Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4003695 - 09/01/14 06:20 PM Are 3D printers worth it?  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Ok, so I'm not gonna lie, I have my finger on the trigger for this Prusa i3 thingie. Quite expensive around these parts of the world, pretty much two full monthly salaries. biggrin I'm 99.99% percent sure I'm gonna buy it, but I'd like to hear from you guys. If you have some deal breaking piece of information.

So has anyone tried those things? Do they work, at least for something? I know I won't be able to print a HOTAS with them (although I'm thinking about it :)), but do they actually work for more simpler stuff?

I have no idea how they work, if there is maintenance to do and how complicated (= costly) it tends to be. I know the plastics to print are quite expensive for what they are (a spool of ABS thread, come on...). But I'm not sure about the nuzzle and this and that and if they need to be replaced often.

In short, play the part of the wife I don't have and convince me that I shouldn't buy it. biggrin

Last edited by WileECoyote; 09/01/14 06:22 PM.

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4003741 - 09/01/14 08:11 PM Re: Are 3D printers worth it? [Re: WileECoyote]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Look up 3D printing failures and decide from there.1

#4003750 - 09/01/14 08:37 PM Re: Are 3D printers worth it? [Re: WileECoyote]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: WileECoyote

In short, play the part of the wife I don't have and convince me that I shouldn't buy it. biggrin

I need a new dress... and of course shoes to go with it... and of course some accessories.... You never take me out anymore... My birthday is coming up, spend some of that money on me you tightwad instead of those silly computer games.

#4003760 - 09/01/14 08:58 PM Re: Are 3D printers worth it? [Re: WileECoyote]  
Billzilla Offline
Billzilla  Offline

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Yes they're a very handy gadget.
I make pieces for other people, so much so that the machine has paid for itself several times over. I'd like to be better with CAD though so I could create and modify various pieces better than I can now.

Out of ammo
Out of energy
Out of ideas
Down to harsh language
#4003761 - 09/01/14 08:58 PM Re: Are 3D printers worth it? [Re: WileECoyote]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.

Luleå/Norrbotten/Sweden
Buy it. Your imagninary wife always has a headache anyway. smile

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#4003774 - 09/01/14 09:32 PM Re: Are 3D printers worth it? [Re: WileECoyote]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
I suppose it depends exactly what you want to do with a 3D printer.

I've not been able to make any model aeroplanes for a couple of years now due to lack of space. I'm hoping to be moving to a much bigger place next month so I can start pursuing that hobby again..... in which case I can see myself getting a 3D printer at some point because I can make my own parts for models, the kind of stuff that would need a correction or conversion set traditionally.

#4003790 - 09/01/14 11:02 PM Re: Are 3D printers worth it? [Re: WileECoyote]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Given that you explicitly asked for a contrary view:

Prepare for endless hours of tinkering with 3D models and printing parameters to get the parts right. I have a friend with one and he's really into it, but the number of practical applications so far has been small. I suppose as the technology matures it will probably become more relevant for the private user, but so far the practical highlights were:
  • replicating a missing Lego brick from a set
  • a can with screw cap to collect small bits and pieces
  • two "nice but non-essential" watchtower models for a boardgame with miniatures
  • a display stand for my Star Trek Enterprise pizza cutter
  • hooks for towels that look worse than what you can buy for less than the printing costs, and in less time if you factor in the tinker/preparation phase

In summary: So far it looks like the solution in search of a problem to me.

#4003792 - 09/01/14 11:05 PM Re: Are 3D printers worth it? [Re: Falstar]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Well, I mostly want it to print little pieces for my Arduino projects. You know some holder here, some oddly shape battery holder there, some little L+T+hole-over-here shape, custom button faces...

In that regard, I'm more interested in functionality of the printe pieces than the looks.

I suppose I could also use it to print a myriad of other not so important things like custom baggage tags or wire management hooks. I also need a spoon with a very peculiar shape that I could certainly make.

So ideas to build, I really have plenty. My main concern is that the maintenance of the thing will be simply too much for its benefits. I don't seem to find "insider" stories of real every day usage, so that's my concern.

Originally Posted By: Falstar

I need a new dress... and of course shoes to go with it... and of course some accessories.... You never take me out anymore... My birthday is coming up, spend some of that money on me you tightwad instead of those silly computer games.

I'm sorry but you played that card last summer when we were discussing your mother coming along with us in our holiday.

Originally Posted By: Immermann
Buy it. Your imagninary wife always has a headache anyway. smile

Yeah... Imagine what will happen when she finds out about the printer. Imagination is what I'll need... if you catch my drift. wink

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#4003793 - 09/01/14 11:07 PM Re: Are 3D printers worth it? [Re: Ssnake]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
[*]hooks for towels that look worse than what you can buy for less than the printing costs, and in less time if you factor in the tinker/preparation phase[/list]

Yeah, that's something I don't plan on oing. If I buy it, it will be used to print stuff that simply doesn't exist or I can't buy because it's made in the Ukraine.

#4004223 - 09/03/14 01:22 AM Re: Are 3D printers worth it? [Re: WileECoyote]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
This guy from Minnesota has just built a 3D printer that uses concrete and made his own Castle.

Check out his website, he planes to build his own 2 story house with it.
http://www.totalkustom.com/3d-castle-completed.html

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.