#4002808 - 08/30/14 01:46 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Cold_Flying]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Cold_Flying
Originally Posted By: Meatsheild
no sympathy for speeders, hope they bleed you dry.

I'm afraid I agree. Let the tickets fly.

The sign doesn't say "Please try to go 50", or " About 50", or "50 When you feel like it". The sign simply says [b]50 and the consequences of not following the speed limit are known to people who have never even driven a car in their life.[/b]

Having had friends and family killed and injured in car accidents because of people drinking and driving, and speeding, and having watched while an SUV blew through a Stop sign and plowed into the car my wife and kids were in (no injuries, the kids were in ski gear with helmets on, thank you God), I have no sympathy, none, not a shred, for those who endanger others because they think the rules of the road are only for other people.

really?!

those limits(like the 100km/h on highways) were made more than 60 years ago.
they are plain ridiculous slow.....

95% of people here in Quebec drives AT LEAST at 60kph on 50kph limits, you should know it.
Now, I don't know were he got cought, but if it was in residential area near a school/children than it's plain stupid to run at 70. But there is a sh*t load of roads that should be way over 50 but they don't change it.

Near where I live, there is a bridge that pass over the highway, it's 4 line large, and it's a 2km straight line with nothing on either side. People drives over 80kph often, and cops know this... they just wait on the other side to make quick bucks, but nobody is at risk there.

XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Samsung 23'' 1920*1080
CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz Keyboard: Logitech G15
GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: G700s
PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saitek X55, TrackIr5
RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz
Case: Cooler Master 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4002825 - 08/30/14 02:24 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Genbrien]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Genbrien

really?!

Oui. smile2

those limits(like the 100km/h on highways) were made more than 60 years ago.
they are plain ridiculous slow.....

95% of people here in Quebec drives AT LEAST at 60kph on 50kph limits, you should know it.
Now, I don't know were he got cought, but if it was in residential area near a school/children than it's plain stupid to run at 70. But there is a sh*t load of roads that should be way over 50 but they don't change it.

Yes, I know it very well. People here in Quebec drive too fast and too close to the car ahead. Our roads are terrible and so are a lot of drivers. The only time some people drive the speed limit is during a snowstorm, and then the idiot is driving 100kph in reduced visibility, horrible road conditions, and God help everyone if he has to stop suddenly.

Near where I live, there is a bridge that pass over the highway, it's 4 line large, and it's a 2km straight line with nothing on either side. People drives over 80kph often, and cops know this... they just wait on the other side to make quick bucks, but nobody is at risk there.

If the sign says 50 in great big fat black numbers visible from a reasonable distance to a person not suffering from macular or cognitive degeneration, then 50 it is. If the driver either cannot see or understand the road signs or suffers from a condition that makes it impossible for him to control the speed of his vehicle while driving, then he should lose his license.

Question everything!
#4002831 - 08/30/14 02:37 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Cold_Flying]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada

People here in Quebec drive too fast and too close to the car ahead. Our roads are terrible and so are a lot of drivers.

I agree

Quote:
If the driver either cannot see or understand the road signs or suffers from a condition that makes it impossible for him to control the speed of his vehicle while driving, then he should lose his license.

I can see them
I understand them
I can control my car
as a lot of people on the road.
Yet I can use my common sense and drive a little 10 over the limit in safe situations without beeing a psyco mass murderer

#4002833 - 08/30/14 02:39 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Linebacker]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Cold_Flying, you'd get run over and killed in Birmingham if you followed the speed limit on the Interstate. When everyone is doing 65-75 MPH in all three traffic lanes the posted 55 MPH is a hazard.

Flow of traffic and road conditions are the key, IMHO.

What I hate more than anything else is people who can't read all of the sign that indicates the allowable speed. On the way to my weekend job the speed limit is 45 MPH, except for a school zone where the limit drops to 25 - but only during certain hours. This morning - a Saturday - I got stuck behind some jerk that decided to slam on his brakes and crawl along at 20 MPH through that area. I'm a big fan of large following distances so it wasn't a hazard to me that he did so, but wow, what an idiot.

OTOH, through our residential neighborhood it's posted at 20, but owing to the large number of both kids and old people who wander around aimlessly on the road (even though there are sidewalks) it's more like 15, especially considering they made the roads sort of snakey.

I had an opportunity to talk to a guy that actually designs roads and determines safe speed limits on them and he said that they set it at 15 under the "safe speed" for the road with a standard passenger car, knowing most people will drive five over it and some ten.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4002838 - 08/30/14 02:46 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Linebacker]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada
here in Quebec 10kph over is well accepted and generally you don't have to stress when you see a cop. How is it in the States?(5mph?)

#4002840 - 08/30/14 02:49 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Linebacker]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Yep, generally five MPH is the grace zone.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4002841 - 08/30/14 02:49 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Genbrien]  
Falcon Six Two Offline
Resident BAMF
Falcon Six Two  Offline
Resident BAMF

NJ
here in Quebec 10kph over is well accepted and generally you don't have to stress when you see a cop. How is it in the States?(5mph?)

Depends where you are in the country. Policing is very, very regional. By that I mean different attitudes and priorities wherever you are.

Celeritas, Impetus, Violentia
#4002845 - 08/30/14 02:57 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Genbrien]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada

I can see them
I understand them
I can control my car
as a lot of people on the road.
Yet I can use my common sense and drive a little 10 over the limit in safe situations without beeing a psyco mass murderer

You would, of course, not be a psychotic mass murderer. But you would be guilty of speeding, subject to a fine, and having knowingly violated the law, you would not be in a position to complain about the fine you would receive unless the law was actually unjust and a violation of your rights. Do you think this is the case?

I can use my common sense and say that just because Canadian Tire closes at 6pm and I arrive at 6:01pm that they should let me in to shop anyway, but they will cite the rules and not let me in. Should I be upset with them or come to terms with my own misunderstanding of the rules?

Question everything!
#4002847 - 08/30/14 03:08 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Cold_Flying]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada
But you would be guilty of speeding, subject to a fine, and having knowingly violated the law, you would not be in a position to complain about the fine you would receive unless the law was actually unjust and a violation of your rights.

I agree, I took the risk.
Only got 1 ticket in my life, was 6 years ago. 118kph in a 90kph zone in a rural area, followed by 6 cars that was tailgating me. The police caught me(because 1st of the line) and got 250$ ticket +3pts.
I paid

Quote:
I can use my common sense and say that just because Canadian Tire closes at 6pm and I arrive at 6:01pm that they should let me in to shop anyway, but they will cite the rules and not let me in. Should I be upset with them or come to terms with my own misunderstanding of the rules?

your analogy is very wrong, as you are comparing rules that were made more than 60 years ago on old tech that are way obsolete but the gouv dont want to update them
and rules made by a private store.
+ your common sense would be very bad

EDIT:

To the OP.
I don't know how anyone can drive without their seatbelt.
1-for me, it doesnt feel confortable as the seatbelt kinda maintain you in your seat while in a curve
2-maybe it's because at my work we're picking up at least once a month with our medevac someone that made an accident and see the consequences. Last week, a 17yo boy did some barrel with his car and his arm was completely ripped off his body...
Seriously, wear it man thumbsup

Last edited by Genbrien; 08/30/14 03:13 PM.

#4002854 - 08/30/14 03:18 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Linebacker]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Here's a T-shirt for all it applies to:

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#4002856 - 08/30/14 03:20 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Genbrien]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
I agree, I took the risk.
Only got 1 ticket in my life, was 6 years ago. 118kph in a 90kph zone in a rural area, followed by 6 cars that was tailgating me. The police caught me(because 1st of the line) and got 250$ ticket +3pts.
I paid

I got one for blowing a stop sign when I was 18, and a few others for technical violations on my motorcycle (paperwork, broken headlight). No speeding tickets ever.

your analogy is very wrong, as you are comparing rules that were made more than 60 years ago on old tech that are way obsolete but the gouv dont want to update them
and rules made by a private store.
+ your common sense would be very bad

Not the first time I've heard that here. smile

Who cares when the rules were made if they still make sense. And they do.

Question everything!
#4002860 - 08/30/14 03:33 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Cold_Flying]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada

Who cares when the rules were made if they still make sense. And they do.

oh well, I guess we'll never agree cheers

Still asking myself why France can go up to 130kph and Germany up to 250kph but not us nor the States? sigh
Anyway, it's OT
Have a nice day! smile

#4002894 - 08/30/14 04:30 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Linebacker]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I think stupid drivers are much more of a danger than those who go a small percentage over the speed limit. That's a reason I have a hard time with speeding tickets - most people who go a few mph over the limit are still pretty safe, but a lot of the drivers going slow are dangerous, because they're not paying attention, but they never get pulled over.

The last ticket I got was almost 10 years ago, and it really chapped my hide because of the circumstances. I was driving on a road with a 45mph limit, two lanes in each direction. I had pulled up behind a vehicle at a stop light, and when the light turned green, they didn't immediately start to move. After a couple of seconds, they started, but very slowly. Traffic in the lane next to me was zipping by, and there was no way to change lanes and go around them.

After a few more seconds of driving, with them never reaching the posted limit, they actually started drifting around, into the lane on the left a little, then on to the shoulder a little. That's when I noticed they were reading, holding up papers to read as they drove. About that time we came to another red light, so we stopped. Same thing as last time - they don't go immediately, and then they go slowly, and start to drift, and all the time there is too much traffic passing me in the other lane to get around them.

We then come to another light, and stop. Light turns green, and a few seconds after they start moving, I get a break and go around them. I wanted to put a little distance between me and them, seeing as they weren't paying attention, so I accelerated and just about the time I hit 10mph over the limit, a cop steps out from behind a bush waving me to pull over, and I get a ticket. I wasn't over the limit for more than a few seconds at that point.

So, me, paying attention, and trying to avoid someone who is clearly a road hazard gets pulled over, as the person not paying attention and endangering others drives right by. I see stupid, unsafe driving all the time, but somehow those people never get tickets, so they think they're good drivers, while people going a little over the limit get tickets because it's easy to catch them with a radar gun. It just doesn't make any sense.

Just a couple of days ago, I was driving down the street approaching an intersection, and the road widened to add a right lane. I was going to make a right turn just past the intersection, so I put on my signal and changed to the right lane. Traffic in the left lane was backed up from the light, so, while I wasn't speeding, I still passed up traffic in that lane. Out of the blue some car decided they wanted to make a right turn and just started drifting over into my lane. I hit the breaks, head for the side of the road, and honk my horn. They're oblivious, and just keep coming. I thought, "OK, I guess these guys are going to hit me," and got ready for impact. Between my getting to the edge of the road, and slowing the vehicle, they missed me, but I'm not sure they ever knew what was going on, even though I was blasting the horn right next to them.

I see stuff like that every day, yet because they go slow, they never get tickets, but people driving at safe speeds for the conditions, just a little over the posted limit, get pulled over all the time. Just seems like a whacky priority.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4002905 - 08/30/14 04:43 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Falcon Six Two]  
RacerGT Offline
Admin
RacerGT  Offline
Admin

Miami, FL
exactly, these people going 15 MPH below the limit in the left lane on a highway are asking for a disaster....

all is fine in Germany on the autobahn with no limits.... speed limits are based on a low common denominators of bad drivers, old cars and revenue...

Originally Posted By: Falcon Six Two
Oh come on guys, you can't all be serious that you ALL drive the speed limit. There's this whole holier than thou thing going on.

I'm not saying rocket down residential streets, but you're acting like he just blew up an orphanage.

I work as an EMS professional. I go to far more accidents caused by idiots driving too slow than speeding.

The no seatbelt thing is what it is. If you're an adult, and you decide not to wear a seatbelt, then that's on you. Ain't gonna tell you how to live your life.

#4002910 - 08/30/14 04:49 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Linebacker]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

When I was ~14, I got hit by a car doing about 10-20 kph over the speed limit crossing the street. If he hadn't, he most likely would've been able to stop before hitting me. I was lucky to get out of that with bruises, so I have positively zero sympathy for you Linebacker. Even if it takes a million drivers speeding to get someone killed, injured or just hit by a car it doesn't matter. The time they've gained because they couldn't be bothered sticking to the designated speed isn't worth what happens when they hit someone, be it another vehicle or a pedestrian.

#4002911 - 08/30/14 04:57 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Linebacker]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Sure, there are some idiots who need to be stopped and fined, but by and large most people drive very safely at or a little above the posted limits. Sometimes I have to scratch my head as to what they were thinking when deciding what the limit should be for a particular stretch of road.
Around here it seems some kind of fuzzy logic was used.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4002918 - 08/30/14 05:19 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: Linebacker]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Man, if I contributed to this thread you would denounce me as Satan.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4002927 - 08/30/14 05:34 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: oldgrognard]  
Falcon Six Two Offline
Resident BAMF
Falcon Six Two  Offline
Resident BAMF

NJ
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard

Come on brother, let's hear it!

Celeritas, Impetus, Violentia
#4002929 - 08/30/14 05:40 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: oldgrognard]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA

Reminds me of the time my wife comes up to me with a concerned look on her face after driving from Birmingham to Atlanta.

"Something's wrong with the Cobra."
"What is it?"
"Well, I was driving on the interstate and got this wicked vibration and the Check Engine light came on," she says with my eyes widening.
"When did it happen?' I ask, then clarify, "I mean, was it continuous or just under some conditions?"
"Only part of the time," she says, frowning, "it started at around ninety two miles an hour and went away at about ninety-six."
"Well, there's your problem," I intone with rolling eyes.
"Yeah, well, she accelerates pretty well between those speeds so it's not a huge problem but you probably need to look into it."
"Um, honey, maybe you shouldn't be driving that fast."
"What?" she says incredulously, "the tires are rated for 140 MPH and I stayed twenty below that just to stay on the safe side."

hahaha

banghead

From Laser:
#4002933 - 08/30/14 05:54 PM Re: Been Caught Speeding [Re: oldgrognard]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada

Speed Demon Satan or Lowspeed Lucifer?

Question everything!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.