Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4003934 - 09/02/14 11:55 AM Single again!  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Military canceled every 4 day except one since January and that one I was supposed to work until 3 days before the 4 day and it changed. My June leave was revoked. My GF just kept thinking I was ignoring her or with someone on the side because I was in the States. I tried explaining I am on an 2 hour recall at all times and I can't help that Boko Haram grabbed girls and Russia decided the Crimea needed to be re-possessed.

Ah well. Someday, I'll find a wife.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4003936 - 09/02/14 11:58 AM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Aw mate, don't rush. You're young...plenty of time. I made a complete new life in my forties.

You'll do just fine.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4003940 - 09/02/14 12:18 PM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
If her stated reasons were indeed her real ones (one never really knows for sure what's really going on in their heads wink ), I'd say you're better off in the long run.

She apparently was not yet mature enough to cope with..well..life.

Even though it's highly frustrating, these things do help "weed out" the spouses that are not meant to stay with us. Ideally, you'd want the one that stays with you through such inconvenient or hard periods of time.

OTOH, one would think that by now the Army might have noticed that its way of "re-scheduling" its soldiers spare time can cause trouble on the domestic front, and at least figured out a way to help smooth things over with its soldiers spouses. A kind letter from the CO, explaining why the Army had to cancel leave, etc.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4003942 - 09/02/14 12:34 PM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Welcome to the club Timothy cheers

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4003943 - 09/02/14 12:35 PM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Timothy, face the fact that the kind of unit you are associated with is going to be different than most of the rest. As long as you are playing with the high speed low drag units, you are not going to have regular hours and days. If you want and expect that you had better either transfer to another kind of duty or explore civilian life.

This is what you wanted. Just as someone said about shaking and weeding things out, it goes all ways.

It is a steep price to pay at times. Only you know how much you have in your account.

Losing a girlfriend always hurts and makes you feel weak. I hope a better one comes along quickly.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4003944 - 09/02/14 12:39 PM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
If she left you for those reasons she wasn't worth having in the first place imho.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4003948 - 09/02/14 01:04 PM Re: Single again! [Re: Mad Max]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: Mad Max
Aw mate, don't rush. You're young...plenty of time. I made a complete new life in my forties.

You'll do just fine.
^^^ This
Worked away from home a lot, it put a big strain on the marriage and eventually it broke in 1992. Then my career took off, with promotion, then I got moved to head office in London with another promotion, then poached to another company, met that special someone, took early retirement and have now settled down to a life with my soon to be new wife. We have been together for almost 10 years now and we are both very happy, I was 48 when we met.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4003967 - 09/02/14 01:46 PM Re: Single again! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
If she left you for those reasons she wasn't worth having in the first place imho.

Could be a case of just not the right match or at the right time. Can't blame her if she needed a different situation, just like Timothy.
That said, it's good you figured it out before moving forward with her. Breaking up with a GF can eventually be the best thing you can do for yourself. Sucks about your leave disappearing regularly like that. You deserve some time to keep your sanity.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4003968 - 09/02/14 01:47 PM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Lucky bugger.

#4004240 - 09/03/14 02:24 AM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
You should marry one of your fellow soldiers.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4004255 - 09/03/14 03:08 AM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Did not get married till I was 34. Son is off in Welding school now and the wife and me are celebrating
20 years together and on this job. Be patient, the right one will come your way.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4004261 - 09/03/14 03:15 AM Re: Single again! [Re: toonces]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: toonces

This.

Or you could just join the Triple F club...(if we let you in)

Find em #%&*$# and Forget em......

Shallow but lots of fun while young.

Get over the drama. Have fun while you can.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4004296 - 09/03/14 07:04 AM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Two things.

1) getting married is not a checkbox to tick as soon as possible. Depending on the situation it might even not be needed at all. I got married at 34. I had no rush- there's no need. And I actually think it's only partially about what you look in others, it's mainly knowing yourself.

2) IIRC there were some pictures in the girlfriend thread. Given what's going on the internet as of late- I'd remove them.

Apart from this- I wouldn't worry too much about the future.
It's painful now but life always has a way, an hour still lasts only an hour, a day just lasts a day and before you know it you're high above it.

PS: I fought that by working out and enlisting in an Aikido course. Just pure defensive. But boy it's intense.
thumbsup

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4004458 - 09/03/14 03:02 PM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
With the delay in maturity of children in the past few decades, the date of when it's a good time to look to get married has pushed out as well.

No one around my age or younger (41) who I know who got married before I did (at age 25) is still married to that same person now. Some are married, but to their 2nd or 3rd. Most are single but in a relationship.

NONE have said they wished they were back with the first spouse, ALL said it was a mistake.

Now some got married older than I did, and STILL got divorced.
However, my wife and I knew each other for 3 years before we got married, and lived together for 2.5 of those, so there were no surprises. We knew each other very well, got along very well, and the marriage was more a legal formality to make things like insurance and such easier as we were already married before that as far as how we thought of it.

Just had the 16th anniversary and we've never once spent a night apart in anger (different rooms/dwellings/etc) and we have relatively few arguments, usually over dumb things when we're stressed. Worst time was when we were both unemployed as we are both subject to depression, but even then we never thought of splitting up.

I have come to think we are the exception rather than the rule, however. biggrin

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4004810 - 09/04/14 03:51 AM Re: Single again! [Re: oldgrognard]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
Timothy, face the fact that the kind of unit you are associated with is going to be different than most of the rest. As long as you are playing with the high speed low drag units, you are not going to have regular hours and days. If you want and expect that you had better either transfer to another kind of duty or explore civilian life.

This is what you wanted. Just as someone said about shaking and weeding things out, it goes all ways.

It is a steep price to pay at times. Only you know how much you have in your account.

Losing a girlfriend always hurts and makes you feel weak. I hope a better one comes along quickly.

I know. It's a hard knock life. Not too many people can say I've done what I've done. Not too many people can say while being in the US they had an important roll in having helped saved lives on the other side of the planet (Can't say more than that). I wouldn't trade what I have seen and done. That said, I still pray and hope they fix my leg, because then it will be a whole different world I'm in.

Few people, even in the Army can say that they have fast roped, jumped, learned to build IEDs, breech buildings, and been on training insertions.

It's a high price, but I accepted it.

I know a wife isn't a check mark, but I do truly hope to have children someday, I'm in my mid-30s.

Thanks for the kind words.

Learn Economics at:
Carthago delenda est
#4004813 - 09/04/14 04:00 AM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
And of course military life and marriage/relationships is a tough pair. It sure took a toll on my parents who divorced a few years before the old man retired after 32yrs in the USCG. Your still young though I'm sorry you have to go through tough times with a significant other.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4005254 - 09/05/14 02:25 AM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
I know it's tough. I won't be able to retire, they keep putting age cut-offs and other things that makes it harder for a late entry in the military to make a career. I've got a goal here though, and I'm going for it. I just wish I could have spent my life with her. I told her I wanted to start a business after my service and work everyday with her. So you can tell I was smitten with her. I just never want to divorce. I see my parents and a few other couples' marriages and I'm like, "I want that kind of relationship!"

Thanks for the kind words.

Learn Economics at:
Carthago delenda est
#4005291 - 09/05/14 05:22 AM Re: Single again! [Re: Timothy]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
My first wife played around. I was 19 and she was 16 when we met...just too young. We were together for 18 years but I can't say it was a lot of fun after the first few years.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4005300 - 09/05/14 07:09 AM Re: Single again! [Re: toonces]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Don't ask, don't tell? wink j/k

#4006581 - 09/08/14 05:16 AM Re: Single again! [Re: toonces]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Hmmm...

...ya...I don't agree. Of all the couples who were both in uniform... none of them lasted more than 10 years. Actually, none of them lasted period.

But your mileage may vary.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.