TrackIR still work correctly, I'd like to get back into the air this week.

Thing is, I've only EVER flown for either the British or Americans. Since I first played OFF in 2009!

This year I've been teaching myself to speak German as a third language (Native English speaker, fluent Spanish). So I'd like to fly for Olham's team for a change. Thinking about starting a career in summer 1918 flying DR VIIs. Now, I know that's going to be chaos, but I don't mind diving right into the deep end.

Anyhoo, I have a whole slew of knowledge about flying Allies. What color our flak is, how to best pop balloons, which German squadrons are easy pickings and which I need to run the hell away from, etc. But about all I know about flying for Germany is that I'll be spending 90% of my time on my side of the line, which sounds FANTASTIC to be honest because I hate offensive patrols with a passion.

So... tips and tricks I should know of from forum vets?

JAVITO1986 on the CombatAce forums!
#4004131 - 09/02/14 09:00 PM Re: Flying for Deutschland? [Re: Falcon988]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Hi Javito wave

Oh NO... troubles with Moya?

I'm spending more time flying German planes in WOFF than I did in OFF, but I'm no expert.

My tip; The german flak smoke is black which means EA nearby.

#4004146 - 09/02/14 09:39 PM Re: Flying for Deutschland? [Re: Falcon988]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Yeah, black Flak puffs are visible even better, especially among clouds.

But summer 1918, everything was lost for Germany - the spring offensive "Michael"
would have been the very last chance to turn the blade (if it ever was one).

There is no "Fokker Dr. VII" - you pick a Fokker Dr.I (Dreidecker) or a D.VII.
The Dr.I is a slow turnfighter. Very agile and good lift, but not fast enough for chasing.
The Fokker D.VII is an easy-to-fly allrounder, and the D.VII F with the BMW engine can
really climb on the prop. Great fighter.
For a short time, there is also the Fokker E.V (or D.III after re-introduction).
Especially Jasta 6 (good unit!) have them. A parasol Hochdecker, very agile,
but underpowered.

But that's about all I can say - I fly only Albatros, even when they get old.
I just love them, and I'd change from a D.V to a D.Va, and then even to the D.Va (200 hp),
and still not exchange it to a Fokker. They have a "soapbox-car" to me. I prefer plywood.

I prefer to fly between September 1916 and October 1917.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4004277 - 09/03/14 04:27 AM Re: Flying for Deutschland? [Re: Falcon988]  
Andy73 Offline
Andy73  Offline

Germany
I only fly for my Fatherland, never for the Allies yep

Pick up an Elite-Jasta, such as Jasta 2, Jasta6, Jasta 11, Jasta 18, Jasta 10, Jasta 4.
Jasta 10 never had Triplanes, but with them you can also fly the Pfalz D III, when you are serving in Jagdgeschwader 1.

For the first Time, start your Career in early 1918. Then you will start with the Albatros D V, in most Cases. Albatrosses are good Planes to start with!
You will need some Practice for the Fokker Triplane, but once you get it, you will have a deadly Weapon in the Sky. Fokker D VII is easier to fly, simply the best Plane you can fly on the German Side.

If you are starting in 1916, pick up one Date from October 1916 onwards. Then you will have the Albatros D II in most Cases, which is a good Counterpart to the Nieuports and Sopwith Pups at this Time. The Halberstadt D II is a moderate Plane and you can get some Kills with her, but it's outclassed by some Allied Scouts at this Time. If you are flying Albatrosses in late 1916, you will also have 2 Machineguns, which is a big Advantage against your Allied Opponents.

And last but not least, you will fly mostly over own Territory in your Career. It's a good Way to avoid becoming a POW pitchafit

Have Fun ar15

Last edited by Andy73; 09/03/14 04:37 AM.
#4004405 - 09/03/14 12:47 PM Re: Flying for Deutschland? [Re: Falcon988]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
My flying Experience is far inferior to the others, here - but anyhow, I played the complete war to the (unspectacular) End (no cool Extro) on the german side.
For the Fokker D7 Era with it's massive, large scale Dogfights, my 5 Cents are:

Stay on Top.

Don't follow a diving Enemy, until he is the last one, none of your Mates took care of. Spray some Bullets here and there to force Enemy Planes to go below you. Watch the Dogfights from above. If you see an Enemy following one of your Mates, let off a few Bursts from the Distance - no need to kill anyone - you just want to make the Enemy cut off his Chase. If everything happens according to Plan, your Team is chasing the Enemy, and you have all time in the World to pick your Prey. If no "free" Enemy is left, you can easily overtake one of your Enemy-pusuing-Mates with your Altitude Advantage and steal his Prey LOL
It is alway wise to have at least 600 Meters Distance to your Mob (when you are leading). This way you can lure Enemy Planes into engaging you. Some of them really are silly enough to dive directly between you... and a Truckload full of armed Spandau machine guns ;-)
This is especially useful when the Enemy is above you - and you still have to force them down to your Level, before you can force them below you... and then again:

Stay on Top.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM